Rescue Remedy

I have seen Rescue Remedy mentioned a few times

how good is it ?

I have a cocker spaniel who is petrified of thunder , and fireworks , vacum cleaner

and the dryer in mobile doggy wash , and my smoke detector if it goes of

it is the thunder and fireworks that are my main concern

I am honme 99% of the time , so when they start she is always inside the house , but shakeing non stop for a hour or so after they have stopped

in what forms does it come

where do you get it from

and how much would you give

it seems as though a few DOL's use it

any advice Please

Thanks

I havent actually had to use it for a dog, but I had to get some the other day for a indian ringneck (bird) that wasnt too well. it comes in a bottle with a dropper. Seeing how well it worked on my bird and seeing my sisters cat that had been shot in the head, I would highly recomend having some at home just in case.

It will not stop your dog being terrified and I have found it works for some animals and not others.

Ditto. On its own, I am not confident of its effectiveness. IMO (from what I've heard from others - trainers and non-trainers alike) coupling a behaviour modification program with Rescue Remedy can increase its effectiveness and/or help in the program. But not all the time - depends on the dog.

my sisters cat that had been shot in the head,, oh the poor cat , how terrible

I use it on me. Works wonders when Im stressing. , now sounds like I could use some at times

It will not stop your dog being terrified and I have found it works for some animals and not others.

coupling a behaviour modification program

would it not give her a bit of calming affect ?

Erny - what sort of modification program could I try

when the thunder or fireworks start her first places are behind bathroom door, in the toilet , or under the lounge I have in the computer room

I dont fuss over her , I leave her to be , I will sit in the room with her and let her stay under the lounge

if the power goes out with the thunder storm , we go to lounge room , after a few minutes she comes in and then huddles right next to me , or in between myself and OH and other dog

I was told not to fuss over her

but it is awfull watching her shiver and shake like that even after it all finished

thanks

Nugget, my ex foster, was fretting heaps when he went to his new home. His 'mum' thought it might have been cos he became a little attached to me. Anyway, she bought some rescue remedy and she said it worked wonders :mad After giving it to him, he wasn't fretting as much and even started snuggling to her.

In what forms does it come?

dropper (liquid), spray, cream and pastilles. I have bought a small dropper bottle to keep for rescue dogs.

Where do you get it from?

You will find it at your local health stores but you can also buy it online if you do online shopping

How much would you give?

The recommended dose is about 4 drops for an adult. Nugget's 'mum' gave him 2 drops and put a couple of drops in his water and she said it worked great :laugh: She doesn't really use it now cos Nugget is now settled.

I have seen Rescue Remedy mentioned a few times

how good is it ?

I have a cocker spaniel who is petrified of thunder , and fireworks , vacum cleaner

and the dryer in mobile doggy wash , and my smoke detector if it goes of

it is the thunder and fireworks that are my main concern

I am honme 99% of the time , so when they start she is always inside the house , but shakeing non stop for a hour or so after they have stopped

any advice Please

It's one of those things that works for some people and not for others. Personally, I don't bother with it but my partner does. My observation is that it can take the edge off, but that it can't deal with the source of the problem. If you decide to try it, get it in a spray bottle rather than dropper, it's easier to administer.

Have you asked your vet about this?

For thunder and fireworks I agree with Erny that behavioural training is a good idea. It sounds like she's pretty freaky so you might need to get advice from a good behaviourist.

There are people who swear by melatonin for fireworks and thunder but you have to give it before the dog is showing signs of distress. For dogs under 25 pounds, the dosage is 1.5 or 3.0 mg up to three times a day (most dogs only need 1.5 mg). For dogs over 25 pounds, the dosage is 3,.0 or 6.0 mg up to three times a day (most dogs only need 3.0 mg). I'm just some random person on the internet tho', check with your vet. I'm lucky in that my dogs were bred by a breeder who lives near a RAAF base - we have never had to worry about loud noises and I haven't tried the melatonin myself.

Works fabulously well - though I have found the 'Australian Bush Remedies' seem to work faster. Rescue Remedy is not the right one to use for thunder and loud noises....can't remember which one is better.... (damn Alzheimer's!)... pm me if you're interested and by that time I should have remembered...(and brushed my teeth with Dencorub).

I have used it tonight for the first time. It's Cracker Night tonight - when anyone and everyone lets off fireworks. It's supposed to be from 6pm to 11pm tonight only.

Last night it had already started. Indy was a shivering sook who HAD to sit on my lap, Keg basically ignored it and Llewie (corgi we're minding temporarily) stands and barks at each bang.

I knew tonight was going to be HEAPS worse, so I got some RR at the chemist. Gave each dog one drop each about 4.30pm, and then another at about 7. Indy's had the shivers for a bit, but mostly the boys have been inside sleeping. :rofl:

Every now and then at a particularly big bang they might twitch their ears or lift a head up. I'm sold on the stuff now - I don't think the change particularly in Indy's behaviour is a coincidence at all. :angel:

I am haveing trouble with quotes for some reason tonight so will copy them

Have you asked your vet about this? I havent asked as yet , as didnt know it excisted until recently reading some threads about it

For thunder and fireworks I agree with Erny that behavioural training is a good idea. It sounds like she's pretty freaky so you might need to get advice from a good behaviourist. ----- in her 10 1/2 years she hasnt tried to escape or anything like that , but as mentioned she hides behind doors or under lounge and just shakes

I myself hate thunder storms , but never show it to her , in fact she has made me a bit stronger with them , as I see how scared she gets

the only time I might give a small scream is when it hits LOUD and right overhead

sort of a spontaneous CRACK suddenly

I would never leave her outside in the yard at all knowing how freaked she can get ,

if it is bedtime and thundering I actually put her on the bed inbetween us , so she feels more secure there , no fussing her just let her sleep there , until she ready to get of

Works fabulously well - though I have found the 'Australian Bush Remedies' seem to work faster. Rescue Remedy is not the right one to use for thunder and loud noises....can't remember which one is better.... (damn Alzheimer's!)... pm me if you're interested and by that time I should have remembered...(and brushed my teeth with Dencorub).

:rofl::angel:

the NYEve of the new mellimun (2000) I knew was going to be bad with fireworks around here , the vet gave us some tabs ( cant remember name ) BUT he said they would make her really dopey , BUT we knew no matter how dopey she would be , she would go running and could probally have hurt herself , so we decided not to use them , we managed to keep her busy by playing chase the ball outside

our other dog doesnt mind thunder or fireworks and he wants to bark at it outside

knew tonight was going to be HEAPS worse, so I got some RR at the chemist. Gave each dog one drop each about 4.30pm, and then another at about 7. Indy's had the shivers for a bit, but mostly the boys have been inside sleeping ---- roughly how long it takes to work ?

thanks