Endurance Tests

I am looking at entering an Endurance Test next winter with my dog, and was just wondering what is required in the obedience part?

SACA's website only states:

Prior to the Test and at the completion of the Test, after the final 15 minute rest period, a short obedience test is conducted on and off lead to include a recall.

Is there much to it?

My girl is obedient but she wouldn't gain any obedience titles at the moment! She is only just over a year old and we are working on it. I would love to know what to expect though.

Thanks.

Hi,

All that is required is very basic stuff, willingness to please; with heeling, right about turns, left about turns, sit preferably automatic, maybe a drop or down, a stand and a short recall, I think it was a short distance off lead.

Sue :rofl:

I think the SA endurance test - don't quote me but the recall is just like a puppy recall. So dog on lead and you run backwards and call the dog. I know it can all be done on-lead which is highly recommended in case the dog is a bit tired after :rofl: . But yeah its just to show the dog is under control and can still work after and usually not much to worry about.

I didn't realise it was that basic - I knew it was below CCD standard but I wasn't sure.

You'd want it to be basic though - imagine doing all the training required, doing the 2 hours on the day only to have your dog fail the obedience bit at the end :rofl:

feralpup, that's what I was worried about! :rolleyes: Thank you for everyone's replies, Poppy and I will be working on our fitness together as soon as my exams for this year are done. We will keep up the obedience so that she passes that part easily. :p

Just remember that there is an age requirement for ET's which from memory is 2 years of age minimum and a maximum of 7 years of age.

You will need to confirm with the rules as to that tho.

I dont think i have ever seen a dog fail the obedience part as it is so basic and it your choice as to whether or not it is done off or on lead.

A few years back now, but when I did it at Ipswich Dog Obed Club, I think it was

Forward

Right about turn

Stand

Forward

Left About Turn

Halt

Leave dog to end of lead

Recall

Return to your dog

once at the start, once at the end

Everyone did it on-lead - see you have to do the same (on/off lead) at the start and the end - if the dogs buggered, it may not willingly work off-lead at the finish :D

-WithEverythingIAm