Tasty Royal Canin

Tahni was brought up on Royal Canin Mini Jr, but lately, she's just been turning her nose up at it. She wasn't overly eager to eat it before, but she flat out refuses to eat it now.

I've tried mashing a little sardine through it, or some yoghurt, but she still doesnt' seem keen. We're only part way through a 3kg pack and I just don't know what to do.

What else can I add to make her interested in her bikkies?

Any suggestions for bikkies for fussy chis?

Tahni was brought up on Royal Canin Mini Jr, but lately, she's just been turning her nose up at it. She wasn't overly eager to eat it before, but she flat out refuses to eat it now.

I've tried mashing a little sardine through it, or some yoghurt, but she still doesnt' seem keen. We're only part way through a 3kg pack and I just don't know what to do.

What else can I add to make her interested in her bikkies?

Any suggestions for bikkies for fussy chis?

First of all you can always return RC and get your money back.

However I had a very similar problem with my dog and her RC. She wouldn't eat it for a day or two. During that time I didn't offer her anything else, so after that she started eating it again and she loved it more than before! :D We finished a bag (15kg) but than I decided to try her on Nutro.

My 3 dogs are on royal canin mini adult.. They were on mini Jr, I did notice with the mini Jr sometimes they wouldnt eat it, my youngest would eat everything eles but spit the kibble out lol...but if they dont finsh there meal in 10-15 mins i will pick it up and try later on.. But now they are on mini adult they dont even look twice lol they ho it down quick smart.. I also give them raw Beef lamb or chicken with sometimes sardines or bit of cheese with there kibble..We make our own yogurt for the dogs..

Could maybe try tuna? or makrel or salmon?

How old is your puppy?

Edited by Daxhound

Guest Amy Rose

My dog was VERY fussy when I first got him from the pound, he flat out refused to eat Nutro and Eagle Pack :laugh: The only food he would eat was Pal.

I tried mixing the kibble with other food, but he wouldn't eat it, no matter what I did. So I donated it to a shelter, and started him on Supercoat. He loved it, but it made his poos disgusting, he lost weight and his overall condition dropped drastically. So in despair, I started feeding him chicken necks and bones, bought a packet of Coles frozen mixed veggies and put some chicken stock and rice with it for him, while I searched for something to feed him on.

I ended up buying him Optimum (the oral care variety, because his teeth are pretty bad), and he LOVES it. I can't feed it to him by itself though. So I feed the dry, pet mince from Lennards (it's only a dollar a kilo and they mince the bones into it, it's GREAT, I feed it to my cat too), the frozen veggies microwaved for a few seconds, wings, meaty bones, cheese or yoghurt, and oily fish.

I believe most commercial dog food companies offer sample food? Maybe you could send away for some and see what your pup does best on?

Hope this helps! :o

EFS.

Edited by Amy Rose

Dogs can get bored with the same food - why not seal the food in a bag and store it in a cool dark cupboard for a month while you try some other food? She will probably eat some now and then to help finish off the bag.

My 3 dogs are on royal canin mini adult.. They were on mini Jr, I did notice with the mini Jr sometimes they wouldnt eat it, my youngest would eat everything eles but spit the kibble out lol...but if they dont finsh there meal in 10-15 mins i will pick it up and try later on.. But now they are on mini adult they dont even look twice lol they ho it down quick smart.. I also give them raw Beef lamb or chicken with sometimes sardines or bit of cheese with there kibble..We make our own yogurt for the dogs..

Could maybe try tuna? or makrel or salmon?

How old is your puppy?

She's 19 weeks old this Sunday.

I've tried adding a little cheese with the bikkies too, and she does like that, but I use cheese as a training treat, so want to limit how much she gets out of training time....

I've got a couple dogs in kennels whose owner supplied Royal Canin Jr for them. They are very happy pinching the ProPlan small dog that I've given the other small dogs in their exercise area.

I can just imagine.

Gaetana steals the cat's bikkies. I have to keep moving them up higher so she can't get to them.

My pup turned his nose up at Nutro, i now have 7 kgs of it just lying around!!

I now feed him BARF patties and the odd handful of EP holistic Anchovy, which he doesn't mind.

I gave him a handful of some cheapo kibble once and he went NUTS over it!

Typical.

Edited by amypie

Nutro... Ok, I'll go see if the vet has any.

What do you guys think of those meat packs (you know, the ones that look like big knobs of polony) that they sell at the vets? Do little dogs need specific ones or are they more of a one meat feeds all thing?

What I do in these cold nights is zap the nutro in the microwave for 20 seconds with a tiny bit of natures gift canned food in it they gulp it down like their is no tomorrow :thumbsup:

Tahni is a smart cookie!

Maybe you can take this opportunity to upgrade her to a better quality food with less fillers and better ingredients?

But she's already on Royal Canin. I thought that was good for them???

Royal Canin doesn't use the best of ingredients and it is full of fillers - it is not a super-premium brand that uses holistic or human grade ingredients - have a look at this website and then read the label on a pack of RC and a pack of Nutro or Eagle Pack Holistic or DVP Natural Balance.

I don't think your vet will carry Nutro -

Nope. I checked yesterday and they don't stock anything but Science Diet.

They have a mini puppy variety in this- should I try it?

Is any one else's dog on Science Diet?

I had a look at the ingredients and the first ingredient is corn meal..... that doesn't sound right to me.

You are correct, first ingredient corn is NOT right! Science Diet and Hills are not great quality either...

Can you buy Tahni's food at a petstore or online and get her onto a better quality food?

I just realized I did not add the link to The Dog Food Project in the previous post - sorry!

Here it is:

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients

Edited by Gomez the Norfolk

You are correct, first ingredient corn is NOT right! Science Diet and Hills are not great quality either...

Can you buy Tahni's food at a petstore or online and get her onto a better quality food?

I just realized I did not add the link to The Dog Food Project in the previous post - sorry!

Here it is:

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=badingredients

The website was really helpful. I always read the protein cotent, now knowing that protein can be poor quality protein from corn helps with choosing. I have a huge bag of Advance I mix with canned Eagle Pack. I am going to start mixing with some cooked mince now.

Edited by Optimus