Raw Chicken Legs Ok?

Just want to know if they are ok to fed to our nearly 5 month old Airedale.

We give her chicken necks and she loves them but I am a bit concerned about the long bone in the leg.

What is the verdict?

Dogfish

I frequently feed legs, or in fact whole/half chickens. Those chickens are only about 10 to 15 weeks old and comparatively speaking even the leg bones are not that hard. Weight bearing bones of animals like sheep and cattle are a lot lot harder and I agree they should generally be avoided. The bone in a chicken leg though is going to be a lot softer than a lamb neck for example.

You may want to start off with wings and frames if you haven't fed them before, but any part of the chicken is fine IMO.

I regluarly feed my ones a varity of bones, the larger weight bearing bones of cattle etc, but these i get split down the middle by the butcher, once the marrow and the cartlidge is gone the dogs seem to be done and I throw them out. whole chicken frames, wings the lot, depends on teh size of your dog too, how they eat etc. mine woof most food down but take thier time and chew well with bones. Generally I keep the legs myself anyway. :thumbsup:

Large cattle weight bearing bones are unlikely to splinter because they are so hard....and big. However I was advised never to have a large bone split down the length of the bone due to the fact that the dog may be able to break small pieces off and they can get stuck in the intestines and they are basically indigestible. With large marrow bones I have them split crossways rather than lengthways.

I didn't start feeding chook legs to my GSD's till they were about 6 months old....and then turkey legs from about 9 months old :) Turkey legs and wings are fantastic if you can find them...tho they are huge! :thumbsup:

I didn't start feeding chook legs to my GSD's till they were about 6 months old....and then turkey legs from about 9 months old :D Turkey legs and wings are fantastic if you can find them...tho they are huge! :laugh:

You are right about the size of turkey legs KK. Safeway had them lasrt week when I was shopping.Too big for all but one of my Airedales. I'm sure they would manage them but I figure they don't need two meals in one. I have had no problems with giving my Airedales chicken legs at 5 months though.

Edited by curlyking