Trick Of The Week

whatevah

Retrieving

Uses

Forms the basis for many tricks, is great exercise for the dog

Equipment Needed

Dog, Food, Toys

Method

To teach my dogs to retrieve I used Shirley Chongs Clicker Method. I also wanted to test out the clicker. So I got Josh my flatcoat retriever who was not interested at dumbells and followed Shirley's clicker recipe to the letter, not rushing the dog and just following the steps. We had success. I tried it on my next dog when he was 3 months old again success. It took about a month for the pup to do a formal novice retrieve, it took about 2 months for my older dog, when I ran into trouble I just emailed shirley and got a response. Josh had a reliable retrieve but he would spit out his toy before returning to me, so I just started at the start of this method and went from there.

http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/retrieve.html

If you don;t want to do a formal retrieve, I played the two hoses game. This game really increases the dogs drive to retrieve.

http://www.nwk9.com/twosqueakies.htm

For this game you need two toys. You throw one toy a short distance away, when the dog starts to return with it, and is nearly next to you, you then throw the other toy in the opposite direction. The dog should drop the first toy and go running for the second toy, you gradually increase the distance. My flatcoat retriever got 2nd at the flatcoat fun day for fastest retrieve, he was beaten by a fraction of a second.

Using retrieving I have taught my dogs several tricks including fetch the red wagon, retrieve the toy out of the closed drawer, retrieve the toy out of the rubbish bin with the pedal attached. See the attached photos. My dogs will also swim out for their toys.

post-9-1087113765.jpg

Edited by Toilet Duck

Yep - I'm using the Shirley Chong method too - although I must admit it would work even better if I'd been more consistent and regular. My Border Collie, now 2, doesn't carry things in his mouth, and isn't a natural retriever. Using Shirley's method, he now really lkes his dumbbell, and is learning to hold it in his mouth, and to pick it up off the ground. One thing I really like is that it seems to teach the dog only to pick up the dumbbell by the bar.

BTW, love those pictures.

Having a dog that retrieves is a great trick, and very useful!! My older Vizsla had no interest what so ever in retrieving and it wasn't until we started training for open obedience that I decided to train him in earnest to retrieve. Although I can't say we went step by step through Shirley Chongs method (I didn't even know it existed) we did something very similar. We clicker trained it step by step through the look at, nose touch, lip touch etc. etc. He now has his CDX title and the only individual exercise he didn't fail at one time or other in Open was the Retrieve on Flat :) He has also won Gundog Working Tests which involves a simple mark retrieve.

But, even more importantly it has been helpful. I have used his retrieve to retrieve shoes the Whippet has taken out in the yard, remote controls I can't reach, TV guides, even the end of the vacuum cleaner!! Can you tell I'm lazy :cry:

Thankfully my young Vizsla is a much more natural retriever although we did work on the hold etc.

Here are the two with their retriveing dummies.

post-9-1087277571.jpg

Edited by FHR

Your picture didn't come out. I find it helps to start retrieving with the dog from day 1!!! I practiced with Moses when I collected him at the airport! Make it lots of fun and tease the dog with the item. I always try to get the dog to deliver it to my hand.

Here is another trick that I taught him using retrieving and targeting. Has anybody else got examples or pictures of their dogs retrieving, even flyball pictures as that is retrieving. I found that flyball has helped in fast retrieves as well.

post-9-1087274230.jpg

Edited by bigbum

He presses the pedal with his foot to open the lid, I taught him this through targetting. I first taught him to put his foot on a piece of cardboard, I then moved the cardboard to the pedal, I then took the cardboard away and only clicked when the lid started to rise.

post-9-1087274548.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Dear toilet Duck,

I have not been able to teach my dog to hold the dumbell however he does retreive. When i read your article on clicking traing the retreive i gave it a go. My dog (he is so clever :p ) is now at the itsy bitsy genuine retreive. I am so happy it just made my day, so thankyou so much. My question is; when should i start introducing the sit with the dumbell in his mouth. I thought i would wait until he understands the hold the article. What do you think?

That is great. I had the same problem as you with my flatcoat retriever he would not do the sit part or handle a dumbell and then I stumbled onto Shirley Chongs method. I even emailed her and asked her the same question about the sit.

If you are following the steps, and taking your time and not rushing the dog, I would add it in a the step where you are clicking the height that the dog has to raise the dumbell before clicking. I would then have the dog raise the dumbell knee high and ask for sit, c/t for the sit and hold. Reason is since he is raising it high, would be easier for him to sit, but depends on the size of your dog. Also keep your hands out of the way, as the dog sees your hands and may think he has to spit it out.

You could also email ShirleyChong and ask her. She is the expert.