Cooking Dog Food

Hi all,

I'm just looking for some opinions on whether or not this is a good meal for a dog or not... It is something that my friend cooks up for his two cattle dogs and they are bright, happy and healthy dogs.

Pet Steak Mince (cooked) with potatoes, pumpkin, carrots, beans, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, eggs, rice and pasta.

Thanks

:thumbsup:

Oh - with beef stock thrown in too.

Edited by Rhi & Jak

Dont cook the pet mince. Most likely it has bones in it and cooked bones will become brittle and can be quite sharp.

Potatoes are fine cooked.

Pumpkin, carrots, beans, cauliflower is fine raw or cooked. Raw must be grated otherwise it will mostly pass through the dog.

Brocolli is fine as long as it doesnt amount to more than 10% of the dogs regular diet

Tomatos no good. Contains atropine which can cause dialated pupils, tremors and irregular heartbeat.

Eggs fine raw as long as its the whole egg (even the shell) to avoid depleting Biotin.

Rice and Pasta fine, but generally only used as a filler - they dont have much nutrional qualities for the dogs.

eta: wouldnt bother with the Beef stock. probably mostly salt and it will only make the dog thirsty.

Edited by shmoo

A friend at work cooks pet mince and says it stinks out the house :) . She doesn't add the extras, though.

I guess if he's happy to cook for the dog, and the dogs are doing well on it, keep it up :thumbsup:.

I prefer not to cook meat for the dogs (but I hate cooking :D). Dogs need more meat, less carbs, the opposite of humans. Veges best cooked and mashed so easier to digest as dogs also have much shorter digestive tracts.

Veges best cooked and mashed so easier to digest as dogs also have much shorter digestive tracts.

Actually, the vegies are best given raw after going through the food processor. Cooking them destroys the water soluable vitamins.

Veges best cooked and mashed so easier to digest as dogs also have much shorter digestive tracts.

Actually, the vegies are best given raw after going through the food processor. Cooking them destroys the water soluable vitamins.

Yup.

I'd forget the beef stock, perhaps a sprinkle of garlic powder or a clove of garlic for flavour.

Broccoli and Cauli can cause really bad wind so start that slowly.

Are they having any bones, there's no mention of calcium.

Stews like this used to be really popular years ago. Now it's mostly raw or kibble.

He chops up all the veges, so they're not chucked in whole or anything, small enough portions for the dogs to manage but they're certainly not mashed and haven't been through a processor.

Isn't garlic bad for dogs? Or is that onion?

They do get raw bones :-)

Edited by Rhi & Jak

I cook something similair

5kg pet mince or chicken pet mince

0.5kg rice

Approx 0.5kg mixed vegies (what is ever in the house but no cauly/broc due to gas or onions....even cheap mix frozen veg if nothing else)

1tbs of garlic

1/2 cup instant milk powder (the one with added calcium and low fat)

1 cup quick cook oats

Sometimes add gravy or beef stock to make it a bit different ....or feed with sardines, or a raw egg on top every now and then. Make it moister if you want it to soak through any kibble.

I freeze it in portions in those cheap takeaway type containers.

This is dinner for 3 dogs for the week.....But that said......I also feed lots of raw meaty bones for breaky and kibble during the day.

Yep the rice and oats is a filler so cut back if worried about lack of nutrients or feeding small/med dogs or overweight dogs.....but dogs need carbs for energy too (just like people but not as much % wise) and the oats make it thick and creamy.....and stick together!

Been feeding this to my dogs for 20+ years (rotti, GSD, Dobe, Corgi X, lab, bc, kelpie) and never had any problems with health! (other than old age). And they have all loved it.

The raw diet is prolly more the 'fad' these days as the 'cooked stew' was years back as Blos334 said.........I like a mixture of both and I think in this cold weather they appreciate this stew, nicely warmed in the microwave before being served.

I just thought I would post this pic of my little one Jak with Lucy, one of my friend's cattle dogs. She's so beautiful and incredibly smart :laugh:

Oh, and one of both Lucy and Elly eyeing Jak off hahahaha

Oh dear lord, sorry, having some malfunction when trying to add the pics. Will try again...

Edited by Rhi & Jak

The main reason for grating the veges/fruit, and putting them through a processor is so the dog will eat them. Rice is a filler, but brown rice does contain selenium - but it is also contained in vegetable oils, poultry, organ meat and wheat.