Cesar Millan

Sometimes its not so much the method that is to be questioned.

I think that you'd still come up with some similar issues if you did just the Koehler method because we still have to rely on the handlers ability to implement it. I think what is needed is that more time is given to give the handlers the available options and the pro's and con's of each option, then let them chose which way they would like to proceed.

I don't about other clubs, but I do know that at the club I use to frequent the problem was precisely a lack of any coherent method. The problem is that of twenty people in class, ten will turn up with their dogs on flat collars, five with harnesses of some sort of another, a couple with slip collars, and few with checks chains. Some will have food, some will have toys and some will have nothing. How is possible for one instructor to teach a class in any coherent or useful way with so many different tools and/or methods? The answer is that it is not. Usually the training is so general as to be useless.

Far better to give the instructors the opportunity to teach a specific method and to divide the classes along the lines of the different methods, so that the handlers would all be on the same page in regards to the methods used.

Of course, that would introduce competition between instructors and the different methods, with the best instructors and/or best methods gaining the most students.

Alas, one suspects that such professionalism is against the ethos of many dog clubs run by volunteers

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I love his show and have used his methods on my dogs with great success. He's definately a guy I'd love to meet

I agree with you ryally he is truly talented and dogs obviously respect him to,

he has a big pack of mixed doggies, and yet they all get on!!!

Jayakita

I love watching the dog whisperer, although it seems they're only showing re-runs now :laugh: I like most of Cesar's methods, but disagree with his method of walking dogs (not allowing them to sniff at all). I find that if I let Spence sniff around a little at the start of a walk (without pulling on the lead) he settles down pretty quickly and is happy to walk at my side. If I try to keep him at my side from the start he is much more likely to want to pull and dash off to the side to sniff a tree.

one more thing which I can't believe no one has mentioned earlier....I am absolutely head-over-heels in love with......daddy the pitbull!

one more thing which I can't believe no one has mentioned earlier....I am absolutely head-over-heels in love with......daddy the pitbull!

Isn't Daddy just gorgeous!! I also like Popeye, also a pitbull but with one eye!