Pig's Ears Or Devon

OH and I are having a debate at the moment about what to feed the dogs in the afternoon. At the moment, they get a pigs ear when I get home from work. They love their pigs ears and always wait next to the box after they have had their pats. OH thinks it would be healthier to feed them those devon rolls (human ones not pet ones as they are cheaper). I don't like them and Molly isn't too fussed about them either. I know they like their pigs ears so I stick with it. The only draw back is the expense, we haven't been able to find any cheaper than $2 each.

What are your opinions????

PE no D

:laugh:

Devon is only called that because if it was called "Crap Meat & Fat Cooked to Death with Colourings, Additives & Salt" nobody would buy it.... cheaper for now, for sure; but two bucks a day per dog for better health? Seems like a fair deal to me ;) Remember though, dogs are basically creatures of habit; you can still give them a treat every day, but maybe alternate treats, to cut down on the expense of the pigs ears. There's a fundraiser on the forum at the moment where pig and cow ears are available for $1 each - if you're near any of the listed venues, would that help?

Why not give them a raw, meaty bone instead of a dehydrated pig ear? :laugh:

I don't like any pork for my dogs b/c it makes them sick. And anything that's been dehydrated or smoked is a bad risk IMO b/c these things can and do splinter. This may not cause any problems, but in some dogs, it can cause a bowel obstruction and tearing of the insides to name but two issues vets see on a reasonably regular basis.

Why not give them a raw, meaty bone instead of a dehydrated pig ear? :rofl:

I don't like any pork for my dogs b/c it makes them sick. And anything that's been dehydrated or smoked is a bad risk IMO b/c these things can and do splinter. This may not cause any problems, but in some dogs, it can cause a bowel obstruction and tearing of the insides to name but two issues vets see on a reasonably regular basis.

Never heard of a devon roll so I cant compare :laugh: Mine alternate between a pigs ear, chicken wing or chicken neck. Sometimes a special bone to chew on. They dont complain ;) BTW I was gonna say and they are healthy but Ellies not at the mo - but I dont think thats a contributing factor :laugh:

PE no D

:cry:

Devon is only called that because if it was called "Crap Meat & Fat Cooked to Death with Colourings, Additives & Salt" nobody would buy it.... cheaper for now, for sure; but two bucks a day per dog for better health? Seems like a fair deal to me :cry: Remember though, dogs are basically creatures of habit; you can still give them a treat every day, but maybe alternate treats, to cut down on the expense of the pigs ears. There's a fundraiser on the forum at the moment where pig and cow ears are available for $1 each - if you're near any of the listed venues, would that help?

Wyhlder, that's why I don't like giving it to them, it's crap! I saw the fundraiser, I'm going to check it out, I've never seen cows ears.

Why not give them a raw, meaty bone instead of a dehydrated pig ear? :cry:

We just got our delivery of bones and chickens yesterday, so now have about 40kg of the stuff. They will be getting these alternatively now.

Thanks for the comments, I can now do the 'I told you so' song and dance when OH gets home from work :rofl: