Cobber Working Dog Food

Just after people's experience with this feed. ATM I am feeding proplan-purina but I have heard very good things about Cobber's kibble.

A friend of mine uses it with great success - just after a few more opinoins etc.

Thanks in advance,

Josh Grant

Just after people's experience with this feed. ATM I am feeding proplan-purina but I have heard very good things about Cobber's kibble.

A friend of mine uses it with great success - just after a few more opinoins etc.

Thanks in advance,

Josh Grant

We tried our GSD on it - she ended up loosing alot of weight (despite being fed the same amount as on Bonnie Working Dog) & her coat was terrible, dry, rough & very dull. We ended up changing her onto Optimum because our kelpie & sheltie were doing well on it & she looks lovely again now.

If it were me & my dog was doing well on purina/proplan I would be sticking to it :thumbsup: .

Does your friend have the same breed of dog as you?

I noticed a huge difference in what food was suitable for a smaller vs. larger breed of dog. I need to take more care with what I feed the large breed dog, whereas the smaller one can eat anything. Wrong food and the larger dog starts to lose weight, stools messy and/or huge and just doesn't seem so healthy.

Cobber would be far cheaper than ProPlan?

Also, check if your friend adds other food to the dog's diet, also e.g. raw. They sometimes forget to tell you the kibble's not all they eat :happydance2: .

Guest Clover

I have been lazy with feeding all RAW at the moment and have been supplementing the dogs meals with some Cobber working dog (That and i needed to get some fast weight on my Border boy). My guys have been doing fine on it, they like it and will happily eat it.

I used to use it - but my dogs don't eat a lot of dry - I use Nutrience and Nutro sometimes too. Cobber was sold t o one of the large human food manufacturers a while back (a year ago? Some months?) and the composition has changed dramatically. The dogs don't like it as much either.

I am going to give Coprice a try one of these days. Heard good things about it.

That's interesting PW - my friend breeds/shos cockers and I have the border collies.

I have not been completely satisfied with Proplan and I think I might try Caprice as well Jed- must be some truth in what I've been hearing as lots of people have said the same thing! Other than that it might be royal canin?

I realise that most people don't feed solely on kibble, and that most dogs are fed a percentage of Raw foodstuffs in their diet - the diet that my dogs will be on is a little like au naturale - with a little kibble added, they don't eat too much so I am not worried how much it costs as long as it's good! :happydance2:

i think I might give Cobber a miss! :cool:

I find Cobber OK. I use it for my OESD I use Euk for the two borders as one is a Flyball dog and does far better on it and the other b/c the cobber upset her tummy. The jacks get Euk most of the time but they are cobber ATM I just have to give them almost twice as much.

BTW they all get raw as well.

Josh, every dog responds differently to the different brands available. Just see which brands work best for your dogs.

Rory is on Cobber working dog with a bit of puppy mix, he performs fantastically on it.

Lady is on Bonnie puppy and optimum mix, she looks fantastic also.

Jessie is on Bonnie working dog, this is very high energy stuff and is very easy to put weight on a border collie with this feed. Jessie now eats 1/2 the amount she used to on supercoat.

So it all depends on your dogs.

I would recommend Bonnie, i have seen great results with this so far, cobber i assume is fairly similar in nutrients and cost.

Our GSD's are on Coprice, and the small dogs are now on Coprice Puppy, and they are dong EXCEPTIONALLY well.. I have always fed my toy dogs Royal Canin, but bought the coprice puppy for a change, and they love it. And are in great condition. It keeps the Italian Greyhounds at a lovely weight. I dont like them too skinny, I like a nice layer over their ribs.

Coprice is excellent at our place :thumbsup:

I have used coprice on my labs for 3 years now and it works great they put the weight on nicely and they dont get runny stools and their coats are really good.

ive tried the cobber and it did nothing for my guys and one of them refused to eat it which says alot for a lab lol