Help! Frozen Chicken Mince.

This is my first post.

I have just started feeding my whippets raw.

My question is in regards to Chicken mince.

I just bought 4 kgs of mince from Lenards, But it is frozen.

I was hoping to defrost it and make up patties, but am not sure if it is ok to refreeze mince if it is not going to be cooked.

Can anyone help me?

Sorry, not sure. It's certainly a "no no" to refreeze if it's for human consumption. The stuff I buy is a little more expensive, but frozen flat into 1kg bags which is nice and manageable. Some chicken mince is really rubbish- see what you think and how the dogs go on it.

This is my first post.

I was hoping to defrost it and make up patties, but am not sure if it is ok to refreeze mince if it is not going to be cooked.

Can anyone help me?

I would recommend to cut the frozen mince into more manageable pieces and defrost one by one.

This is my first post.

Can anyone help me?

I would recommend to cut the frozen mince into more manageable pieces and defrost one by one.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure how it could possibly be cut. It is in a huge lump.

Maybe I will chuck the lot and start again with fresh. i don't want to risk making the dogs sick.

Thanks for the replies.

Maybe I will chuck the lot and start again with fresh. i don't want to risk making the dogs sick.

You need a saw to cut it. If you have the time, take it to your nearest butcher and ask if they could cut it up for you on their machine. It will take them 2 seconds.

Why don't you you defrost it. keep enough out to feed the dogs for about 3 days on it should be safe. Cook the rest with some veges. If it's human grade, eat some yourself with noodles/pasta. You can makes some patties to cook and freeze it again then. Sure dogs won't mind the change.

ETA. otherwise donate it to a rescue - don't chuck it - that would be an awful waste!

Edited by badboyz

I don't think you're supposed to.

If you can't chop it while it's frozen, why not defrost and feed the dogs as much as you can over the next two days, then just cook & freeze the rest (use as training treats etc?) Seems a pity to waste it. :rolleyes:

I don't think you're supposed to.

If you can't chop it while it's frozen, why not defrost and feed the dogs as much as you can over the next two days, then just cook & freeze the rest (use as training treats etc?) Seems a pity to waste it. :rolleyes:

I can't cook it as it has bone minced in with it.

Definatley wouldn't eat it myself!!

Can't you cook well minced bone? :rolleyes:

I know cooking chunks of bone is bad since it changes the texture of the bone, can cause splinters etc. But if the bone is already well minced, does it matter if it is cooked?

Interesting question, I don't know the answer.

Buying frozen is a worry in the first place, as you dont know how long it sat around for sale in the first place before they didnt sell it so froze it.......You might find that it only lasts a day before going off once defrosted, who knows hey.........

Once it is defrosted you cant refreeze it.

i get my mince from leonards and its always fresh? where are you located?

i buy frozen hearts for my barf patties and thaw in the fridge until a little soft - cut them up and chuck them in the mix and refreeze - ive never had any probs with sick dogs.

its important to thaw in the fridge - new evidence suggests this can be done with human food too :rolleyes:

My butcher does me a 5 kg bag of fresh mince at the end of the day, just before they have to clean everything down. The carcasses etc are fresh that day when he has boned them out. I get it $1 per kg, and bag it into small bags to freeze.

Guest kitakins

its fine to thaw and refreeze as long as the thawing is done in the fridge. i googled it up a while back.

Thanks for the replies.

You need a saw to cut it. If you have the time, take it to your nearest butcher and ask if they could cut it up for you on their machine. It will take them 2 seconds.

Yep I always ask my butcher a well :rolleyes:

I bought some of the Lenard's pet mince once - is this the type of mince you mean? The pet mince has a lot of minced bone in it, so I think this is what you're referring to?

After it was defrosted, I found it had a lot of onion etc in it, as they mince up all the stuff they can't sell, so you get all the hamburger patties etc. This is is also why it doesn't last after defrosting - because it was already too old for them to sell to humans.

I wouldn't buy it again. I'd suggest you just get the chicken carcasses - about $1 a bag of 3, as opposed to $1 a bag of the pet mince. You can freeze the carcasses if that's easier.

HTH :rolleyes:

i think it must depend on the Lenards (they are all franchises) - coz the 2 i use (homebush rhodes and northbridge) both just mince carcasses for the pet mince - exactly the same as the bag of bones.

I always check exactly whats in it when i change supplier!

Where I work, we do pet mince (nothing else other than minced up bone and a little bit of skin hanging from the bones) every week/fortnight depending on the customers' needs. We pack them in 1kg bag and put them in the freezer. Once we're low on stock (none or a few kilos left) then we make some more. Normally only keep about 40kg frozen pet mince at one time.