Loss Of Fur Around Nose

One of my dogs have pretty much lost nearly all the fur around his nose.

He is a very happy, healthy active dog with tonnes of fur in every other area of his body but has just gradually lost the fur surrounding his nose. I am worried about cancer so he gets sunscreen basically every day but would really love to get his fur back :thumbsup:

Have attached a pic, its not a good one but most recent. The left hand side of the triangle is white fur the other side is the skin....it has a fine coating of fur

post-1761-1185789448_thumb.jpg

Edited by tollersowned

Same thing happened to Tilly recently, along with weeping eyes. In Tilly's case it is an auto immune problem that usually shows itself at middle age.

Hopefully this is not the problem here but if it does not improve or the skin is sore or red I would check things out further. Tilly's skin was red and she started licking her muzzle a lot

Edited by helen

Same thing happened to Tilly recently, along with weeping eyes. In Tilly's case it is an auto immune problem that usually shows itself at middle age.

Hopefully this is not the problem here but if it does not improve or the skin is sore or red I would check things out further. Tilly's skin was red and she started licking her muzzle a lot

Not what i wanted to hear about auto immune problems......its a big problem in Tollers.

Though its not red nor is he licking it, the fur had just started thinning out :thumbsup:

Its happened over the last 6 months or so, so its not a recent sudden occurance.

Edited by tollersowned

has your vet done a skin scrape or a needle aspirate of the skin where the hair is falling away from? that would be my starting point...also how old is your dog? if the skin isnt red and inflammed where the hair is falling out, it could be something as simple as a skin mite....ask your vet to do a scrape of fine needle aspirate of the area. its not expensive, its not hard and its not really painful. if your vet blows you off, go to another vet!

He is turning 5 this year.

The sunscreen i use is called SunStop, or sometimes i use zinc.

He is in perfect health, and the skin isnt red and inflamed, its just normal.

When i asked the vet about it he said nothing, but to watch the skin in case it doesnt get burnt, which really is the main reason i was asking about it, hoping someone would know how to make the fur grow back.