Smoked Bones

krystle_chino_tira

Just wondering if anyone knows much about smoked bones....ive seen them at the pet shop and didnt know if they would splinter. Usually i give my chihuahua and my staffie raw chicken wings but my staffie wants to eat them whole and im worried shes gonna choke. so thought i should upgrade to something bigger for her. any thouhgts on these bones??

I have the same "swallow 'em whole" problem with chicken necks, actually with any bone, once there's a piece big enough to fit in the mouth, down it goes! I tried a smoked bone and while there was more chewing time I found that they tend to break off in sharp splintery pieces which would IMO be even worse if swallowed, so no bones of any type here ;)

no no no, my old Vet said he gets a LOT of dogs in from eating smoked bones.

Both mine spent a night in the vets after eating one, they got VERY sick (throwing up, the runs, not eating or drinking) . i wont feed them to my dogs now!

Not sure what it is about them that makes them sick, but yet, vet said he sees it a lot, even more around chrstmas (ham bones)

I bought smoked bones once, horrible things but I thought the dogs would like them, one did but threw it all up and the other one wouldnt touch them. Smoked stuff isnt that good for people so its probably not that good for dogs either. I stick to raw brisket bones now.

OH god, i had no idea- ive given my staffy x a couple of them recently and i have one in the freezer. going straight into the bin now. She didnt much like them anyway.

Much prefers shanks and split femurs!!! Split femurs are THE BEST!!! they are huge and last for days despite the good ol staffy chew. Ha ha, just imagined your chihuahua chewing one!!

Personally i havent found chicken bones to be much of a prob - i give them to her frozen so it takes her a little more chewing. (incidently my dog trainer wasnt happy about them being frozen- does anyone else think this is a problem?)

Raw Bones only for me (actually my dog) and the other important ingredient is 'MEATY'

It is the rippping of the meat off the bones that cleans your doggies teeth. Raw bones with no meat don't do the job.

Great boredom busters, but not the teeth cleaning factor.

All my doggies have fabulous white teeth and hopefully will avoid costly teeth cleaning at the vet for many years.

My bones of choice are lamb shanks and lamb necks (however necks are fattier so depends on your doggies waist line which

one is best to choose)

For small doggies (I also have a toy poodle) I use chicken wings. Although being the dominant litttle thing she is, will

steal ber big sisters shank given the opportunity. :)

I always supervise their bone eating. (I overly worry though)

My OH bought a bag of smoked bones last week, the dogs didn't particularly like them and they started to splinter as soon as they started chewing them so I threw them out. They are so dangerous, they should be banned.