Crate Training

To answer your question: No crate training is not absolutely necessary... But it is absolutely wonderful if you do it!! Have a look through some threads here and you will find a lot of tips on how people do it. It is a truely great piece of equipment to have!

It is not necessary to crate train, but it does come in very handy :confused:

If your dog is crate trained:

* You have somewhere safe to put your dog and know he/she is not destroying anything - at night, when you have guests or tradespeople

* I have found that even if you are renting and the landlord does not want dogs inside, they will often allow the dog inside in a crate

* You have a portable 'home' for your dog where it feels safe if you want to take your dog on holidays, to training, trials, shows or seminars

* You have a safe way of transporting your dog in the car

* You have somewhere safe to put your dog if he/she needs to be confined due to injury or recovery from surgery

* Your dog will feel more comfortable at the vet or groomer as they will be in a crate or cage there

thanks for the replies everyone :confused: we're going to the pet warehouse to get all our doggie supplies - we'll check out the crates for sure - they sound like a great idea - used for so many purposes! I have done some reading on them, but just wanted to know what other ppl think.

btw: this is the best place for lightning-fast advice!!! :laugh:

There is no way I would leave our Airedale in the house at night unless in a crate.

Maybe later on , but at nealy 6 months old she is a whirlwind.

She settles in at about 9 each night and is quiet till we get up at about 7 every morning.

Some of the good advice I got from this site, and I am so glad we use a crate.

Dogfish

Absolutely necessary? No.

Extremely useful? Definitely. It assists with toilet training and is great for travelling, visits to vets, trialling, staying at people's houses... the list is endless.

:confused:

Exactly what I would have said. :laugh:

I would never have a dog not crate trained again!

it is fantastic, I know where the dog is

i didn't crate train my goldens but always slept my fosters in a crate, they adapted very very quickly, i knew where they were and they weren't destroying the house

even now with my fosterfailure boy, he sleeps in a crate and if i go out at night, like tonight, i put him in a crate and let the goldens have run of the house. They are trustworthy, he is not and it is too cold at the moment for him to be outside at night.

It will make it so easy when we go away and he also will feel secure because his "bedroom" arrangments haven't changed.

I bought a crate for our standard poodle pup, but found I didn't use it, so sold it. It was XL and took up a huge chuck of our smallish lounge room. We don't have precious furniture and living areas are tiled, so that was also a factor. He was quick to toilet train and not as destructive as a pup might be.

A staffy size crate is <$100. You can always sell it if you find you don't use it. If you save 1 pair of good shoes, it's paid for itself. Staffies are notorious chewers.

I had a plastic airline crate from a trip with our older dog and that's really handy for the car- pups will vomit until they're used to the car and it's much easier to throw out newspaper and hose out a crate :thumbsup:.

I am glad I crate trained our last pup - it was a godsend when I had trips to do that I couldn't take our pup with me (shopping and the like). The crate was also very useful as a "time out" from our kids - it was always open and we had a rule that if our pup was in there she was out of bounds. So she could use it as a haven too. It was also very useful in introducing our dogs - the pup was safe while our other dog sniffed and took her measure. We introduced them with the pup in the crate several times before allowing them contact with each other and there was minimal fuss once the pup was allowed out with our other dog.

When I have gone to herding training (several hours) I have been able to take the crate with me and pop her in to keep her out of harms way. Much safer than tying her out while other dogs are around - it meant I could concentrate on the training information rather than having to watch her closely.

I would never own another dog unless it is crate trained. I have 3 working dogs and they all live outside. But when I travel and stay overnight somewhere they are in there crates. When I have a bitch in season I can separate dogs easily. When I go anywhere for training I can safely crate them instead of having them tied up somewhere and running the risk of them getting tangled. You can actually get cheaper crates off ebay than at the local pet store.

Did anyone watch House the other night? He had a 17yo dog living with him that chewed up everything... I kept thinking if only he was crate trained. You'd think someone who is meant to be such a smart doctor could work out a way to contain a dog in an appartment! I felt like yelling at the telly "GET A CRATE YOU IDIOT!" :laugh:

Hi back at you Kelpie-i!

She settles in at about 9 each night and is quiet till we get up at about 7 every morning.

How do you get her to be quiet for so long? My lot start complaining around 5:30 am (They go to be around 10:00ish)

How do you get her to be quiet for so long? My lot start complaining around 5:30 am (They go to be around 10:00ish)

Hi kamuzz,

We don't really do anything. She has always been a good sleeper. We had her for about 3 weeks before we got the crate and she was a bit fussy with it when we first started using it but then she settled down.

For the first few weeks in the crate I would take her out to do her toilet at about 11, just before we go to bed. But now she refuses to get out so I have just started leaving her.

Some mornings she really takes her time getting out as well, as if to say "leave me alone, i need a sleep in". :rofl:

Maybe things will change later and maybe we have been lucky so far. She is good in her crate but makes up for all the lost time when out of it by being extra naughty. :rofl:

Dogfish