Wouldn't Allow Vet To Look In His Mouth

BJ.

Just got back from the vets with Jester after having his 12 week vaccination done. The vet gave him a going over, health check as they normally do but when she went to check in his mouth he totally freaked out. He even growled and attempted to snap at the vet. She was being very gentle but he wasn't having it. Eventually I got his mouth open and everything was fine. So this is a problem I need to get on top of now before he becomes too big and no longer cute! Do I get people coming to the house to look in his mouth and then treat him? He is going to puppy school and loves it I will certainly ask them but it is a week away and I think I need to start on this problem now.

Just got back from the vets with Jester after having his 12 week vaccination done. The vet gave him a going over, health check as they normally do but when she went to check in his mouth he totally freaked out. He even growled and attempted to snap at the vet. She was being very gentle but he wasn't having it. Eventually I got his mouth open and everything was fine. So this is a problem I need to get on top of now before he becomes too big and no longer cute! Do I get people coming to the house to look in his mouth and then treat him? He is going to puppy school and loves it I will certainly ask them but it is a week away and I think I need to start on this problem now.

When we went to puppy school and they did pass the pooch - we were asked to hold everyones dogs, touch their paws and open their mouths. Maybe you need to get a few mates to open his mouth too and give him a little treat afterward.

My auntie has a basset he is now 1 year old.. Id be starting to put him in line now at his age so he knows who the boss is... Now my aunties dog is 1 year old he is really domanet over her.... cos at a young age she let him get away with things... She cant even let him inside the house cos he trys to eat everything.. Trys to knock the fish tank over to eat the fish.. lol he is a really norti boy..She was told by the vet use rolled up news paper.. about the only thing that would work as he is a big buffa...

Start with lifting his lips first .... then treat. As he gets good at this (shouldn't take more than a session or two) then start with opening his mouth ..... then treat. Then feeling gums etc. etc. Make sure it's all good for you, then yes, ask others to handle as well.

Do this also with other things Vets are likely to do during the lifetime of your pup. Ears; lifting tail; picking up and handling paws etc. etc. etc.

Clicker training can come in useful for this type of thing.

The only thing I'm not keen on is having a person handle a dog's mouth and then doing the same to another and another and another, for health reasons.

Thanks Erny, so I should do it first before asking others to try? He seems ok with me taking things out of his mouth (several times a day at the moment;) ) the problem seems to be when you put your hand over the top of his nose to open his mouth.

Thanks Erny, so I should do it first before asking others to try? He seems ok with me taking things out of his mouth (several times a day at the moment;) ) the problem seems to be when you put your hand over the top of his nose to open his mouth.

Yes - if he has a problem with you opening/handling his mouth, then you start there. Once you've got it to some semblance of control, then start introducing him to other people being able to handle him.

If his problem is having your hand over his nose, then start stimply by putting your hand over his muzzle, "click" and treat. Repeat until he isn't worried about this - very quickly it will become a cue to good things (ie treat). Then proceed to the next step.

Edited by Erny

LOL I have just come back from reading TOT as I thought I should start soon, we already do NILIF. He is quiet a strong personality and as he isn't going to be a small boy we are tryin to start as we mean to continue.

I'd be happy to visit as a complete stranger to Jester, armed with clicker and yummy treats to ease his mind :clap:

I'd wager that all the Canberra DOLers would be up for that in return for puppy cuddles :thumbsup:

LOL Shame we are at opposite ends of town, if you are ever in Belconnen you would be more than welcome. Now that he has had his 12 week vac in a couple of weeks he should be ready to make his debut on an outing.

Is the pup going to be a showdog???

Many vets dont have the knack to mouthing dogs & as there teething at this age some dogs have extremely sore gums & depending on how they mouthed the dog it may have hurt.Many with breeds that have heavy flews end up garbbing the flews & squiching them into the teeth & the saga goes on from there.

I wouldnt be getting any stranger to mouth the dog especially as many wouldnt now how to do it in a fashion that i would consider educational rather than a bad experience.

The other problem with getting strangers to do is you will tell them what happened last time & thats person body language will change to being very cautious which isnt what the pup needs.

Many dogs will happily let you take food off them as its easy but when you mouth a dog you need to hold the dog in a position which same dogs fear if there not use to it or understand whats happening.

Personally i would practise at home dont over do it .When i go to the vets i mouth my own dogs i never let the vets or the nurses do it,they are show dogs & get there teeth brushed so its no issue for them but as i said many vets just grab the mouth & open without the dog being ready or in a position that is relaxing/comfy

With mouthing a Bassett at this age most would just gently hold the flews up & look at each side of the mouth using a finger to ease back to view the rear molars.

Edited by showdog

Yes - if he has a problem with you opening/handling his mouth, then you start there. Once you've got it to some semblance of control, then start introducing him to other people being able to handle him.

If his problem is having your hand over his nose, then start stimply by putting your hand over his muzzle, "click" and treat. Repeat until he isn't worried about this - very quickly it will become a cue to good things (ie treat). Then proceed to the next step.

Erny, what is the purpose of the clicker in these exercises? :thumbsup:

Sometimes it helps people for more accurate timing. The clicker sound marks exactly the behaviour that has earnt the dog its treat.

So - hand on muzzle : click : treat

You need to "charge your clicker" first though. This means teaching the dog the "click" represents something good is going to follow. You simply do this by "click" then "treat". "click" then "treat". Repetitions of this will very quickly have your dog bring its attention to you when it hears the sound of the clicker.

I personally don't usually clicker train - I use a verbal marker "yes". But some people find the clicker easier and clearer as it is a "constant" (ie sound does not change in duration or in volume). But even then, the dog needs to understand that "yes" means good job, reward coming. So you need to "charge your marker word" if you are going to use the verbal marker instead.

Hope this makes sense and answers your query.