Feedback On What I'm Feeding Please

Hi

I have a 17 week old Amstaff pup and i'm feeding her beef mince three times a week, beef strips once a week, chicken mince once a week, chicken strips once a week, and turky strips once a week, all meet is human grade and raw. I also put a mix of vegies with the rew meet and half a clove of garlic crushed with every meal, she also gets a can of sardines twice a week after she finishes dinner. And chicken necks every morning with either some apple or bannana. The main reason for this post is to get feedback on her meals and some suggestions.

Thank you in advanced for everyones help.

P.S What fruit and vegies are ok nearly everything i put in i end up finding out they can be toxic and i'm running out of vegies :thumbsup: .

Personally i don't think there is enough bone content in what you are currently feeding to make it a balanced diet...especially for a growing pup.

Are you aiming to feed the BARF diet or more the RAW diet? It may well be worth borrowing the books from your library and doing a read up in regards to feeding a balanced raw type diet.

There are some fantastic threads in this forum on what to feed - eg both in the way of meat/bones/vegies/fruit/offal etc and amounts - well worth doing a search if you have the time to flick thru oodles of threads...lol.

Also check out websites...there are some great ones out there that are very informative and easy to read (eg not slogged down with technicrap :thumbsup: )

This is what I made up yesterday Let me say I’m no expert and have changed my recipe following others tips, suggestions, expert advice and ideas

I also change it a little every time I make it and only use human grade meat, veg ect.. And use a food processor

1 ½ kg minced chicken frames (raw)

½ kg chicken mince (raw)

1kg Veg (I used peas, carrots, celery, ½ a baby beet, 2 garlic, pumpkin) blended up

4 eggs (with shells) blended

½ cup cooked oats

½ cup cooked (very well and blended) brown rice

100 mils flaxseed oil

1 tablespoon vegemite

1 tesp. Vita pet sprinkled on top

She’s has this and sardines in oil once a week and kibble (dry food =Purina pro plan at the moment) a few times a week

She can’t have bones at the moment but she should be getting chicken wings and chopped up chicken frames and lamb ribs

Hope this helps

I agree with Kitkat. If you are trying to feed a BARF type diet, about 50% of the diet should be raw meaty bones. I would assess this diet as deficient in calcium and phosphorus and probably over supplied with protein.

Ditch the meat strips and substiture chicken wings, necks or drumsticks, lamb or beef flaps, necks and other soft bones. Make up a proper BARF type mix of veggies, mince etc and feed that for the other 50% of the diet. You'd up the bones component to about 2/3 of the diet once she is more mature.

Have you done any reading about raw feeding? What you are feeding now isn't really a BARF diet - the basis of that is the bones.

Edited by poodlefan

Falling Dawn,

4 eggs is, in my opinion, far too much. The Albumin in raw egg white breaks down other vitamins and it is not recommended that dogs get eggs too often for this reason.

Because raw feeding is a guessing game, that is the reason I recommended a good quality dry food.

Falling Dawn,

4 eggs is, in my opinion, far too much. The Albumin in raw egg white breaks down other vitamins and it is not recommended that dogs get eggs too often for this reason.

Because raw feeding is a guessing game, that is the reason I recommended a good quality dry food.

It doesn't have to be a guessing game Scales and nor should it be. My view is either do your research and feed a "proper" raw diet or feed the best quality commercial food you can afford. Some of the diets that are considered by their owners to be "BARF" are entirely inappropriate for a dogs nutritional needs.

Raw egg whites contain a glycoprotein called avidin which binds Biotin (a "B" vitamin). However, raw egg yolks are one of natures richest sources of Biotin and there's more than enough Biotin in the yolks to override the effect of avidin. It's feeding raw egg whites on their own that can create a Biotin defiency. :rolleyes:

Edited by poodlefan

Falling Dawn,

It doesn't have to be a guessing game Scales and nor should it be. My view is either do your research and feed a "proper" raw diet or feed the best quality commercial food you can afford. Some of the diets that are considered by their owners to be "BARF" are entirely inappropriate for a dogs nutritional needs.

Raw egg whites contain a glycoprotein called avidin which binds Biotin (a "B" vitamin). However, raw egg yolks are one of natures richest sources of Biotin and there's more than enough Biotin in the yolks to override the effect of avidin. It's feeding raw egg whites on their own that can create a Biotin defiency. :rolleyes:

Strange... all my clinical nutrition text books same the same thing about feeding raw eggs, that basically shouldn't be done in large amounts, due to the biotin thing. Never knew that the yolk overrides this effect!

Scales:

Who would you believe - all the texts or an internet forum?

Or the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition?

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/full/75/2/179

It takes a fair bit to cause biotin deficiency. It's rare and I've never seen anything that suggests that anything other than a digestive disorder, pregnancy or excessive consumption of raw egg white can cause it in humans. If you have a source that shows otherwise, I'd be keen to read it.

I don't pull this stuff out of my armpit Scales. I don't advocate raw feeding as the only way to feed a dog.. and I don't advocate it for people who aren't prepared to research it. However, I do believe that I'm more than capable of meeting my dogs nutritional needs by making their food from scratch. Quite a few knowledgeable dog people agree with me.

Edited by poodlefan

Too egg or not to egg that is the question???

I have also read that the egg yolk conteracts the affect that too much egg white can have

Just let me say That mix would last Lucy 3-4 weeks so she is really only getting 1 egg a week spread out over 7 days

much better in My humble opion the if I was to give her whole eggs as a meal or crack one over her food as some people do But like I said Im just a beginer and am trying to do as much reaseaching on feeding raw as I can and trying to adapt and incorperate any new information

But like the OP asked she wanted ideas on what others feed

I agree with the advice from KitKat and Poodlefan. The only thing I want to add is that providing your dog with raw meaty bones like lamb shanks, lamb necks and chick carcasses not only provides your dog with calcium they give your dog lots chewing which also cleans thier teeth.

Vegetables should be raw and pulverised for optimum nutritional value.

You may be interested in a product from Vet's All Natural that I use called 'Health Booster'. It is an all natural source of multi vitamins, minerals, trace elements and anti-oxidants. Contains Dolomite, Liver Granules, Flax Seed Meal, Vitamin C Powder, Green Tea, Milk thisle Extract, Grape Seed Extract, Brewers Yeast, Barley Grass Powder, Kelp Granules, Parley Powder, Ginger, Lecithin ranules, Wheat Germ, Garlic Powder, Collostrum Powder, Shark Cartilage Powder, Boron Chelate, Zinc Chelate.

I also add Omega 3 oil to her meals. (it gives her a beautiful shiney coat)

For some reason (that someone else may be able to explain) my dog tends towards a loose poo when I feed her tin fish.

For some reason (that someone else may be able to explain) my dog tends towards a loose poo when I feed her tin fish.

It can be due to the amount of oil or jelly used to keep the fish moist etc in the canning process - fresh fish of course doesn't have this issue :offtopic: A tin of sardines in oil often doesn't cause a noticible problem for larger dogs tho it may for smaller dogs - so draining all or some of the excess oil might be worthwhile if it's proving an issue.

It can be due to the amount of oil or jelly used to keep the fish moist etc in the canning process - fresh fish of course doesn't have this issue :offtopic: A tin of sardines in oil often doesn't cause a noticible problem for larger dogs tho it may for smaller dogs - so draining all or some of the excess oil might be worthwhile if it's proving an issue.

Thankyou, I will try draining the excess oil and see if this fixes the problem.