Halti

Hi everyone, Just wanting some opinions on the Halti I have a Great Dane 18mths old and I use a Halti but I don't find that good when he gets too excited Has anyone else found this to be a problem & does anyone have any other suggestions as to what I may beable to use he also pull quite a bit at times....cheers...

Do you attend obedience school? Reason I ask is because a picture is worth a thousand words and every dog is an individual so even though a 'method' might be written out (not without a lot of explanation), there are nuances, I find, that need adjusting to suit owner and dog combo. With good instruction and then with good practice, chances are your dog may not require a head collar for maintenance of control and results should be seen in the very short term.

Diesel,I am a fan of Halters but only for Horses.Initally something like a Halti may change a Dog"s behaviour on the surface.The issues are still there though and not attended to.A House is only as good as the Foundation its built on.A Dog"s foundation is only as good as the relevant training he or she gets.I would be seeking a Knowledgeable source of training for you and the Dog. Tony

Hi everyone, Just wanting some opinions on the Halti I have a Great Dane 18mths old and I use a Halti but I don't find that good when he gets too excited Has anyone else found this to be a problem & does anyone have any other suggestions as to what I may be able to use he also pull quite a bit at times....cheers...

Can you tell us exactly when your dog displays the excitable behaviour, eg..... food, other dogs or playing with you or simple just walking with you. This will help in advising you with this problem.

what brand of halti are you using?I find the "Black Dog halter" is much better than the "halti" or "gentle leader",it is lighter and the dog accepts it better also they do not slip around as much.I would get the dog to sit when other dogs are approching,using food rewards allow him to lick the food but not take it unless he remains calm,Does your dog ever get to have free play with other dogs?My dog started on a halter and is now on a regular collar. :laugh:

My dogs walk ok when I have one at a time,but when im walking with toddler and stroller in tow,i use a coupler.

This is where the fun begins LOL..

The puppy plays up big time. Ive invested in a "lupi" harness today. I will use it tomorrow and see how i go.

Has anyone else used the "Lupi"?

I have tried the "LUPI" harness and found like most harnesses they tend to build up the strenth in the chest/shoulders-making them pull harder ,I really prefer the "black dog Halter"(older style one).I too have the problem of walking with a stroller and found a few lessons without the bub work wonders,both of my dogs are now happy to "Follow" rather than pull ahead,by the way after a couple of months on the halters and getting to know what i expect of them both are now on regular collars and don't pull.

sheree do u walk more than one dog at a time?

edited to add: i chose Lupi cause it says it good for dogs with back issues. My boy has been in a car accident and has a few fractures and limp. Wld the one u suggest be ok in this instance??

Edited by Lewis & Lyn

I walk both of my dogs-staffy x kelpie and staffy x mastiff together with the stroller,when I first started getting them used to the Idea I walked one at a time (just out the front nowhere special)It took about a week each,once they both "followed" I brought the other dog in,we then did a few laps of the front yard to make sure they remembered what i expected ,added the bub and off we went,as soon as they got ahead a bit we would simply stop until they came to heel,once in position started again.I believe it should be fine it works very similar to a "halti" but is much lighter-the best way I can describe it is "power steering for dogs".I also still take my halters with me and use them as a threat if they play up :laugh:

K9: Body hardnesses are good for allowing the dog to put all of its weight into the harness & pull weight.

The correction style harnesses do in some cases relieve the dog from pulling, but if you understand timing, command cues & rewards the these type of tools dont fit into that criteria.

This means that whilst they are on, many dogs wont pull, but take the off & they revert back to pulling again. This is what I call a "maintenance tool", rather than a training tool...

A simple martingale http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=mart.html or a prong collar http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=prongorder.html with the right training method, (see the bootom of this page http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=obed.html) will see the results you need, fast...

I have only just started using the Blackdog infin8 halter and I love it, so far I can recommend it. I am only using it as part of my training though, without the training it would be pointless for Bailey. The reason I got it was that he has been lunging at bikes when we go walking :) Hopefully he can be back on a flat collar soon, once I get him over that :D

Edited by Weimlover

We have a gentle leader and we have had great results with it, our now almost 1 yr old jack russell had major problems walking and the gentle leader broke her of her old habits and she now walks with a collar. We also have full body halters for our dogs that fit into the back of our car, but they are not very good for walking, not enough control.

Hi here is the link for the "black dog halters" http://blackdog.net.au/halters.php the first halter on the page is the infin 8 halter ,I would reccomend the training halter to start with you have a lot more control,once your dog walks nicely then try the infin 8.Personally I have tried both types and found with my dogs and others in my classes I instruct the training halter is 100% better control than the infin 8 but you have both options . :)