Dogs Nails

We use nail clippers or dremel/

There are plenty of wrong type nail clippers out there that will cause more harm.

ACP is a sedative but it should only be considered after consult with a vet & the dog is very healthy.It makes them drowsy .This would only be for an extreme case.

The prob with vets/nurses doing the nails is most of them havent a clue either unless there out cold so i would only recommend a vet where it is in the dog best benefit to be knocked out .

I have no hesitation in advising a client if their dog needs to see a vet for any particular reason.

I have told a couple of clients to take their dogs to the vets for nails, usually because the dog goes absolutely crazy which ever method I tried to clip the nails back.

Its to do with the dogs health and safetly. I dont care whether I am being paid to do it, if it is not safe for the dog or myself, I will always advise a trip to the vets.

I have also done the same for clipping. Some dogs have been that aggressive I could not even pick my scissors up from the table without the dog lunging at me snapping the whole time. I could not even get near the dog to restrain or muzzell, so I much rather have them taken to the vet and be sedated, than to cause any further harm or stress to the dog or myself.

Doberdawn goes in to heaps of detail about how to grind dog's nails: http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/dob...mel/dremel.html.

She describes exactly what the quick looks like so that you can grind right down to that point. In theory, if you do it regularly, the quick should recede. But you have to do it every 4 days! I use the dremel on a setting fast enough to get thu the nail, without getting too hot.

She has rescue dobes and suggests if they're really bad the vet do nails under anaesthetic.

Apparently with grinding, even if you do hit the quick, it doesn't bleed the same way as if cut with clippers. You can buy Styptic powder at pet shops which is meant to stop bleeding (haven't used it myself).

Mind you, I have trouble just keeping up with growth by grinding nails fortnightly on our 8 month pup, let alone getting the quick to recede.

When people suggest going to the vet's, they mean the vet doing the nails under sedation or anaesthetic, not the vet nurse or groomer at the vet.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

Is a dremel the same sort of nail file that people nail technicians use to file false gal nails?

They go around at super high speed! That would be good for grinding!

Sort of, but bigger and better :rofl: . 'Dremel''s just the brand name of a "rotary tool". Check out the doberdawn website above. 'Ozito' is another brand. I wouldn't bother with the very small cordless ones that are also for engraving. I use the same one on both a mini poodle (8kg) and standard poodle (25kg+). The other attachments are handy for sharpening tools etc. My kids lined up to have their toenails done and it works for that, too :laugh:.

Bunnings would have them, though the sanding drums are cheaper at Home Hardware. Sanding drums last for ages, by the way.

thanks for the link... was wondering why Doberman Dawn recommended NOT to use the sanding drums?

She does use the sanding drums. The picture shown is exactly what I use. She says not to use the grinding stones as they get too hot. There are metal ones in this kit as well that I would not use for the same reason.