Looking For An Obedience Club

Hi all

I'm looking for an obedience club, preferably in Bayside but happy to travel if it's worth my while. I currently attend the Showgrounds for ring craft lessons every Wednesday night. I am looking at competing with Zig at a later stage (he's only 9 months and has a LOT of maturing to do :rofl: ) and it's been a while since I have done so......not to mention in a different state! I do a fair bit of work with him at home using very short sessions of clicker work, toys etc so it's all fun and I'm pretty clear in how I want to train him. So...I'm looking for a club that is pretty flexible I suppose - classes that provide distractions for Zig to work through rather than extended heel work sessions and ring craft guidance for me. At the moment he has the concentration span of a gnat so I'm working on building this up :o I also want to do agility with him but obviously that will wait for another 12 months.

I'm just not sure how clubs work these days, having been out of the scene for a while....so any help would be appreciated ;)

This may be a tough one for you. Both clubs I am a member of you must go through the classes 1-5 or whatever it is with all of the other dogs, and the extended heel work etc, before you can really get any ring exposure. I think this is the case with most clubs.

One of the clubs is very flexible in the way you train your dog so that is not a problem, and there are many distractions ;) , but they require you to do the hard yards first.

If you are wanting to obedience train your dog and also have ring exposure right from the beginning, you may want to look at a private instructor.

Otherwise, if you can put in the hard yards at the start, and persist in the class work, I can recommend Werribee as a large, friendly trialling club, with flexibility, and a great environment to start your obedience training. They also offer agililty training too.

Thanks for the reply BC - yes I know it's difficult. I don't plan to trial him for a while but he has a strong tendency to get bored quickly so I'm working on things like 'finding' hidden toys and I'd like to do bits and pieces of advanced work such as scent discrimination, which I have very little experience in, plus dumbbell, sendaway etc....makes it easier down the track I think if you introduce these things early. Perhaps I may have to consider a private trainer once we get to trialling stage.

ETA: Probably also need a club that will take a Dally doing obedience seriously ;)

Edited by The Spotted Devil

ETA: Probably also need a club that will take a Dally doing obedience seriously ;)

Hey, I dont laught at the Dally's. There are a couple at Werribee that are successful in trialling, so amongst all of their energy and exitement for life, there is a nice little working ability hidden in there :rofl:

Before i moved to Bendigo, i was a member of Frankston Obedience Dog Club, and i used to be able to do whatever i wanted really, i would train in a class for 10 mins, i didnt have to do exercises i didnt agree with. Not sure how they are now, but i know some very good trainers are going there.

hastings dog club..... very flexible , encourage the use of toys, food, clickers what ever it takes... we have agility and trial groups too if you want to go that way very encouraging and flexible instructors :D :rofl:

Edited by ReXy

Keep us posted with what you decide Spotted Devil.

I would be very interested to hear how you go with the clubs around those areas, for flexibility etc.

I used to be a member of Moorabbin, and loved it.... Many years ago.

But I have moved areas now, and it is too far to travel to.

But it is so true, you have to do the hard yards first, for the clubs instructors to get to know you and your ability.

I find that very frusterating, as somtimes you feel you are stuck.

I stopped going to actual Obedience classes, as I wasn't happy with class situation.

I felt I was holding my dog back, as I didn't trust the other dogs in the class.

Basically, during off lead stays (drop) I rufused to go as far away from my dog as the instructor has the rest of the class.... this was due to the stay previously (sit) a dog in the line breaking and coming over to my dog, sniffing it, and rolling around near it. I felt the instructor was not quick enough to act, and they just allowed the dog to continue rolling around and literally knocking into my dog.

My dog was brilliant and didn't budge. Just looked at me, as if to say help!

So when I was question as to why I wouldn't leave her during the next stay, and I commented on the other dogs behaviour. I was told I obviously didn't have enough trust that my dog could complete the excersise.

This was not the case, I just wanted to make sure my dog was not put into a situation where she felt she HAD to break the excersise.

Anyway, sorry to go off the track. Just feel sometimes class situations in new clubs are difficult for reasonably experienced handlers. Or people like yourself Spotted Devil, that know how they want to train their dogs, and know what is best for their dogs.

Local Obedience club are somtimes too geared towards helping your everyday person, rather than noting the handlers that have inexperienced dogs, just looking ot train in a group situation for exposure....

With all that said.... If you decide to go with private lessons. I'd really be interested to know how you go? And Who you go to?

I had private tuition with my previous dog when I started to trial, and I found it great.

But this was with a dog that was already trialling.

Will do Maloo! I've got a few weeks study leave coming up soon so I will get out and about (in between the Royal Show :D ) and take the lad to a few different training set ups and see what (if anything) suits us. I'm really looking forward to it :rofl:

I don't mind that the clubs focus on the 'average' dog owner as they probably need more guidance....I know I certainly did when I first started. The only reason I am hesitant to work through heavily structured classes is because after a few minutes of working on an exercise, Zig will either need a break to mentally digest what we were doing (if it's a big step) OR will start preempting behaviours (if it's something he knows) so I need to really mix it up, keep him guessing and work on small steps of advanced work. I suppose I really need an instructor that will trust me to make the right decisions.

As I like to say...a busy Dally is a tired Dally is a good Dally :rofl:

Spotted Devil, I can totally recommend Frankston Dog Obedience Club. Great instructors there who will listen and also let you do your own style of training to a degree. Once you reach a certain standard you can work pretty much as you like in the rings. I go each week, never go in a class, just train my dog to the side of the rings or in the rings. Quite a few of us there trial and we put each other thru the rings or not as suits each person. There are also lots of good distractions for the dog like flyball running at one end and agility over to the side. Really great. It's been great for my dog. Some very very good trainers there too. I wouldn't go anywhere else now. You can be as structured or non-structured as you like within certain rules, really. I would suggest you go and look at Frankston and talk to a few people and see if it suits you. Then go around to a few other clubs and check them out and talk to a few people too. Work out which club suits you from a training pov. I have heard bayside-wise that Mornington is also good and also Hastings. Moorabbin good too but depends on the style of training you are wanting to do. That's why I always say go and look at a whole lot and hey, you can join more than one :D Good luck!

Thanks Arya and everyone for your responses - really, really appreciated.

I will definitely check out Frankston as it's a 30-40 minute drive which is very reasonable and sounds like a set-up that may suit us. I've got a bit on at the moment but look out for Captain Mad and me in a few weeks time....and lock up your well behaved puppies 'cause he'll lead them all astray :thumbsup: With all the distractions, it will be a huge step for him so I'm not expecting too much to start with :wave: