Kennel Cough Risk

Seems there is a risk? My club rang me today to say that training next week is off due to a KC scare. Apparently there is obedience training tomorrow but they asked me not to go because I attended an event last weekend (without my dogs mind you) and I could have taken it home to my dogs.

No sign of any symptoms at home thank goodness but yes they said I could have taken it home on my clothes.

Is there any infection risk if your dogs attend an event where some of the people attending have dogs (at home) who could have been exposed to KC?

How careful are you about not exposing your dog(s) to KC?

YES!

Kennel cough is highly contagious. It doesn't matter whether your dog has been vaccinated or not!

KC lays dormant for up to 10 days.

Recently around Vic - KC seems to have spread all around the shows/trials and obedience club.

Our obedience group went for a social run with 14 dogs after classes about a month ago. One dog had been exposed to KC. Out of the 14 - 6 came down with KC within the next 2 weeks (some caught it from their mates at home, but all were at the run).

I believe it is most likely to affect the 'older' dogs who have not been exposed to it yet.

BUT -if your dog have KC, please keep it at home - vaccinated or not, they can still get it.

My 2 were 2 of the 6 that got the KC - it involved 3 weeks at home and 2 missed shows that I *really* wanted to go to (haven't shown for a few months).....

Hope that answers the question :rolleyes:

Patch, exactly the situation that has prompted me to ask. Have been biting my tongue all day waiting for it to be "officially" disseminated.

:rolleyes: Ah I wondered if it was the same one but didn't want to mention it either. I guess lots of people are getting these calls?

Is there any infection risk if your dogs attend an event where some of the people attending have dogs (at home) who could have been exposed to KC?

How careful are you about not exposing your dog(s) to KC?

YES!

Kennel cough is highly contagious. It doesn't matter whether your dog has been vaccinated or not!

KC lays dormant for up to 10 days.

Hope that answers the question :rolleyes:

Hmm ok - I was thinking that if there are no symptoms in my dogs by next weekend (two weeks after the event) that I will go back to training next Saturday. I figure that should give it enough time to incubate if they are going to get it? (Obviously, if they do have symptoms I won't be going at all).

My bitch developed KC after a show at KCC about three weeks ago. My other dogs have since come down with it as well. All only mild, thanks to vaccinations and healthy imune systems.

It is spread by droplet infection mainly, but I would still be careful around people whose dogs have or have had it recently.

Inside shows (such as this one was) are a big risk. Seems to be rampant at the moment.

We were at the vets the other day and a dog came out of consultation and was coughing and did a little vomit. The nurse then came out from out back and commented about the cough and the client said - Vet has diagnosed kennel cough. I moved myself across the other side of the room ASAP and the nurse told her to put her dog in her car and come back and pay but she had walked there so had to stand there and pay.

After they left, Angus then had to move into the same area.

I am keeping an eye on him but he is healthy and fully immunised so fingers crossed.

"Fully immunised" and C5 vaccinations don't stop your dog from contracting Canine Cough.

My 13 month old goldie is just about over a dose of it - he started coughing and vomitting last Friday night.

Vet said there are 38 strands of Canine Cough and the C5 only covers the TWO most common strands.

My dog had a C5 six months ago. We won't bother again.

My other goldie is 5 years old - they both drink out of the same bowl and are forever mouthing each other when playing - so far he is as fit as a Malley Bull! :laugh: No sign of Canine Cough at all.......so I believe a lot has to do with their immune system regardless of vaccinations.

My young boy is the one who plays with all the other regular dogs at the park - which is where he must have picked up the virus - none of those dogs have so far come up with Canine Cough.

My vet said dogs can be carriers but never show any symptoms......

:rofl:

What shits me about the KC at ANKC events is the following

" I certify that this exhibit has not within the said period of three months been in a kennel affected with Distemper, Canine Hepatitis, Parvo Virus or any other contagious or infectious disease "

To me that means if you have a dog that has contracted a contagious disease or one that has been exposed to one , including in your own home, which qualifies as a "kennel", that you do not enter shows.