Could Any Of These Cause An Allergic Reaction?

BaaabyFlynn

I switched my dog to Eagle Pack - Holistic Anchovy, Sardine and Salmon - and his problems started about then too - whether before or after I cant remember - hence my question

these are the ingredients

Anchovy, Sardine & Salmon Meals,

Oatmeal,

Ground Brown Rice,

Ground White Rice,

Menhaden Fish Oil,

Dried Beet Pulp,

Flaxseed,

Dried Egg Product,

Carrots,

Sun-Cured Alfalfa,

Peas,

Salt,

Potassium Chloride,

Quinoa (Organic),

Apples,

Blueberries,

Inulin,

Beta-Carotene,

Cranberries,

Dehydrated Kelp,

Glucosamine Hydrochloride,

Yucca Schidigera Extract,

DL-Methionine,

Vitamin A Acetate,

Vitamin D3 Supplement,

Vitamin E Supplement,

Riboflavin Supplement,

Vitamin B12 Supplement,

d-Pantothenic Acid,

Niacin Supplement,

Choline Chloride,

Pyridoxine Hydrochloride,

Thiamine Mononitrate,

Folic Acid,

Ascorbic Acid,

Biotin,

Lecithin,

Rosemary Extract,

Inositol,

Polysaccharide Complexes of Zinc,

Iron,

Manganese,

Copper and Cobalt,

Potassium Iodate,

Sodium Selenite,

Lactobacillus acidophilus

Lactobacillus casei,

Enterococcus faecium,

B. subtillus,

Bacillus licheniformis,

Bacillus coagulins,

Aspergillus oryzae,

Aspergillus niger.

Could any of them cause allergic reactions??

What sort of allergic reactions are you refering too? I'm assuming you are meaning a food sensitivity rather than allergy which is more of a immediated and often more severe reaction.

Yes there are items within that food that your dog could be sensitive to. Commonly the dried beet pulp, grain component (rice or oats) or even the meat protein type (fish in this case), but any one of the ingredients could be responsible.

How long has it been since you started the new food and the reactions occuring?

All can depend on what causes the allergy for your dog...

Perhaps switch foods for a bit to see if the issues continue or not?

A couple of good foods to try are Royal Canin GSD, Royal Canin Sensitive (can't remember if that's the name of it!), Proplan Sensitive (Salmon), Proplan turkey, Advance turkey, Euk Lamb and rice.

Edited by KitKat

What sign of allergies are there?

eta: Most substances can cause an allergic reaction, at any time. "But he's never had a problem before" doesn't mean anything.

Any other environmental causes? e.g. pollen (change of seasons now), plants in garden, grasses ???

Edited by Poodle wrangler

reaction was sneezing and a snotty nose and behaviour as if something was up there - but not scratching

it seems to be improving now we are off the food

we were on pro plan salmon for a couple of years and the chicken and rice before that - he is on Purina ONE now til i get round to getting more pro plan.

Flaxseed is known to cause skin problems in horses

Kelp is also known to cause problems.

The rice/cereals are also known allergins.

However in saying that.... As a migrane sufferer. And looking at the list of food KNOWN to cause migraines.... Just about anything you can eat can cause allergies.

If food allergy. It is one of the hardest to find out what causes it. Did the dog have the allergy before you switched food?

If there are new grasses growing (with the recent influx of rain) such as crows foot, pasphalum (sp) to name two..these are also known allergins.

How often have you changed the diet??

Normally also food allergies can take a month for the dog to get over. So if you change too frequently, you may not know if it was food or other..

I would stick to what you are feeding the dog now for another month or so...just to cross check whether it was the food or something that may have been growing in the garden at the time.

reaction was sneezing and a snotty nose and behaviour as if something was up there - but not scratching

it seems to be improving now we are off the food

we were on pro plan salmon for a couple of years and the chicken and rice before that - he is on Purina ONE now til i get round to getting more pro plan.

I don't think that's typical of a food allergy/ intolerance :cry: .

One of my dogs has eyes that get a clear discharge and sneezes on and off on occasions. Vet thinks he's allergic to grass, but he's fine. No treatment required other than a wet tissue to each eye in the morning. Switching foods made no difference.

Have you had a Vet check him to see he hasn't got a foreign(sp?) body such as a grass seed stuck in one of his nostrils?

This can cause what you are describing.

That is what I would be doing first and foremost. Also it is hayfever season and yes dogs do suffer from hayfever etc and your Vet can prescribe an Anti-histamine like Polaramine which is quite safe for most dogs

went back to one of the vets - now the dog has lesions on the inside of his nose - jesus - really? you mean my dogs sick? goddamnit I wish they would listen when i talk

we are trying steroids in case it is lupus if not then we need to go in - $600 minimum just for the scope - could be a growth, could be a tumor, could be something else

his monocytes were apparently up which indicates infection or tumor - bloody hell