Grooming A Weaton

Nevafollo

Ahh - Soft Coated Wheatens - so much fun to groom :)

We have one that comes into daycare and for grooming and he is always a huge mess! Takes forever to get the knots out and you can virtually see his coat knottting up afterwards too :rofl: I mostly just used lots of elbow grease and time (used a comb, dematter and scissors to help separate the worst knots)

Hopefully Sheridan will be on to give you some more hints :rofl:

Like this: http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/profile.asp?dog=7171? :)

Sorry I can't help with the actual grooming, but I thought they don't drop fur? It was one of the breeds that came up when I was looking at allergy-friendly dogs.

Don't forget to charge more for the matts, if it's a paying customer :rofl:.

eta: They look very cute and I met one at our local beach once. Why get a DD when you've got these guys?

Edited by Poodle wrangler

If dogs are badly matted we refuse to deknot.

If the wheaton has a good coat or the knots are easy to remove then normally we would do in a breed specific puppy clip which simply means shorter for the pet person to manage.

If its a rotten mess then they get what is salvagable

thanx guys atleast now i know what i am getting myself in for think i charged a little bit low but i can always bump it up if he looks really bad and it takes forever....they have a PBGV aswel whos ment to be in similar condition so evern more fun...

HOLY COW POODLE WRANGLER thats not what the ones at dog school look like!!!wowser!!!

Edited by sammy_ballerina

If dogs are badly matted we refuse to deknot.

If the wheaton has a good coat or the knots are easy to remove then normally we would do in a breed specific puppy clip which simply means shorter for the pet person to manage.

If its a rotten mess then they get what is salvagable

I dont either. Will take you forever and painful for the dog if it is matted. I would advise the client to either maintain their dog a bit better or it is all coming off.

If only knots, just get your comb and scissors to seperate and brush out and then as SD said, do an all over puppy clip so they can manage this better, and also easier for you if they rebook. It sounds as though they're not overly fussed about their dogs appearance so they may just want it all taken off :laugh:

Good luck though :laugh:

For the wheaten's that i do are totally different from eachother. One gets a #3 all over with a wheaten head and the other has a 3/4" blade accross the bach lightly graded into the lower body and legs and a fluffy head. then lots of hand scissoring. He always has bad knots and takes about 2and a half hours to brush and a further hour and a half atleast to clip. If knots are bad shes up for around $80 if not $60. She's got arthritis in her hands so i dont charge as much with her pension card. and hes in every 2 weeks. Doubt she brushes him at home at all though, If he goes 3 or 4 weeks without a groom I have to set aside a specific person to brush him. ;)

All i have to say is...

good luck sammy_ballerina

:rofl:

Edited by goldiesRgreat

ive done a few wheatons. one we used to clip off regularly. the other was in full coat and we brushed her out. she didnt mind it but it always took a long time. she came in every two weeks. couldnt clip her nails without her screaming the house down ;)