Mary Ray Seminar

PAX

Yep Tassie was there last year as well & I got to meet her as well as CTD.

Pax I will keep an eye out for you, I will have Jarrah with me, not sure if I will take either of the other 2 (I took Jonty last year), but Jarrah's pretty easy to pick even amongst 40 dogs :) .

For anyone who is coming, just make sure you check for ticks as I know they get them around there & my vets told me last week that they are rife this year because of the warmth & the early rain (I know you'd know about ticks Pax, I meant for anyone else who may be coming & doesnt know :rofl: ).

Edited by MrsD

Hi guys

Yep - I'm going again this year - enjoyed it so much last year. A friend from Bowral is coming with me this year - we're sharing a cabin.

Pax, you will have a great time. The camping area is just above the cabins, and is quite sheltered - and campers have 3 big bathrooms down in the main conference centre.

Yes - plenty of tick protection. Last year, on the advice of the vet surgery that runs priceless pets, I used Advantix and Proban tablets - and will do so again. They said a tick collar as well, but although I bought the collars I didn't use them. Daily checks are still an absolute necessity - much easier with smooth-coated dogs, you lucky things. I'm paranoid that I'm going to miss a tick on my dogs ... and then there are the cane toads - only saw a couple last year. There were some green ants around too.

I'm leaving for Melbourne on Wednesday, then taking in a couple of trials in the southern highlands on the way up.

Hi Helen - enjoy the Gina O'Keefe workshop. I would have liked to have gone to that, but I was already going north.

Hi Tassie,

I have been there before but not to Mary Ray.

I had a cabin last time and they are just fantastic, so well set up. I had a big fat disgusting Cane Toad sit on our veranda there, I had to get Tony to come and get it........ewww.

Are you there for the whole week?

I can't wait. :)

Oh, sorry Pax - didn't realise you'd been up there before. (Do now - read the other list!)

Ugh - cane toad on the verandah - hope not this time. The only one I saw alive was up near the little dam in the camping area.

Yes, my friend and I will be there for the week - Cabin 2. She'll get there middle of Sunday, I think - I'll be later on Sunday evening - making a quick dash up from just north of Sydney. My friend has Labs - a yellow and a black - agility, obedience and doggy dancing. I'm hoping she'll have her black boy in the cabaret on the Firday evening.

Look forward to meeting you up there.

Loretta and I will be going - sharing a cabin - two toy poodles and 1 lagotto - you should be able to pick us out! LOL

We are having a stopover in Coffs Saturday night so that we can get there a little earlier on Sunday. PLEASE remember to say hello. Seems I always get back and then find out that all these dolers were there.

Hey Mrs. D, you know we can't be in the same place at the same time, everyone thinks we are the same person. Looks like we will blow our disguise. Oh well, can't win 'em all.

So you think just the frontline won't be enough? Should go Proban tabs as well? Lagotto coat is so dense it would be easy to miss a tick.

Haven't been to anything all year, thought I would blow all the dosh on this one. Sooooo looking forward to it.

Noels.

I use advantix only and my dogs very rarely get ticks, I do check them everyday still.

I would suggest you put Advantix on three days before coming to Coffs Harbour as we have lots of ticks too.

Aargh! Now that will really confuse me - I know I did that mix-up names thing before.

On the tick thing - I'm just going by what the priceless pets helpline people told me when I was ordering meds online. They said Mt Warning - not too far away - is the ancestral home of the paralysis tick :) - and advised the combination protection. The dogs didn't seem to come to any harm from the double up - it was only for the week - the rest of the trip I just used the Advantix fortnightly. I"m pretty sure Ann and Tony use Proban all the season for their home dogs.

Yes, I can imagine the Lagotto coat would be a nightmare to search - although the advice I got was you still need to search even if they're on chemical protection. A friend had her Springers on Proban, and her boy still got sick from a tick. Ugh - hate the things. We do have them down here in Tassie, but they're a small proportion of the tick population - even so, they seem to be increasing, and spreading, and each year dogs die or get sick - especially because we don't typically use tick protection.

Noels (to avoid a MrsD/Mrsdog confusion :rofl: ) - can you tell me where you stay in Coffs? I'll probably stay a night there on my way back south.

Now this is a secret (wink, wink, nod,nod) but the Windmill Motel in Coffs keeps two rooms for people with dogs. It is not out of the way being on the way through and set well back from the road so no noise. Dogs are allowed inside and they also have a restaurant.

How's that for a good find?

We plan on driving right through on the way back, but thought it would be a good stopover on way up.

You do realise that I wouldn't share this secret with just anybody, don't you?

Noels.

Teehee! Well, I won't tell if you won't :) .

Thanks for that - actually, I did know that - I stayed there on my way back last year - but they are size-ist :rofl: - only small dogs. Apparently 2 BCs don't count! However, they were quite happy with the dogs sleeping in the car - and my guys are totally used to doing that, so it was good. And there is that lovely big fenced dog park just across the highway and half a block down.

2 more sleeps till I have to be on the road to catch the Spirit of Tasmania - eek - that means two more sleeps till I have to be ready. And I'm working tomorrow.