Flea Treatments?

persephone

Hi...

Due to her moving around everywhere now, and a spurt of hot weather,Poor little witchetty has a lot of stick-fast fleas... an occupational hazard here..and I usually use advantage or permethrin spray for the dogs.

Today was a town day..no other one for about a fortnight..and the vet was closed!!!

All I could get was some frontline... and I bought some capstar tabs, which ,apparently can be used on baby pups. Has anyone done this?

Has anyone used frontline on puppies? I haven't...and was wondering.

It NEEDS to work, as the darn stickfast are everywhere here in the dry sand...we get bitten too :laugh: The rabbits,birds,cats and dogs all have a share...but they can take a lot of blood from pups :champagne:

Thanks.

I can put a light oil on the ones visible...but more will just hop on as soon as we turn around ....how I WISH we had the big 'dog fleas' instead...SO much easier to control....

if you need a flea treatment to kills fleas on contact to you can get the stuff you want from a vet lemons juice mixed with water works wonders even lemon juice from the supermarket in the yellow bottle

just spray on dog and watch the fleas drop

for those that want a natural flea treatment spray the dogs and wash their bedding with lemon juice added to the wash and spray any kennel areas

Thanks...

express post? Not out here..we only get two mails a week ( except when there is a public hol, then only one!) :o

I did try the capstar.... poor little thing..the fleas went, but witchetty was not at all well...threw up a couple of times... and was very dull. :eek:

She's bright as a button today tho..stealing bones and annoying everyone.

No more capstar for her.

I shall investigate the lemon idea:)

hi all

have been told vinegar works as well but have never tried it myself

the actually recipe for the lemon spray is entire lemon cut into slices boil in 600ml and steep overnight but when you need a quick fix you don't want to wait overnight i have used both fresh and brought lemon juice in water with very good results

i took one of my dogs away and they came home with lots of fleas on them so thought i would do a quick fix and mixed it up and sprayed him right in the middle of the lounge room well you should seen all the fleas that drop of him in about two seconds flat all over my carpet luckily they all died quickly and did not have a carpet full of live fleas :o

i always keep a bottle of lemon juice for those odds occasions when they may come home with a couple of fleas and haven't got a spot on handy or don't want to give them another dose if they have been done recently

Sorry Persephone :o You must be far out, try the bushies trick then and dunk the pup in sump oil :eek:

Don't laugh...I still use sump oil occasionally!

We used to use it all the time...mixed with a little sulphur for mange ( after the dogs ahd been after mangy foxes)..or painted on ears etc for the stickfast fleas.

It works so well on the stickfast...they can't breathe, and die.

The chooks always used to get their combs and feet painted with it..killed fleas, and scaly -leg mites.It was also sprayed on their perches to kill ticks & nasties.

Pigs can use it as well to kill lice.

very good stuff...for OUTDOOR critters!!!!

I was tearing my hair out with stick fast fleas, and actually rang Bayer for a bleat. They sent me a goodie pack of all different products to try on the animals. One thing that did work a treat ( under their guidance) was to put a drop of advantage on every chook, just behind the wattle. Do not eat the eggs for a week. I found that all the fleas just shrivelled up and eventually fell off, and they stayed clear for ages. All the chooks lived and are fine. Bayer said that they have done testing on chickens but it just isn't viable as a method of control in flocks.

It also seems to knock the flea population for a six over time, and I had tried spraying woth everything. The DPI said their eggs etc can stay in the ground and in wood for 10 years !!! And the only sure way is to burn the coop where it stands.

I use advantage for the dogs and cat, and it kills the stickfast fleas, tho sometimes I pull them off if I see them ( they would be in the process of dying tho)

A little vasoline around the edges of the ears keep the blighters from hooking in, and I just check between the pads of their feet, the testicles ( if they have them) and around the eyes, and armpits.

Chook Scaley leg and mites are easily controlled by ONE application of pour on cattle wormer ( ivermectin) One or two drops on the skin at the base of the neck is what the vet told me when I had a rooster covered really bad with scaley leg. So much easier than sump oil :( It took 4 weeks for the legs to be totally normal again, from one application.

no problems Persophone...hey how small of a puppy? The packet says 7 weeks, but I was reading a vet site ( aussie, but can't remember what one) and they said advantage was safe from TWO days!! I haven't heard that anywhere, and meant to ask the vet this morning when I was there and I forgot cause they were really busy....

Sorry Persephone :thumbsup: You must be far out, try the bushies trick then and dunk the pup in sump oil :thumbsup:

Don't laugh...I still use sump oil occasionally!

I lived in outback QLD but went to boarding school in NSW. At the end of the holidays I would soak my horses tails in sump oil so that they wouldnt be so matted next holidays. They were paddock horses and not given any attention in between holidays. It seemed to work. :thumbsup:

Yes, I can remember my Grandfather using it for mange on dogs. To be honest I thought it was a old wives tale, so it's could to know the dogs werent greased for nothing!

:thumbsup: