Gassy Response To Barf

We've had Buffy on a complete raw diet for a bit over a week now, we introduced it slowly with no problems, however she has developed the nastiest gas I have ever encountered (worse than hubby!!).

Poos all normal and fine but this gas... oh my gosh. I don't want her in the car with me!! Could it be a reaction to the diet she's on? And if so, is it normal and will it go away??

Thanks everyone :thumbsup:

What is it that you have been feeding?

Flatulence is not normal on a reaw diet , however, it may be an adjustment period for her that she will get over, most dogs when switched cold turkey will have loose "motions" sometimes, their system has to detox from all the processed foods in their body........

Chicken mince, pet mince (containing offal), minced vegies (carrot, pumpkin, sweet potato, beans, zucchini, apple, cauliflower), chicken frames, brisket bones, chicken wings, just tried a tin of sardines, an egg a week, some natural yoghurt.

I've tried to follow that Dr Billinghurst book, as well as the trainers at my IPO club, I don't think I'm overdoing it and we switched her over very gradually, no loose poos or anything.

Edited by JeffnCel

My vet put one of my dogs on a raw diet, I persisted for 2 weeks but in the end had to stop. She wasn't happy either, it simply didn't agree with her.

Just like us, they are all different. Someone put a thread on about Yakult the other day, I'm sure it's great for some people but my reaction was so violent I couldn't leave home for a day ... :thumbsup:

She's really not eating what we're giving her at all.. except for the bone side of her diet. She loves chicken frames, and brisket bones, it's just the mincey type stuff she doesn't seem to like. Our IPO club said to just leave her hungry, and she'll eat when she realises there's nothing else, but really, if she doesn't like it should I be forcing the issue?? Surely a 80% RMB 20% good quality dry food would be ok? I'm really worried she'll lose weight and then turn into a really fussy eater.

Thanks for the help :rofl:

EDIT: I only added the cauliflower in the current mix which she hasn't actually eaten any of, but I will remove it from now on.

Edited by JeffnCel

I find that offal sometime gives them gas but I figure that I only feed offal once in a while so I can handle the gas when I do feed it! Also are you mixing anything in with the veggies? I find that my girl doesn't like the vegies on their own but if I add sardines or egg or pet mince etc she loves it! Try mixing the veggies and mince together so that there is more mince than veg, then over time decrease the amount of mince to allow for more veggies.

We're mixing the meat and vegies in together, origally I did it about 50/50 but this lot I've made less vegies and more meat, to see if that will get her to eat it. I've been putting a bit of dry food in with it as well this week to see if that will encourage her. Maybe it is too much vegies that's the problem??

Maybe I should just start again... plain meat and then gradually add in vegies two or three times a week, but smaller quantities.

If you are feeding pet quality mince, this may be the cause of the problem (in addition to the cauliflower). Try upgrading to human quality minces and see if it makes a difference.

Pet mince can be less than fresh and heavily laced with preservatives - I've had a dog end up with gastro after feeding it.

Edited by poodlefan

We buy chicken mince from lennards which I thought was just minced chicken frames, we have bought pet mince but she's only had it maybe once, and even then it was only half of her dinner she actually ate.

I will buy some normal mince and see how she goes on that though thanks :rofl:

Edited by JeffnCel

Completely BARF just over a week. Before that we were adding bits and pieces to her dry food to get her used to different tastes. I really think the problem is the vegies. When we first started adding in chicken mince and pet mince stuff, she would push the dry food aside and only eat the meat. It's now that we've added in vegies she's becoming a fussy eater and leaving almost all her food, choosing only to eat chicken frames, brisket bones and chicken wings.

So I have a fussy eater, and a dog full of the most horrendous gas!!

What are probiotics?? And where do I find them?? I also heard someone mention an additive called "missing link" or something like that? What vitamins should I be adding to her food to keep her healthy?

Probiotics are gut flora that aid digestion. The best ones are obtained in the fridge section of the health food shop. As she is eating a diet that in someways is 'new' to her digestive system, they may be of assistance in digesting it.

Sometimes dogs switching to a full BARF diet experience some "detox" reactions - this may be part of the issue. That should pass in a few weeks. A higher level of processing of the veggies (ie blending or juicing) might help and I"d also suggest adding some apples or pears to the mix - the pectin they contain is very settling for the stomach.

I'd reduce the amount of veggies in the mince to about 20% and then slowly work up once that level is being eaten. My dogs changed over using this method after initial 50/50 meals were rejected.

If you were looking a general nutritional supplement I'd recommend the one from www.greenpet.com.au which comes from Brisbane. I also feed their joint formula. Missing Link canine formula is great but not available at the moment.

Thanks so much that's such great info!!!!

I put a lot of apples into the last mix, and was actually just writing out my shopping list and had put pears down on it :rofl:

At the moment, I'm juicing vegies and using the pulp. For right now, should I be putting a bit more juice mix into her meat, to at least get some goodness into her? Also, how do you make your mixes? Do you make them and freeze them, or make them fresh each day?

I'm full of questions today :rofl:

Thanks so much that's such great info!!!!

I put a lot of apples into the last mix, and was actually just writing out my shopping list and had put pears down on it :rofl:

At the moment, I'm juicing vegies and using the pulp. For right now, should I be putting a bit more juice mix into her meat, to at least get some goodness into her? Also, how do you make your mixes? Do you make them and freeze them, or make them fresh each day?

I'm full of questions today :rofl:

I try to feed some fruit, a root vegie (usually several) a green vegie or two and always pumpkin in my mixes. I look for what's on special mainly. I juice it and only add enough juice to make a firm but not wet consistency. As she's an adult dog, I'd not worry too much about her missing out on nutrients - she'll get most of what she needs from RMBs while she adjusts to the new food.

I make and freeze my BARF mix in meal sized batches. Friends of mine with a few larger dogs just do the eggs, yoghurt and veggies and add fresh mince to save on freezer space.

I have posted my BARF recipe on here a few times and can do so again if you like.

Thanks for the offer I actually looked it up before I started with this whole BARF stuff :rofl:

Our Buffy is not an adult, she's about to be 7 months old next week! :rofl: Alright, so take the gas as "getting used to knew diet" and just keep persisting with her eating it? I have heard that dogs will not starve themselves, it just worries me she's not eating.

Thanks for the offer I actually looked it up before I started with this whole BARF stuff :eek:

Our Buffy is not an adult, she's about to be 7 months old next week! :eek: Alright, so take the gas as "getting used to knew diet" and just keep persisting with her eating it? I have heard that dogs will not starve themselves, it just worries me she's not eating.

Oh, she's still a youngster. :rofl:

I'd be inclined to read the gas as part of the new diet but I would be tempted to add the probiotics. What she doesn't have you can.

Make sure what you feed is at room temp, not cold and garnishing with some nice grated cheese (mine liked parmesan :rofl:) seems to assist with palatability. :rofl: