Bladder Stones

Ons

I went on holidays for 3 1/2 weeks and the dogs were left at the kennels, same kennels I always use.

When they arrived home, I noticed Tilly, my 20 months old golden retreiver peeing a lot so I took her to the vets. As she wouldn't pee there he gave her an ultrasound and found bladder stones in her bladder :(

He has just rung to confirm from a urine sample that Tilly does have an infection for which she will be given antibiotics and the bladder stones are ones that can be treated by diet hopefully and then to see what is happening by another ultrasound in a month. The diet is a special tinned food and that is the only thing she is allowed to eat for a whole month! She never really likes tinned food anyway and hates the same food day in day out. She normally has Advance Dog biscuits with home cooked meat/vegie/pasta/rice stew on top or occassionally Four Paws or rarely Natures Own tinned dog food. I asked the vet if she could have vegies and he did think about it but then said no.

Does anyone know of a better diet than this tinned food that will help with the bladder stones?

eta I'm also worried about giving her this tinned food as she does suffer from itches and hotspots which I can mainly control by watching what I feed her.

Edited by Onslowsmum

I thought most of the prescription diets came in dry as well as canned. They work best when they are the only diet.

So I suppose this can food is only available from thr vet too ????

I think so, as they have to be prescriped by the vet before you can use them.

It will be the Hills U/I diet for which most dogs dont do any better on.

Stones is prevalent in our breed & is often diet related with too much red meat.

One client whose dog suffered badly asked her doctor & did an internet search on the human diet & made up a home made meal after having her boy on the tinned for a year with no result.

This isnt to say for the first week or so the tin wont be benefical but it normally costs for a cartoon over $100.

Also stick the dog on cranberry tablets

Sounds like another payment on the BMW. Toohey got the idea what kind of stones are they ?? but there again that would require Quality Of Diagnosis. ???????????????????????????????????????

Second opinion maybe ??

Hills Science UD is the perfect food for bladder stones - Ollie was diagnosed with them and they were removed over two years ago (no recurrence yet, thanks to HS)... He eats the dry food though - he would not touch the tinned stuff...

From research and based on the type of stones your dog has, you can formulate a fresh food diet - Ollie has a mixture of HS and fresh foods and that seems to work fine... I had a bit of help sorting out his diet from the ladies at All Natural Vet Care (the holistic vets we use for his cancer treatment)...

For the record Ollies stones were oxalate stones - it may depend on what type of stones your dog has...

The vet on on Sunday morning didn't know what sort of stones Tilly had, I was supposed to ring Tilly's vet today but I was out of the office all day. I will ring tomorrow.

All I know is that the stones are the sort that can be dissolved by diet rather than taken out by operation. I trust this vet and I saw the stones on the ultrasound myself so I know that they are there. I just wished that there was a better diet for her. I googled on the weekend and all I could find was what diet to give her after they have disolved so they don't reoccur. She needs to go on a low protein/high salt diet. I understand the salt is so she will drink lots which will flush her bladder out.

Thanks everyone for their help. StaffyLuve where are All Natural Holistic vets? In Sydney? If so, I might take her down there after a month if the diet isn't helping.

If anyone heres of anything please let me know. Thanks again.

that was a quick answer even by DOL standards :)

thanks Staffy Luv!

eta i note that they do phone consultations. I'll find out the name of the stones and give them a ring. It wouldn't hurt!

Edited by Onslowsmum