Puppy Humping

madmummy

hi all,

My 4.5mth old CCKS has started humping ;) hehe. Just want to check this is normal for her age :thumbsup:. We have a door snake thing only it is large and has the head of a lion.. it is her best friend every night she has a wrestle with it, but the other night also decided to give it a little hump... My DH almost fell off his lounge, he didn't think female dogs did this hehe.

Will she continue her humping habit post desexing and can you tell me what we should do when she does it? the other night i just distracted her but i don't know if i should just let her be aslong as it isn't a person??.

thanks

Something I would like to know as well.

My 8 month old CKCS does the same, she would find her boyfriend (a teddy she has had since 8 weeks) and each night would dry hump it.

Now this has developed into humping anything, she has taught herself to do it with just the carpet and her paws. :mad

I just distract her when she looks like she is about to start! Yet I dont know if this is going to teach her that my carpet is not her boyfriend.

Given the chance, my pup (now 10 months old) will hump anything inanimate he can get his paws on....cushions, pillows, his bed, his blanket :mad It's usually when he's hyped up (that happens a lot with Dallies :rofl: ) so before he gets to that stage I tell him to "Steady", meaning "slow down".....if he grabs at something I calmly tell him to "Leave" - he's really good about it now although I still wouldn't trust him on his own in the lounge room for more than 30 seconds.

hi all,

My 4.5mth old CCKS has started humping :rofl: hehe. Just want to check this is normal for her age :p. We have a door snake thing only it is large and has the head of a lion.. it is her best friend every night she has a wrestle with it, but the other night also decided to give it a little hump... My DH almost fell off his lounge, he didn't think female dogs did this hehe.

Will she continue her humping habit post desexing and can you tell me what we should do when she does it? the other night i just distracted her but i don't know if i should just let her be aslong as it isn't a person??.

thanks

Sorry to get off topic here...but what does 'DH' stand for?? it looks like something I sometimes call my hubby, but I dont think you mean the same thing? :mad

I agree..a habit a lot of people think is funny..but one to be discouraged, IMO.

Distractions, lots more mental stimulation like treat balls, 'thinking' games, lots of very short obedience session thru the day

Never had the problem, but would perhaps a water pistol help?

That way it wouldn't be a human doing the correcting...but a sudden dousing with vinegary water may bring the session to a halt...THEN..when attention is diverted..an odedience session, ending on a high note, with lots of praise?

Just suggestions...

Thanks for all the advice.

I haven't seen her do it since that one time but im definately NOT going to let it keep happening, as someone says i know enough to know its bad doggie manners :mad.

I will use distraction and i want to go buy a treat ball thingo for her aswell :rofl:.

She gets lots of short obedience practice during the day with me and then a longer session in the evening with my hubby.

I had a young foster boy here for a few weeks. He was chronic humper and drove my other dogs nuts. I rarely use aversives with my dogs but this boy got a squirt in the face with a water bottle every time I saw him try it on.

He now lives in a home with a desexed female of the same breed and apart from an attempt at a humpfest on the first day (he got the water treatement from his new owner) he is now out of the habit.

The little boy in my avatar - Echo - was desexed when I adopted him from the pound in May. He turned out to be a chronic humper too, nothing would put him off - it was both me and the other dogs!!! If I sat on the sofa for a second, he was on my arm and going for broke.

Having not had that problem, I sought advice and got the squirt him in the face with water technique - it took about a week but he was cured!!!