9 Week Old Jrt Wees Everywhere

Riley'n'Mia

Hi all,

I have just brought home a gorgeous JRT female (Mia) last Saturday as a second dog to keep my 15 week old male German Shepherd (Riley) company. The puppies get along really well Riley was a little rough playing with Mia the first few days but I never leave them unsupervised and things are settling down nicely now they are starting to form a bond.

Now to my problem...........Riley my GSD was excellent at toilet training when I got him the first week he prob did two No. 1's and one No.2 in the house and then for about a month after that about once a week would do one wee a week inside now he never goes inside and sits at the door whimpering if he's ready to go outside and relieve himself.

Mia on the other hand is a nightmare she goes everywhere I take her outside about every 30-40 minutes and she just wants to play (I ignore her and take away any toys if any are in sight and leave Riley inside) then she just sits staring at me. When I bring her back inside she will do a wee or two or three always very small puddles as though she's saving them up to spread around the house and usually does them on Riley's bed or her own bed rarely on the floor I thought dogs didn't like messing where they sleep. When I catch her about to squat and do No. 2 I take her outside and she again gets distracted and won't go last night I was outside for almost an hour trying to make her go and at 11pm I gave up and went inside to clean my teeth sure enough she did a poo on her own bed urgh........... :mad

Any suggestions anyone :rofl:

post-20511-1191980815_thumb.jpg

post-20511-1191980823_thumb.jpg

Riley how is Mia doing?

I found with Mitch that i needed to take her out every 30 minutes or so during the day, at night i got up twice cause she needed to go.

What are you feeding her? Cause some times that can effect how much she is pooing. I found on science diet she pooed overnight, on nutro she didn;t.

Riley how is Mia doing?

I found with Mitch that i needed to take her out every 30 minutes or so during the day, at night i got up twice cause she needed to go.

What are you feeding her? Cause some times that can effect how much she is pooing. I found on science diet she pooed overnight, on nutro she didn;t.

Hi Kristie

Mia is going well her and Riley get along great now, I was a bit concerned at first as Riley is sooo big he was playing too rough with her but she never backs down and tells him off all the time. The past few days they have been so much better Riley lies down and lets her jump all over him (rather than him trying to squash her when playing).

I am feeding her the same stuff I give Riley that I buy from his breeder it's called be-NatuRal I was a bit worried that because it has the correct amount of protein, vitamins etcetera for him it might not be right for her so I faxed the ingredients to the vet and she said it was fine. Maybe I should try nutro, I give her about a third of a cup of dry food in the morning and the same at night but also give her a tiny mouthful of mince at night plus half a chicken neck for lunch and sometimes a bone to mix it up a bit.

What happens with one dog i.e. your German Shepherd was trained easily doesn't mean the same for your next dog. You need to remember she is a baby.

I have found in the past that boys appear to be easier to house train than girls. Don't know why just my observation with my dogs past and present.

What worries me is that she is going on her bedding. This would be due to what happened before you got her.

Keep at it. I know it gets frustrating but perhaps you need a puppy pen to contain the area at least where she is going. If your house is all carpet just buy a piece of lino to fit the puppy pen and that will also give you somewhere to put her when you are not home. Or could be good for time out.

What happens with one dog i.e. your German Shepherd was trained easily doesn't mean the same for your next dog. You need to remember she is a baby.

I have found in the past that boys appear to be easier to house train than girls. Don't know why just my observation with my dogs past and present.

What worries me is that she is going on her bedding. This would be due to what happened before you got her.

Keep at it. I know it gets frustrating but perhaps you need a puppy pen to contain the area at least where she is going. If your house is all carpet just buy a piece of lino to fit the puppy pen and that will also give you somewhere to put her when you are not home. Or could be good for time out.

Hi dogsdot thanks for the advice luckily we are in a house with all wooden floor boards at the moment and I have a crate that is big enough for the GS when he's fully grown so I put Mia in there for a while at times such as when I want to cook dinner etcetera so I don't have to watch her 24/7 (she also sleeps in a crate). I have been trying the suggestion of taking her outside on the lead and after about 15 mins of playing and carrying on she does usually go (and I give the comment "do a wee" the whole time then praise her to no end when she does) but only No.1 still won't poo on the lead she did however actually go into the crate last night to poo but did it on the bed not the newspaper. The breeder I bought her off had the puppies in a large grassed pen in the backyard. During the day she is kept in the same kind of enclosure in the backyard so the GS cannot play with her unsupervised and he has free run of the rest of the backyard.

The first few night went I got Cody he went on his bed aswell, and like you, I always thought puppies didn't go where they sleep?? Cody has only peed on his bed but he has some paper next to his bed and never use's it :laugh: so I'm interested in this thread also, but I'm lucky of late as I'm getting up in the morning before he has gone so I'm getting him outside for his morning toilet....good luck with Mia.

i stayed up an hour and half one night

just to see that my pup HAD wee'd outside b4 bringing him in

its the biggest bore and it was really cold and i had to work the next day

at 130am he peed

yay!!

u have to have success ..the dogs have to know what is wanted of them so make a huge fuss

try to tether him round ur waist and watch every move..dont get distracted

otherwise it will take them longer

going outside has to be associated with the act of weeing otherwise they just dont get it..tiles carpet timber flooring becomes their preferred toileting area..so make sure u clean well..i use biozet cos its supposed to break down the component of urine that actually lingers long after we cant smell anything

take a piece of soiled paper with u into the garden where u want them to go and keep putting the pup on it

have a little game outside...cos the excitement might speed the process

i check that they have gone...i actually look and if i have to..feel!! yeah i know yukky but sometimes in the dark u cant be sure that they have indeed squatted...

i think im doing as well as i can cos i have some little breeds that are notorious for being hard to house-train...its tough but im sure it will be worth the effort...

good luck

Hi all,

I have just brought home a gorgeous JRT female (Mia) last Saturday as a second dog to keep my 15 week old male German Shepherd (Riley) company. The puppies get along really well Riley was a little rough playing with Mia the first few days but I never leave them unsupervised and things are settling down nicely now they are starting to form a bond.

Now to my problem...........Riley my GSD was excellent at toilet training when I got him the first week he prob did two No. 1's and one No.2 in the house and then for about a month after that about once a week would do one wee a week inside now he never goes inside and sits at the door whimpering if he's ready to go outside and relieve himself.

Mia on the other hand is a nightmare she goes everywhere I take her outside about every 30-40 minutes and she just wants to play (I ignore her and take away any toys if any are in sight and leave Riley inside) then she just sits staring at me. When I bring her back inside she will do a wee or two or three always very small puddles as though she's saving them up to spread around the house and usually does them on Riley's bed or her own bed rarely on the floor I thought dogs didn't like messing where they sleep. When I catch her about to squat and do No. 2 I take her outside and she again gets distracted and won't go last night I was outside for almost an hour trying to make her go and at 11pm I gave up and went inside to clean my teeth sure enough she did a poo on her own bed urgh........... ;)

Any suggestions anyone ;)

Hi rileymygsd, firstly can I say what beautiful dogs both of them are, your puppy looks so full of character I just love jrt's. As far as your toilet training problem the breeder gave you the answer large grassy pens that the pups could go to the toilet on when they wanted to. I think now your pup does not understand the time frame she has to do the toilet in.

A great way to solve this is to bring the toilet indoors, what I mean is for you to get a receptical like a very large cat litter tray and put a slab of turf in it so it contains the grass and the dirt from outside. This way she has access both indoors and out to do the toilet that she can assosiate to. Once she is using the recepticle consistantly you can move it closer and closer to the door until she then only goes outside. This means that you do not have to spend hours at a time outside waiting and then keep having to go out every haif hour to take her to the toilet. It would still be a good idea to take her out sometimes during the evening so that she can still have assosiation to outside but this way she has something inside that resembles outside and they seek this out themselves. You can still use your toilet training commands inside with the receptical and outside aswell. This way just makes the whole process a lot quicker for the dog to become consistant in toilet training. Not forgetting to reward both inside and outside correct toilet behaviour.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice everyone and also the compliments I think the pups are both pretty cute too :) just a quick update on Mia, she has been getting better since I have been taking her outside on the lead she usually does a wee within 5 minutes of going outside and then we have a play (after we try for 20 mins to see if she's ready for No. 2) which she loves so I think she's realised no wee no fun ! She so far has only managed to do No.2's on the lead twice still does that on her bedding sometimes but she's getting better. At least I am starting to see progress so it's helping lift my spirits which makes standing outside for hours on end not seem like it's all for nothing.

Where did the puppy come from? Pups raised outside or kept confined (eg. in a pet shop) have no idea about toilet training. Starting with a 9 week old pup, you can have quite a few weeks of "I pee anywhere I when I need to go" learning to undo.

:laugh::rofl: :rofl: :D :laugh: Mishka went in the garden!! Of course I went and picked it up, but before that I cuddled and shmoozed him and told him 'GOOD TOILET'!

After dancing (Think the 'Evan Almighty' dance with the puppy on my chest) around the yard, I got his brekky and a poop scoop bag.

Anyone want to declare me insane yet?

Where did the puppy come from? Pups raised outside or kept confined (eg. in a pet shop) have no idea about toilet training. Starting with a 9 week old pup, you can have quite a few weeks of "I pee anywhere I when I need to go" learning to undo.

She came from a breeder in the Upper Hunter this is only the second litter of puppies they have raised and they are friends of my OH he works with the man who bred them. I tried to explain to OH that buying a puppy from them as oppose to say one of the breeders found on dogzonline (which is where we found my baby Riley - the GS) was not the best idea but I got sick of arguing and gave in (please don't get mad at me). Don't get me wrong she's totally adorable and has a really good nature but she sure is hard work ATM......I am sure she'll learn with time, love and persistence I was just worried I was doing something wrong because we were so spoilt with the GS learning everything so quickly.

Cazz - that dance would have been highly amusing I hope your neighbours caught you :laugh: don't worry once I can safely say that Mia is toilet trained I too will be dancing :laugh: