Is Rolling On Back Showing Tummy Submissive?

Our 9 month old GSP (who we have only recently got) was told "no" very sternly yesterday (I think because he tried to "mouth" one of the kids or was tugging at his shirt) and he immediately dropped and rolled on his back exposing his tummy. Was this him showing me he knows I'm boss or something else? He's been told no before and hasn't done this, and of course when having a rub/being patted he sometimes rolls over for a tummy rub but was surprised when he did this after being told off.

I would say the same that in this case it was probably be sumbissing to you. Your body language as well as your tone of voice would have emphasised that you were not happy with that behaviour.

If it happens again, and he rolls on his back, I would ignore it. Just incase it leads to issues later on. It is good that he has recognised you are "the boss" however if you then find he does it all the time you say no (even if not as sternly as you had done this time) he may do it at the slightest no and inhibit his long term confidence.

Oh, cool...Mishka rolls over when I go near him, I thought he wanted to play. When I tried to tell him no this morning he stayed on his back and started whining. I put his breakfast bowl down and came in. As soon as the door closed, he got up and sniffed in the bowl.

Did I do the wrong thing? I didn't touch him, just said 'NO' when he got ready to roll over, which started the whining so I ignored it.

Each case is hard to really tell as it is a personal interaction between the person and the dog. When I have had young puppies wanting to do that here that is what I normally do. Just go oh well and ignore it and walk away.

Personally, I think it best to ignore it. I just shrug my shoulders so to speak go oh well.. and walk away. If the dog then comes up to me.. I make big fuss.. I am rewarding that rather than rolling over and rewarding that. In my opinion the more fuss you make while the dog in on its back in that situation, is only enforcing the behaviour.