What Could This Have Been?

kas

My boy (a 9yr old border collie) has been a bit sick over the last few days.

He seems much better today and really back to his old self.

I am not sure what the problem was and was wondering if anyone here had any ideas.

Basically his symptoms were:

- He was off his food yesterday, just not interested in what he had, but was a bit interested in what we were eating.

- his gums were a quite pale, not quite the normal pink colour. He was not very active however. They are a nice pink again tonight.

- not drinking a lot but enough

- Has moments of being ok but otherwise rather lethargic

- tummy seems bloated & he was uncomfortable. Was not lying in his normal position but more on his tummy with his head resting on his paws.

- reluctant to walk much and seemed wobbly in legs when he did.

- he would not cock his leg to pee and just squatted

He also had a bad case of upset tummy yesterday afternoon and late last night.

We stopped his food, and have only just given him a small amount of dinner tonight. He seems back to his normal self and is very interested in his food now.

He did slip on the tiles 2 days ago and seemed to hurt his back or hips. We gave him some asprin last night (which might have contributed to the upset tummy) to help relieve any pain.

We have also just brought home our new baby, so this might have caused him some stress etc as his pack has been a bit disrupted. He has however taken her addition quite well.

Ok, well I think that is all. Just looking for any ideas on if you think it might be related to a hip/back/ arthritis problem or more of a tummy/colic problem, or any other options.

Edited to add: Something similar happened about a month ago. We took him to the vet straight away, but they could not find anything wrong with him. Gave him a cortisone shot to boost him. He was much better that night and the next day. I don't want this to be a continuing problem so need to find some solution to what it could be.

Thanks.

Edited by kas

I am no expert, however......pale gums normally means anaemic. At nine years old he could have a bit of arthritis in the rear which could be the reason he seems wobbly and doesnt cock his leg?

How much aspirin did you give him? I would give a BC about a 1/4 to a 1/2 an aspirin.

If it was a tummy problem I would have thought he would rather NOT lie on it, so maybe it is related to his fall on the tiles.

ETA - I just found this in another thread (hope its ok to pinch it) does it sound familiar?

http://www.addisondogs.com/addisons/whatis.html

The symptoms of Addison’s disease can be vague. More importantly, they are similar to the symptoms of many different problems. Initially, the dog may be listless, or seem depressed. Many dogs are described as just seeming off, or losing the normal sparkle in their eye. Lack of appetite is a good indicator. Other symptoms include gastro-intestinal problems like vomiting and diarrhea. Pain in the hindquarters, or generalized muscle weakness such as a dog that can’t jump onto the bed or couch as he has done in the past is not uncommon. Shivering or muscle tremors may also be present. The most important thing to remember is that you know your dog better than anyone. If something seems amiss, have it checked out.

These symptoms may wax and wane over months or years making diagnosis difficult. If the adrenals continue deteriorating, ultimately the dog will have an acute episode called an Addisonian crisis. Potassium levels elevate and disrupt normal function of the heart. Arrhythmias can result and blood pressure drops to dangerously low levels. BUN and creatinine levels, generally indicators of kidney function, are often elevated. At this point many animals are diagnosed with renal failure, as the kidneys are unable to function properly. Typically animals are given IV solutions for rehydration, which may produce an almost miraculous recovery. This too, is a great indication that failure of the adrenals rather than of the kidneys is creating the symptoms.

Edited by Rysup

Asprin can kill dogs - just like chocolate some dogs seem fine others have an allergic reaction.

It is a possibilty that the asprin caused it ................. If I were you I'd see the vet to get some rimadyl for occasions such as these........Much safer.

Probably best to take your boy to the vets, what happened doesnt sound right, and is probably something very treatable. :laugh:

I wouldnt give the dog any drugs unless your vet has advised you to do so.

Very hard to try to diagnose things over the internet, especially when we arent vets. :rolleyes:

Asprin can kill dogs - just like chocolate some dogs seem fine others have an allergic reaction.

It is a possibilty that the asprin caused it ................. If I were you I'd see the vet to get some rimadyl for occasions such as these........Much safer.

Actually Rimadyl is one of the most dangerous drugs a dog can be given - especially longer term - as Rysup said, google it for more info - there are all too many dog deaths from this drug. It can be extremely effective but that is worth weighing up against the awful side effects.

Metacam is a safer pain reliever/anti inflammatory for dogs but you need to see the vet to get it, its normally used for arthritis but can be used for pain relief for a lot of conditions. I wouldn't self dose any animal without vets advice.

Rimadyl is one of the most dangerous drugs a dog can be given - especially longer term

I have been a vet nurse for over 14mths now and have never seen any problems with it in the time I have been there,Long or short term.Maybe we are lucky!

We reccomend a full blood test to check kidney function etc in all dogs prescribed the meds and have had no problems so far.Those who are long term users are tested every 3mths to see if there has been any problems............most of the long term patients are treated for arthritis.

Every spey or dental with extractions is sent home a pain pack containing Rimdayl prescribed at 2mg per kg,it is safe to use up to 4mg per kg.

Just like people some dogs react differently to different drugs.............you are more likely to have a BAD reaction to a GA than to rimadyl tabs.

This is my experience but I have googled rimadyl but am yet to find a confirmed death due to rimadyl.

please correct me if I'm wrong but I cant find one.

ETA - I have used rimadyl on all of my dogs with no problems (I did not have blood tests prior)

Edited by sheree_e4

Aspirin can really irritate the stomach lining, especially if NOT given with food.

Rimadyl is one of the "non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs" (NSAID).

All drugs have side effects and most NSAIDS must be given with food to avoid stomach irritation. They can cause stomach ulcers with long-term use and if not taken with food.

I work with plenty of humans on these drugs and they prefer to get good pain relief, even with risk of side effects. They're not for everyone.

Remember when Vioxx was pulled off the market (humans)? I had plenty of people say they'd be happy to run a higher risk of heart attack/ stroke etc., because they had poor quality of life with their pain :( .

Talk it over with the vet. I'd prefer my dog to get pain relief even if there were risks of side effects.

If the vet has no idea what's going on and this has happened more than once :eek:

I'd think about another vet.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

He seems to be pretty much back to himself so will just monitor and see how he goes.

If anything else changes or developes then we will take him to the vet for some blood tests etc.

Thanks again.

Personally i would take him to see a chiro or muscle manipulator. Sounds like he has done some damage to himself from the fall.

I have had dogs who have had major falls and shown some nasty symptoms including urination and tremors etc.

Treated by a vet/chiro and back to normal after manipulation and some crate rest.

I dont know where you are so cant reccomend anyone to you. But there are some real good vet/chiros around in most state capitals and in some country areas.