Lymphoma Diaganosed

~Chelby~

One of my girls has been diagonsed with Lymphoma. We are devestated.

Chelsea is no different, she is still a happy, bouncy cheeky dog. Its heartbreaking to know that its all going to start to go down hill for her.

I would love to hear from someone that has been thru this.

Hi Chelby,

Srry to hear that your dog has been diagnosed with lymphoma. I had a dog called Cindy, mastiff x, big girl, that was diagnosed with the same this time last year. No symtoms, just found a lump in cheek bones at annual checkup. Lymph nodes in neck slightly bigger than normal. Did biopsy, lymphoma. The vet gave her 4-8 weeks from diagnosis. I seriously considered chemo, but was talking to a friend who put me onto a herbalist in Bathurst. His name is Robert McDowell (you can google him).

I discarded the chemo option very quickly after spending a lot of time looking at his site, and you will probably find that very helpful. There are a lot of testamonials from people who have used his herbal treatment with great success. The good thing is this herbal stuff does not harm the dog in any way, they boost the immune system instead of depleting it.

I put my girl on the Maritime Pine Bark + Lymphoma Support and she lasted 8.5 months after diagnosis. Not a sign of illness or sickness at all during these months, she had excellent quality of life and most of the time I have forgotten about her having cancer. We had to put her to sleep at the end of June this year because she became paralysed in the hindlegs in one day.

I am glad not to have done chemo and let nature take its course. Dogs don't understand what chemo is for and I don't want to further stress her out. I was very happy to have 8 more months with her. You can check out our testamonial on his website.

Give your dog a big cuddle for me.

Hi Chelby,

We lost a very special Saint bitch to Lymphoma in 1999. She was diagnosed in the April, her symptoms were very enlarged mammary glands and she went off her food.

At first I thought it was a phantom pregnancy. But other than her loss of appetite, she was very happy in herself.

Our vet suggested that we try her on Hills NCD food and her appetite returned to normal.

A friend told us to try her on essiac tea, which we got from the health food shop. Had to boil it up, brew it and place it on her food.

She ate it and we had a terrific response initially, however this did not last long and we lost her in the July that same year.

We refused chemotherapy for our bitch, having had another friend try chemo and she regretted it, claiming that her bitch was so very sick, lethargic and vomiting all the time, she lost all quality of life whilst on it and eventually succumbed anyway.

Our decision to refuse chemo was also made as the odds given to us were not good, and we wanted our girl to spend her time with us feeling as well and happy as we could allow her to be.

On a more positive note, I gave the left over essiac tea that I had to a friend who also had a bitch diagnosed with the same, and her bitch lasted for a further 22 months.

She swears by the essiac tea and I have since heard many other success stories from people who have also used essiac tea.

I truly believe that some forms of Lymphoma are a lot more destructive than others, but if I was given the same diagnosis again, I would immediately resort to essiac tea again, as I believe in some cases it does work wonders and any chance is worth grabbing.

Just remember that Chelsea does not understand why she is not feeling as she should be and as hard as it is, having you upset will only upset her more.

Smile for all the happines she has given to you over the years and love her like you have never loved before, for you owe her nothing less, than seeing the joy she gives to you on your face every day.

I send you our prayers for success and every good wish for Chelsea, treasure every day that you are blessed to spend together and enjoy every moment of that time with her.

Lesley

Sorry to hear your news,

We don't have lymphoma but mast cell cancer (grade 2 no clear margins on excision)...

Ollie has been treated both conventionally and holistically.... And he is still here, two years after being diagnosed. He takes fish oil and vitamin C as well a other things to keep him as healthy as possible while he fights the cancer... We did do chemo and he is still in remission today.

Where are you, it may be a good idea to chat with an holistic vet - we use All Natural Vet care in Sydney (we are in Canberra)...

staffyluv - i have read one of your other posts re: ollies treatment. Do you give him human type fish oil and vit c? Or, do you get a something from a vet/pet type distributor?

Sorry if i sound completly stupid, but, this is all so new to me. I had no idea i even had options till yesterday.

Oh, i am in Perth. WA

Edited by ~Chelby~

Hi Chelby,

Unfortunately we lost our precious little girl last year to Lymphoma. We took her to the vet for a regular checkup in early May 06 only to be told she had this nasty disease. We chose not to go down the path of Chemo as it would not improve the Quality of life only prolong it as it was significantly throughout her body. Our vet (who is also a close friend) put her on a strong course of quarterzone and then suprisingly Georgie went into remission around August 06.

Then in late Nov it hit her again only this time hard. We believe it attacked her nervous system as her face drooped and she lost movement in the left side of her body. Up until this point we had some hope but did not once believe she was 100% cured, we just made her life as exciting as possible. It is making me cry just thinking about it :rolleyes: We miss her terribly.

Then in Dec last year we had to make the horrible decision to have her PTS. It broke our hearts.

It is a nasty thing for dogs or in fact anyone to get. We found that Georgie was always panting, she put on a massive amount of weight due to the Quarterzone and drank heaps of water. When she was having a good day she loved life and was happy but when the days were tough she looked so sad. We had many a sleepless night.

I can only wish you hope and send you out lots of hugs and wishes. I hope that the time you have with your girl is precious and you enjoy every moment. Give her lots of love and spoil her rotten.

Keep up the fight and when the time comes you will know what is right.

Good luck with it and I send you all my love.

staffyluv - i have read one of your other posts re: ollies treatment. Do you give him human type fish oil and vit c? Or, do you get a something from a vet/pet type distributor?

Sorry if i sound completly stupid, but, this is all so new to me. I had no idea i even had options till yesterday.

Oh, i am in Perth. WA

We use human supplements.

He is about 24kg at the moment and he takes 1000mg a day of fish oil and 1000mg (500mg twice a day) of vitamin C ( we use the one that is chewable and buffered, gentler on the tummy)...

I am sure someone had some info on a perth holistic vet here one day - put a post up asking if anyone knows of a holistic vet in perth in the general section - you should get a response we have a few WA people here...

Don't feel silly asking questions - that is how we all learn

Cheers

Jodie

I have a friend with a Cavalier diagnosed earlier in the year. She was given 3 months to live.

They located a Holistic Vet in SA, and were told annual vaccinations are likely the cause, to stop all medications like this, treat her homeopathically, and given a BARF diet........She has a new lease of life, is jumping out of her skin, and has never looked better, and the regular check ups are all good news .........They are thrilled with this natural therapy approach, and call it a miracle........

My old King Charles Beau was diagnosed with Lymphoma of the throat and the vet gave him three months to live... He was his normal happy self until we put him on the drugs suggested by the vet... He went down hill very quickly on these, so after a few days we took him off... Drug free he lived another 3.5 years...

My first dog - a beautiful old BCX Amber was diagnosed with advanced lymphoma. The vet said that they could probably cure it once but the treatment would not be pleasant for her and after 12 months it would return and could not be treated again. Amber was a rescue and I had not had her long but she had had a lot of health problems and her immune system was not good. I took her to an holistic vet who was fantastic and until her last week about 2 months after the initial diagnosis she was fine and, I think, painfree. She went down hill very suddenly and I had to make that horrible decision - I do miss her. I think if it had been caught earlier and she had been in better overall health she might have got through it or at least survived for longer with the holistic treatment. good luck.

thanks everyone for your responses.

I had the call from the vet today, confirming what he thought.

We are booked to see the oncoligist on Wednesday..

I will also find at holistic vet in perth and seek help from them as well.

I find it encouraging to read these varing responses, I know what the end result is, but, i feel more sure that we can help her, and that fingers crossed, the end is not so close.

it seems like a lot of people whose dog had had lymphoma had some success with the holistic approach, I certainly have and probably well worth a try Chelby.

Just remember that you are making decisions with the dog's best interest at heart. Once I made the decision not to give her chemo, I wasn't stressed out anymore and really enjoyed the time I had with Cindy. When you are comfortable with the decision you make, the cancer did not seem to matter anymore.

Wish you & Chelsea well in your journey together to fight this disease.

Hi Chelby,

I know all the emotions you are going through, and I'm sorry you have to deal with this disease.

I have a dane with lymphoma here at the moment... It is nearly three months since diagnosis and she is on a mix of Pred and Chlorambucil (chemotherapeutic tablets).

I know some people are against chemo but Harley has not had one side effect from her treatment (other than neededing to pee more from the pred). Her quality of life has been normal throughout.

She is also undergoing regular blood tests to measure the effectiveness of the treatment against the cancer and so far so good.

Think hard about it and do what you know is best for you and your dog, and enjoy every day/week/month you have left.

Lymphoma is just so unfair :love:

Dani

Hi Chelby,

I know all the emotions you are going through, and I'm sorry you have to deal with this disease.

I have a dane with lymphoma here at the moment... It is nearly three months since diagnosis and she is on a mix of Pred and Chlorambucil (chemotherapeutic tablets).

I know some people are against chemo but Harley has not had one side effect from her treatment (other than neededing to pee more from the pred). Her quality of life has been normal throughout.

She is also undergoing regular blood tests to measure the effectiveness of the treatment against the cancer and so far so good.

Think hard about it and do what you know is best for you and your dog, and enjoy every day/week/month you have left.

Lymphoma is just so unfair :love:

Dani

Dani,

When Ollie was on chemo, he did not really have any problems either (from the chemo). The reason that dogs and cats do not react to chemo like we do is:

Our doctors bombard our system to kill the cancer - this can kill off our good cells as well and we often need bone marrow transplants. Unfortunately vets do not have the luxury of doing bone marrow transplants on animals, so the dose is much lower and is only designed to give the animal longevity. Cures in animals comes from catching it early and removing the offending cancer...

Chemo definitely has its place in the treatment of our animals IMO... As does holistic medicine...

Jodie