Obedience Pairs And Stuff

Arya

Hi, I was thinking about Agility pairs and stuff the other day when out on a walk. Has something like this ever been done in Obedience? My idea would be to have, a bit like ice dancing, pairs with people. You could have it set up two ways with two types of pairs competitions. One formal - so the pair of competitors had to be competing in the same level of Obedience and they have to do a set pattern together, called by the judge as in regular Ob as is done now. Everything matching and perfect (this would be a bit like the formal dance routines in ice skating. Then there could be a separate 'freestyle pairs' type event - like ice skating then has freedance within their competition. Now I don't mean dog dancing at all, that's different of course. I mean the pair of competitors could create their own heeling pattern and other excercises within, say, a five minute or longer time frame, depending on the level of competition. Can you imagine? This would be very exciting to watch. There could then be winners of formal Ob, winners of freestyle Ob and a combined overall winner - again just as is done with human ice dancing at Olympic level I've seen on TV. It would be great! And the other thing is, at the other end of the scale not elite, imagine how much support friends could get from each other, particularly in CCD if you had CCD pairs. You could go in together. It would be fun and it would be a good way to start out. I would love to see this! I would love to go in this! (though nobody would pair up with someone whose dog loses her brains in the ring LOL). Actually, it would provide support for the dogs if their team member was in the ring doing it as well as them. Great fun all around :love:

Imagine, matching dogs of similar size or same breed (though wouldn't have to be at all!!!) doing stuff in unison with handlers doing stuff in unison. Matching recalls, matching drop on recalls. Matching dumbells. Great!!!

Anyway, wondering if this has been done. I think there was some pairs or something at the State trial fun events in Vic this year but missed them.

What do others think about this? I am interested to know.

Hi, I was thinking about Agility pairs and stuff the other day when out on a walk. Has something like this ever been done in Obedience? My idea would be to have, a bit like ice dancing, pairs with people. You could have it set up two ways with two types of pairs competitions. One formal - so the pair of competitors had to be competing in the same level of Obedience and they have to do a set pattern together, called by the judge as in regular Ob as is done now. Everything matching and perfect (this would be a bit like the formal dance routines in ice skating. Then there could be a separate 'freestyle pairs' type event - like ice skating then has freedance within their competition. Now I don't mean dog dancing at all, that's different of course. I mean the pair of competitors could create their own heeling pattern and other excercises within, say, a five minute or longer time frame, depending on the level of competition. Can you imagine? This would be very exciting to watch. There could then be winners of formal Ob, winners of freestyle Ob and a combined overall winner - again just as is done with human ice dancing at Olympic level I've seen on TV. It would be great! And the other thing is, at the other end of the scale not elite, imagine how much support friends could get from each other, particularly in CCD if you had CCD pairs. You could go in together. It would be fun and it would be a good way to start out. I would love to see this! I would love to go in this! (though nobody would pair up with someone whose dog loses her brains in the ring LOL). Actually, it would provide support for the dogs if their team member was in the ring doing it as well as them. Great fun all around :love:

Imagine, matching dogs of similar size or same breed (though wouldn't have to be at all!!!) doing stuff in unison with handlers doing stuff in unison. Matching recalls, matching drop on recalls. Matching dumbells. Great!!!

Anyway, wondering if this has been done. I think there was some pairs or something at the State trial fun events in Vic this year but missed them.

What do others think about this? I am interested to know.

If they can do it in dressage, I don't see why you couldn't do it in obedience. :laugh:

Last year I had a friend take my duck dog into open in obedience and I was standing outside the ring watching. The dog was working beautifully - didn't lose a point in heeling or SFE - did a lovely DOR and then it came to the dumbbell on the flat. Zoe threw the dumbbell and sent Blaize to get it. The dog raced out picked the dumbbell up came racing back ran straight past Zoe and presented the dumbbell beautifully to me outside the ring. We laughed out loud and said this is the new open exercise called strategic pairs. :laugh:

Last year I had a friend take my duck dog into open in obedience and I was standing outside the ring watching. The dog was working beautifully - didn't lose a point in heeling or SFE - did a lovely DOR and then it came to the dumbbell on the flat. Zoe threw the dumbbell and sent Blaize to get it. The dog raced out picked the dumbbell up came racing back ran straight past Zoe and presented the dumbbell beautifully to me outside the ring. We laughed out loud and said this is the new open exercise called strategic pairs. :laugh:

Ah, that's priceless :laugh:

OMG, what can you do but laugh!!! Great effort for her to get to that point without going over to you. They do some crazy things, don't they :laugh: