Police Dogs

Seita

Sorry it's taken me soo long to get back to replying to this thread! I've been at work non stop pretty much for the last 2 days.

Pinnacle dts:

So Seita what actually was the outcome from your seige the other day, do we get to know?

Everything worked out ok, my neighbour is safe and he is getting better I've been told - he was trying to kill himself, which is what the whole situation was about the other night. The cops overreacted big time which made Will (my neighbour) overreacted and the whole thing blew out of propotion in a BIG way! But everyone is safe and the episode ended about 9pm (after 7 hours) on Sunday night.

Cavnrott:

You're Bored You've got a seige and maybe a hostage situation going on right under your nose and you're bored???? Man!!! What does it take to rev you up That's scary stuff happening there.

Honesty I was never worried for my saftey, I know Will and knew that he would not do anything to anyone else

Erny:

QUOTE(Seita @ 28th Oct 2007 - 07:15 PM)

I am currently under instruction to remain inside my house due to there being a domestic issue going on with my neighbours. I have about 6 police cars, an ambulance, a paramedics car and a dog squad car parked in front of my house... so I am somewhat bored.

You find all of THAT boring?

I was never in any danger during the whole thing, nor was anyone else and because I never felt in any danger that's why I found the situation boring!! :confused:

K9force:

K9: when I have worked dogs in similar circumstances I too have asked that all other dogs be put away, the concern was FOR my dogs, I didnt want them being attacked by someone's dog that was lose...

Police Service Dogs are worked in environments of high distractions all the time including other dogs being around, barking & working on other tasks, so I cant see that being an issue...

About the dog thing, I fully understand a handler asking for a dog to be put away for its and their dogs own safety. My main thoughts were more in regards to the dog being quite distracted by my dog, who was lying quietly in my yard for most of this. It wasn't until they moved the dog closer to my front gate that my dog started getting more excited and that was more from the police dog trying to go into my yard (gate was closed).

The situation sparked my curiosity more than anything, what would the police do in a situation similar to this one but where the owner of the civilian dog was not home? The dog was very focussed once they started working with him, what I saw of him - 2 yards over and somewhat in the dark - he was really really focussed on the house and Will yelling at the police. I have no doubt that the dog was fully focussed on his job. Do you think they asked me to put my dog away more out of concern that she would try and get to their dog and just gave the excuse that they needed to focus him?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry it's taken me soo long to get back to replying to this thread! I've been at work non stop pretty much for the last 2 days.

Pinnacle dts:

So Seita what actually was the outcome from your seige the other day, do we get to know?

Everything worked out ok, my neighbour is safe and he is getting better I've been told - he was trying to kill himself, which is what the whole situation was about the other night. The cops overreacted big time which made Will (my neighbour) overreacted and the whole thing blew out of propotion in a BIG way! But everyone is safe and the episode ended about 9pm (after 7 hours) on Sunday night.

Cavnrott:

You're Bored You've got a seige and maybe a hostage situation going on right under your nose and you're bored???? Man!!! What does it take to rev you up That's scary stuff happening there.

Honesty I was never worried for my saftey, I know Will and knew that he would not do anything to anyone else

Erny:

I am currently under instruction to remain inside my house due to there being a domestic issue going on with my neighbours. I have about 6 police cars, an ambulance, a paramedics car and a dog squad car parked in front of my house... so I am somewhat bored.

I was never in any danger during the whole thing, nor was anyone else and because I never felt in any danger that's why I found the situation boring!! :confused:

K9force:

K9: when I have worked dogs in similar circumstances I too have asked that all other dogs be put away, the concern was FOR my dogs, I didnt want them being attacked by someone's dog that was lose...

Police Service Dogs are worked in environments of high distractions all the time including other dogs being around, barking & working on other tasks, so I cant see that being an issue...

About the dog thing, I fully understand a handler asking for a dog to be put away for its and their dogs own safety. My main thoughts were more in regards to the dog being quite distracted by my dog, who was lying quietly in my yard for most of this. It wasn't until they moved the dog closer to my front gate that my dog started getting more excited and that was more from the police dog trying to go into my yard (gate was closed).

The situation sparked my curiosity more than anything, what would the police do in a situation similar to this one but where the owner of the civilian dog was not home? The dog was very focussed once they started working with him, what I saw of him - 2 yards over and somewhat in the dark - he was really really focussed on the house and Will yelling at the police. I have no doubt that the dog was fully focussed on his job. Do you think they asked me to put my dog away more out of concern that she would try and get to their dog and just gave the excuse that they needed to focus him?

Seita thanks for letting us know what happend. Your poor neigbhour must have a lot going on in their lives to think about killing themseleves. I am glad they are getting better.

If the Police dog was trying to get into your yard because it saw your dog then this is not good. Was it off or on lead? If it was off lead it's poor timimg by the handler or the handler was new. If it was on lead still poor control by the handler and possabilly new to the job. But they all have to learn through experience on the job it the best way to learn.

Who called the police in the first place? do you know what they told them. I don't see how someone trying to kill themselves would involve Police dogs in the response. It's all a bit funny unless they were told that drugs, bombs or protection dogs were needed.

Edited because of my lousy spelling lol

Edited by pinnacle dts

Pinnacle dts:

Cavnrott:

Erny:

K9force:

Seita thanks for letting us know what happend. Your poor neigbhour must have a lot going on in their lives to think about killing themseleves. I am glad they are getting better.

If the Police dog was trying to get into your yard because it saw your dog then this is not good. Was it off or on lead? If it was off lead it's poor timimg by the handler or the handler was new. If it was on lead still poor control by the handler and possabilly new to the job. But they all have to learn through experience on the job it the best way to learn.

Who called the police in the first place? do you know what they told them. I don't see how someone trying to kill themselves would involve Police dogs in the response. It's all a bit funny unless they were told that drugs, bombs or protection dogs were needed.

Edited because of my lousy spelling lol

The police dog was on lead but he seemed young and pretty interested in what was going on around. But he did the job just fine when it came to the crunch. My thoughts were the same, that he might be still learning somewhat.

Apparently the story goes a bit like this: Will has been depressed, Sunday morning took a concoction of pain meds and copious amounts of alcohol and subsequentially passed out. His fiancee found him unconscious and called the ambulance because she couldn't wake him. When he did wake he was very violent, so I believe that the ambulance called the police. Because Will is ex-military the police took the situation very seriously - he had knives etc. Will passed out again (maybe a few times) and when he finally woke up properly (he has no memory of the violent way he reacted) he was alone and surrounded by police so he freaked out and got a bit aggressive (vocally) which only made the police more concerned. The whole situation blew out of control I think and when Will finally came out (voluntarily and peacefully) the police used riot shields, the dog and a tazer. I also wondered why they had the dog there when I first went out to find out what was going on.

Everything in this thread is mere speculation. The reason for Police being there, the reason to have a K9 on standby, the level of threat, the nature of the job, the propensity for escalation, the level of risk. These are all things that no one on here has any clue about.

As for Police asking you to remove your dog, sounds like sound judgement to me. Something I would have done myself. It certainly reflects on the experience of the handler, it shows they are 'well' experienced.

If you've ever seen an offender taken down or bitten by a Police dog like I have, you'll understand why the dog handler would want an ideal environment to work in.

From your story I don’t see how police overreacted… your neighbor sounds like a moron though...

Your neighbor was violent towards paramedics so police were called and rightly so. Paramedics have a hard enough job without people making it any more difficult for them with acting intimidating and violent.

Police don’t want to use excessive force to control any situation so having varying tools with different capabilities is smart tactics especially in a siege environment.

Everyone got out of there alive so it was a good outcome.

From your story I don’t see how police overreacted… your neighbor sounds like a moron though...

Your neighbor was violent towards paramedics so police were called and rightly so. Paramedics have a hard enough job without people making it any more difficult for them with acting intimidating and violent.

Police don’t want to use excessive force to control any situation so having varying tools with different capabilities is smart tactics especially in a siege environment.

Everyone got out of there alive so it was a good outcome.

I understand the reason for the police being called, yes Will was violent (I don't know how, I wasn't told) when he woke up (probably due to the alcohol) so there was a danger and I'm not judging anyone for calling the police but I do believe that the police overreacted. I've lived next to these people for almost a year and have never known Will to be dangerous towards others in any way. His fiancee was outside and the police would not let Will know she was there, so he freaked out - honestly he's woken up from being unconscious to find that he is surrounded by police and has no idea whats happened, I would probably freak out too.

I also believe that the police did use excessive force, there was really no reason from them to use the dog on Will after he came out of the house peacefully and calmly... but they did.

Everything in this thread is mere speculation. The reason for Police being there, the reason to have a K9 on standby, the level of threat, the nature of the job, the propensity for escalation, the level of risk. These are all things that no one on here has any clue about.

As for Police asking you to remove your dog, sounds like sound judgement to me. Something I would have done myself. It certainly reflects on the experience of the handler, it shows they are 'well' experienced.

If you've ever seen an offender taken down or bitten by a Police dog like I have, you'll understand why the dog handler would want an ideal environment to work in.

This thread was never meant to be about whether the police were overreacting or what was going on with my neighbour... I merely asked why a police dog handler would ask for a civilian dog to be locked away so his dog could "focus". People have given me all kinds of great information which I understand. I can understand that a dog handler would want to create an ideal environment to work his dog in, I certainly would too if I were in such a situation. Like I said I just wanted to know why his dog would need my dog to be out of sight so it could focus... that has now been answered. Thank you.

Even if the dog was focused and wouldn't go for your dog it still sounds logical to remove other dogs from the scenario if possible.

Thanks, I think everyone has already told me this! :thumbsup:

Ok Hypothetical question here: (note I honestly don't know a great deal about police dogs and have not in anyway suggested that they are not trained properly)

If there is a situation where a police dog is required to work (use your imagination) but there is a dog in a yard that is causing a problem, say barking at the fence and generally being a nuisance and no one is home. Would the police do something about the dog for it's and their dog's safety? Like enter the yard and restrain the dog or something similar? I really am just curious about what happens in these situations!

I understand the reason for the police being called, yes Will was violent (I don't know how, I wasn't told) when he woke up (probably due to the alcohol) so there was a danger and I'm not judging anyone for calling the police but I do believe that the police overreacted. I've lived next to these people for almost a year and have never known Will to be dangerous towards others in any way. His fiancee was outside and the police would not let Will know she was there, so he freaked out - honestly he's woken up from being unconscious to find that he is surrounded by police and has no idea whats happened, I would probably freak out too.

You live next door to the Will, the Police dont. They dont know that he "isn't dangerous"... you dont either for that matter. People can snap under situations like that...that's why we call the police, unlike us they have been trained to deal with these situations. So they arent going to take any risks and rightly so.

If the situation had gone the other way then they would have been slammed for not taking it seriously well enough.

So they should have asked you to put your dog away (why was it out in the first place?), if your dog had decided to attack theirs then of course that would be a distraction to even the best trained police dog. Again, they dont know your dog so they dont know what it is capable of.

Some people are never going to be happy no matter what the police do or how they react. It is either not enough or too much, personally i would rather they overestimate a situation than underestimate.

If there is a situation where a police dog is required to work (use your imagination) but there is a dog in a yard that is causing a problem, say barking at the fence and generally being a nuisance and no one is home. Would the police do something about the dog for it's and their dog's safety? Like enter the yard and restrain the dog or something similar? I really am just curious about what happens in these situations!

If the dog is locked up? Behind a fence? The police dog will ignore it. They are trained to overcome very high distractions.

S: About the dog thing, I fully understand a handler asking for a dog to be put away for its and their dogs own safety. My main thoughts were more in regards to the dog being quite distracted by my dog, who was lying quietly in my yard for most of this. It wasn't until they moved the dog closer to my front gate that my dog started getting more excited and that was more from the police dog trying to go into my yard (gate was closed).

K9: who knows, you will never know... The job is more than hard enough, for the dog & the people... I am sure it is a SOP (standard operating proceedure) to clear the area of dogs & people who are not needed...

Police are always under intense scrutiny, when you line up for something like this its best to give yourself the best chance of success..

S: The police dog was on lead but he seemed young and pretty interested in what was going on around. But he did the job just fine when it came to the crunch.

K9: pretty normal, until given a command to follow, it is just a normal dog...

S: If there is a situation where a police dog is required to work (use your imagination) but there is a dog in a yard that is causing a problem, say barking at the fence and generally being a nuisance and no one is home. Would the police do something about the dog for it's and their dog's safety? Like enter the yard and restrain the dog or something similar? I really am just curious about what happens in these situations!

K9: It would be down to the officer in charge at the time... I cant see them deploying the dog past or through another though...

At any moment in time, there are an infinate amount of possibilities.

Edited by mutchumbo

I also believe that the police did use excessive force, there was really no reason from them to use the dog on Will after he came out of the house peacefully and calmly... but they did.

There would have been a reason otherwise the dog wouldnt have been deployed...

:angel: Rachelle and K9 Force.

Thanks for your responses guys... I feel that much more educated and small now :thumbsup: . I must appologise that my question and statements have come across speculative and suggestive, I think that a lot of what I have written could have been written and explained better which might explain some of the responses I've received. I honestly was only ever curious so I figured that the brilliant and diverse minds on DOL would be able to give me some insight into a world that I really don't know a lot about, which you have and then some... thanks for highlighting how little I know and making me feel crap about it.

Thanks for your responses guys... I feel that much more educated and small now ... thanks for highlighting how little I know and making me feel crap about it.

I don't think it was intended to make you feel that way, Seita.

Thanks for your responses guys... I feel that much more educated and small now :) . I must appologise that my question and statements have come across speculative and suggestive, I think that a lot of what I have written could have been written and explained better which might explain some of the responses I've received. I honestly was only ever curious so I figured that the brilliant and diverse minds on DOL would be able to give me some insight into a world that I really don't know a lot about, which you have and then some... thanks for highlighting how little I know and making me feel crap about it.

I dont think anyone was trying to make you feel "crap" and "small"

This thread was not just about the police dogs but you were also giving opinions on how you felt the police over handled the situation. You might be a neighbor to this man, but you do not know what someone is capable of when under extreme pressure, someone trying to kill themselves is obviously slightly unstable and therefore unpredictable. You can not have expected the police do anything but take this situation seriously.

I honestly was only ever curious so I figured that the brilliant and diverse minds on DOL would be able to give me some insight into a world that I really don't know a lot about

It really did not sound like mere curiosity on your behalf going from your below statements, it sounded like you were slamming the police for doing their job properly and thoroughly.

I do believe that the police overreacted.
The cops overreacted big time which made Will (my neighbour) overreacted and the whole thing blew out of propotion in a BIG way!
then this cop tells me to lock my dog up so his can focus... I almost said something about the level of training!
Shouldn't a police dog be trained to focus in all situations, isn't that the point?

From these remarks it does not seem that you were merely after further understanding, it sounds like you made quite a few false judgements about something you know little about. Your posts clearly said that the police did not do their job properly. Your posts also clearly said that their dogs were poorly trained, to the point where you almost said something to the police about it...

The problem is, if things had turned sour, then you would be complaining that the police did not take the matter seriously enough.

I am glad you have learnt something tho, that is what threads are all about.

thanks rachelle, like I said some of what I've written could have been written better. I have expressed opinions from my point of view, which is from someone who was at the incident and saw the whole thing pan out. I didn't want this thread to go into what was happening which is why I didn't give a lot of information about it to begin with. I really just wanted to know why the police would need my dog away so theirs could focus. The fact that it might have been for their own (and my dog's) safety did not cross my mind until someone mentioned it on here. I feel that some people have jumped to conclusions and I guess I probably have too.

I would not want my dog out there anyway confused.gif why would you?
So they should have asked you to put your dog away (why was it out in the first place?)

It's not like I put my dog out on purpose, when my dog was out the whole thing was just starting and I came out to find out what was going on... I didn't feel the need to post all this information so I left it, but people assume things.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the level of training the QLD Police (GD) Dog Squad receives.
I never said there was, I did say that I almost made a comment about the level of training but I did not say that was a comment about how bad or good it was... for all the poster knows it may have been a comment or question in regards to why my dog would need to be away so his could focus - which you might notice was also my original question:
the police asked me to lock my dog up so they could get one of their dogs to focus. Shouldn't a police dog be trained to focus in all situations, isn't that the point?

I only added the whole story of what happened and thus my opinions because I was asked:

Isn't that what opinions are about? And isn't that what these types of threads are for so people who have no clue (ie me) can learn a little more?
Some people are never going to be happy no matter what the police do or how they react. It is either not enough or too much, personally i would rather they overestimate a situation than underestimate.
Again with the jumping to conclusions, I never said that what the police did or didn't do was enough or not enough, I do feel the situation blew out of proportion a bit but hey am I not entitled to my opinion just like everyone else?

Continued because apparently there is a limit to how many quotes you can include in a post:

There would have been a reason otherwise the dog wouldnt have been deployed...
I'm sure there was, just from my perspective (out of the bedroom window about 5 metres from the scene and later with information from Will's fiancee and their other neighbour) it seemed a bit over the top but hey that's just my personal opinion.
I don't think it was intended to make you feel that way, Seita.
Thanks erny, I'm sure it wasn't and I know for next time that I need to provide more information so people do not jump to conclusions and I don't have to end up defending myself like this.
it sounds like you made quite a few false judgements about something you know little about. Your posts clearly said that the police did not do their job properly. Your posts also clearly said that their dogs were poorly trained, to the point where you almost said something to the police about it...
Note how most of those statements begin with "I believe" hence personal opinion. Not once in any of my posts have I suggested that the police dog was poorly trained... I made a comment about the level of training and that was in regards to distractions (being my dog)... again with the assumptions. Thanks rachelle, I will remember next time to give enough information so that I do not end up defending myself.
I am glad you have learnt something tho, that is what threads are all about.
Oh yes, I've not only learnt a bit more about police dogs etc but also to keep my mouth shut and my opinions to myself or else they seem to come back to burn me! Thanks for the enlightenment. Over and out!

Thanks for your responses guys... I feel that much more educated and small now rolleyes.gif . I must appologise that my question and statements have come across speculative and suggestive, I think that a lot of what I have written could have been written and explained better which might explain some of the responses I've received. I honestly was only ever curious so I figured that the brilliant and diverse minds on DOL would be able to give me some insight into a world that I really don't know a lot about, which you have and then some... thanks for highlighting how little I know and making me feel crap about it.

as Erny has said. I dont think anyones posts were ment to be insulting towards you.

• 4 weeks later...
Interesting... I have never had a problem training with Chirpie Palmer who runs the QLD Police Dog Squad or any of his boys in the 10 years I have known and worked with him....

Chirpie? Do you mean Steve Palmer?

I think it is like any organisation - no one is an instant expert and we all have to start somewhere. Its certainly not easy to get into the dog squad - and you wouldnt stay long if you were not 100% a doggy person through and through. Its a hard job as you are usually 1st on scene and as a result would have to have a huge amount of faith in your K9

But if you want to talk about Dog Handlers - what about ex RAFF dog handlers - they are like ARS*HOLES - they are everywhere!! Have you noticed? So many Ex RAFF dog hanlders now set up as dog trainers. When you ask around - it is usually that they 'passed by' the dog section once - or one day a fellow officer asked them to hold his dog - suddenly he is an EX RAFF dog handler! ROFLMAO

Shame for those RAFF handlers (and EX handlers) who really are trained and experienced!

Also with the seige situation - I think they may have been more worried about your dogs response to the Police K9 rather than the other way round - if your dog took offence to the other dog being on his turf, a high drive dog focused on a badie is not going to take being charged by another dog very well. These situations can go bad in a heartbeat - all those involved need to be able to focus fully on what is happening at the incident site - not be distracted by what is going on in the perimeter. Working in Comms when we send the dog unit to an incident - I often wonder at the situations they must encounter jumping unannounced into back yards chasing badies!! Having Malinois myself - I know they wouldnt take too kindly to it - could get ugly. A friend had her dogs (Belgians) capsicum sprayed one day by two officers looking for someone. She was very offended but I explained better that than a bullet!

Try not to generlise all RAFF handlers, I have a family member who is one and his dogs are very will trained. When a member of our family was seriously hurt he spent hours training a dog to be a campion and protector. I was only very young at the time but I could do anything to that dog without a problem