Different Finish?

Hi,

I have always trained my dogs to finish after a Sit in front of my by going close to my right leg, behins me and sitting in Heel position. Another trainer whom I respect has suggested that I try what he thinks is called *Flick* Finish where after the Sit In Front the dog moves to my left and moves in a small, tight circle into the correct heel position.

What does anyone else think of this? I have no experience training it nor have I seen it before

It's also called the euro, continental or military flip... if you look at any of the videos of crufts obedience dogs then they will be doing this style of flip. It looks very flash if done right but if your dog can't flip properly the wrap around the back looks tidier.

I do the left finish. I think it looks better and stops the dog from gawking when walking behind you.

Easy to teach with a piece of food.

I use the word "left" and with the food in your left hand, wrap it around your left leg, right behind your bum, and then when your dog has its nose near your left bum cheek, take the food back towards the front also tight to your left leg then tell the dog to sit.

One of mine knows both, he gets to do the flip finish if he did a good job, he does the whole leaping up and turning at the same time so its more exciting for him to do.

Eventually i will use it in the ring but for now its the 'proper' finish :laugh:

Yup he is a Toller.

I did start out like BC wrote, but he made up his own game along the way and eventually started just jumping and turning rather then just walking. I did try and get him a little excited before the return so he was more then likely going to be springy.

So i didnt really train it, so cant help you there, my dog trained himself to do a more fun finish :laugh:

I do the flip finish with my younger Vizsla because he likes to have a gawk on the finish if he goes around the back. Both the Vizslas know both finishes and I mix it up in training with the older guy to try and stop any anticipation, he does not get a very straight sit on the flip so I use the behind one in competition.

Interestingly my young GSP has taught himself a flip finish. I have done some heel work with him, mainly in our retrieving training work. He knows heel position is on the left etc. so when he's in front and I say heel he flips around :laugh:

Hi Brooke

The only reason that I would bother changing finishes would be if I had problems with a crooked sit

etc.

Some dogs find lining themselves up easier with the flip, some with the other way, otherwise, dont bother trying to fix something that ain't broke. :laugh:

The only reason that I would bother changing finishes would be if I had problems with a crooked sit

etc.

Some dogs find lining themselves up easier with the flip, some with the other way, otherwise, dont bother trying to fix something that ain't broke. :laugh:

I don't think of it as fixing something. It is something new to teach.

If you are not teaching anything at the moment then why not give it a go? If you keep the signals and commands distinct there should be no confusion.

Yup he is a Toller.

I did start out like BC wrote, but he made up his own game along the way and eventually started just jumping and turning rather then just walking. I did try and get him a little excited before the return so he was more then likely going to be springy.

So i didnt really train it, so cant help you there, my dog trained himself to do a more fun finish :laugh:

:laugh: Cooper gets a little leap in the air happening sometimes. I actually like it, but only when he lands in the right position :laugh: Working on that though.

He was also so bit of a gawker on the other finish, which he will still happily do, but the flip works better with Cooper.

Some dogs hoever, do a brilliant right finish, so it's all trial and error and working out what is better for your dog.

I think it is a great idea to teach both. If your dog is a little crooked on the front - having a left and right finish that your dog knows and understands can give you a better chance at a straighter finish.

It is also a great way to prevent any anticipation which may happen!

I use both - with my boy i'm more likely to do the one around me (he finishes straighter, and it gee's him up!)

with my girl - I tend to use the flip - she looooves it :laugh:

Like FHR, my two older GSPs have taught themselves the flip finish doing retrieving work. I believe it's because it's the quickest way to get to heel and out to do another retrieve :laugh: Will be interesting to see if the pup does the same thing. Maybe it's a GSP thing. I was so happy when the rule changed so that we could use the flip finish in obedience as my old girl was very slow at going around behind me and would inevitably sit crooked. To polish the flip finish for obedience work I simply swung a piece of food backwards in my left hand and then forward and up to get the dog to turn and sit.

Interesting reading this thread as a flip finish to me is when they leap up and flip themselves into the air turning mid air to get into the heel position. The flip finishes described here are what I call swing finishes.

Yep, I think the same.

When Cooper jumps and swivels into position while in the air I call a flip, and if he just walks to the left of me I just call a left finish.

Depending on how enthusiastic he is on the day, as to what he will do, but he always goes to the left.

Very interesting, Rebanne, that you can interpret something that is not even written!!! I do know the difference between a swing and a flip finish - it's all in the way you move your arm to teach them and the height at which you move your arm. You must be a lot more clever than me as you can define without actually seeing the move.

My dogs are taught both finishes. I usually use the flip finish with Kiz cause when she goes behind me she tends to gawk and also cause she likes the flip and looks better doing it. However with Narmi we do the other finish cause she's not very graceful (poor love) and she looks all gumby doing the flip finish :rofl:

I also do the flip finish as I find that easier to get a straight sit. It also helps with the left about turn for the dog to move its rear end. To get the leap, which I think is supposed to happen as Rebanne said, I stick my left leg out at an angle so the dog has to jump over it when I am teaching my dog. I find this more motivating than the go-around finish.