Blood In Stools

Loraine

My son took me to the eye hospital today, leaving Zedley at home. Well the usually very clean dog left me a package on the green lounge rug :rofl: Then on the new biege carpet I noticed a small pile of blood, and another in the hallway. I have made an appointment with the vet, and spoken to tjhe McDowell vet in Sydney as Zedley is on herbal treatment, and my vet needs to know what Zed's is eating. His stool is normal, formed well, no slippery stuff around it. He is on an elimination diet of raw goat meat, raw carrots and rice pasta. The carpets, well I can clean them, but I am worried about Zedley. Here are a couple of pics of the blood, seems like a lot to me.

Blook1lounge.jpg

Blood1hall.jpg

My boy had this when he was a puppy several times. He was diagnosed as having an allergy to chicken not long after that...

it might be food related although it seems you are already doing an elimination diet for food allergies?

Perhaps he is not reacting well to the goat meat...

Spartan is allergic to chicken but also has low tolerance to many other meats.

Best of luck getting Zedley treated..

OK we went to the vet! They did not give a definitive diagnosis, but think it may be related to diet (or at worst IBS) so I am putting him on a bland diet, he has anitbiotics and some pills to help his gut. Those plops of pure red blood were very scary.

Hi Loraine has Zedley had a bone in the last 48 hours? My boy has medically diagnosed ibd (through barium swallow, endoscopy and colonoscopy), I have seen the same thing from him but far worse, its very scary :eek: Did the vet put Zedley on metrogyl and if so what dose?

Do you worm him regularly? Whipworm will cause blood and mucus because they badly irritate the intestinal lining, usually the blood will appear at the very end of the last stool. I'm sure that you do worm your dog, but it's just a suggestion.

Hi Loraine has Zedley had a bone in the last 48 hours? My boy has medically diagnosed ibd (through barium swallow, endoscopy and colonoscopy), I have seen the same thing from him but far worse, its very scary :rofl: Did the vet put Zedley on metrogyl and if so what dose?

Zedley has a chicken wing tip after his morning meds, he does chew them well, but I guess there is always the chance of a bit of sharp bone going all the way thru :rofl: He has been given Carafate 3 times a day, and Noroclav twice a day (that is teh anitbiotic). Miranda he does get wormed, but only when I've had foster dogs coming in (bad Mummy, but no more fosters for a while anyway) I may need to do him on a more regular basis. Thanks for the heads up. Between his meds and mine this place is like a pharmacy :confused: