10mth Old Shiba Inu Nibbling On My Legs?

gugububz

I am new to this forum as we just took in a 10mth old what we think is a Shiba Inu (see pic)

Photo-02761.jpg

His previous owner was apparently moving and was going to take him to a shelter so BIL rang and told us about him so we decided to take him in.

He seems to be a great dog! great with the kids and hasnt pee'ed or pooped in the house at all. He sleeps in our room at night and is again great. but theres 2 things he does, the first is pulls clothes off the clothes line :angel: and since yesterday (we got him monday night) when i let him inside he walks around me all excited and sort of nibbles on my pants/leg, deffinatly not a bite. I am just wondering what it means him doing these things?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Luv Nikki

Lucky for you that he's not actually biting, I get that when I walk but my puppy actually bites...

The trainer at puppy school suggested always carrying a toy with you when you're walking and then use that to distract his attention from your legs. It's not very practical, and it doesn't work for me, but you could give it a try!

Oh wow, he is gorgeous!!!Sounds like he may just need to be worn out. He's a pup, constant supervision and just keeping everything out of his way until he's older will help. In our family, if something gets destroyed, it's the humans fault for leaving it in the way. As for the nibbling, sounds like a 'play', excitement thing. A loud ARGH, and maybe just stop walking, then start again. and repeat until he gets the message. Just a thought, may or may not work. He is so lovely. Contact the shibu person on dol. Shibus may respond to certain types of training that shibu people know about. You are so lucky to have him!!!! :thumbsup: My latest pup is 9 months and has eaten furniture!!!! My girlfriend got home from work the other day to find her latest dane, 5 months, had eaten her timber bed :rolleyes:

Your shibus other behaviours sound fantastic. I think he's a real find!!!

Dogs go through this till they are about 2 - last year I fostered 2 dogs under 2. They destroyed all the plants in my yard (over a 5 month period till they found an understanding home where they continued to destroy stuff) plus books, etc etc in the house. This was in spite of me walking them for an hour each morning and another half an hour at night and them playing with each other continually during the day. They also pulled the washing off the line as well.

I work full time and cannot cope with this situation, it isn't right for the dogs or me so I only take oldies now.

Hi Gugububz,

First of all welcome to DOL There are many a shiba owner on here and you will find all the support you need to have a happy and non-destructive shiba. Cleanliness is is an eternal obsession for a shiba and you should never have a problem with his house manners. :)

When it comes to the overexcitement and grabbing your trousers I agree with the transference to a toy, my two actual transfer to each other and go into full play mode with Toby insisting on throwing his bed around. Your fella is at 10 months though equal to a teenager and walking is going to be essential preferably morning and night, not just to a doggy park but an actual ground covering walk, at the moment mine get 45 minutes in the morning and 45 - 1 hour at night and even through adolesence Spud (now 3) has never chewed anything but his toys.

Google Shiba Inu and you will find a wealth of info and as you are about to find out there are a little different then your more common breeds that you see out andabout.

http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/breeds/shibas.html is a good start and quite a good read. :)

If you have any breed specific questions feel free to ask....... and if you are in Sydney the Shiba owners quite often meet up to say hi. :laugh:

Edited by catzatsea

Thanks for that catzatsea. Would you say by looking at that pic of him that he deffinatly a shiba? Can i ask you what and how often you feed your shiba's as im not 100% sure on what im doing.

I am still flabergastered at how well he is with my kids, there crazy always running around screaming and laughing and he just walks around with them and even lays down and watches lol and lets my daughter hug him! So Cute!

edited to add: I am actully in Melbourne and moving to Bendigo in feb after bubs is born.

Edited by gugububz

Yes from that pic he looks definately like a shiba :D

Did his past owners happen to pass on any info about his breeders? You have some great Shiba Breeders your way that could be of great help and it Sounds like you are going to have fun figuring out all his facial expressions, Does he watch with an intense look about him as if he is watching a show being put on just for him??

You will need to start searching for a weakness (like his favourite food) and use this exclusively as a training treat, Spud has food allergies so I feed mine EaglePack Holistic with soft brisket bones twice or three times a week, I find they are good doers so get under the advised dosage and feed only once a day.

I also slap a Tablespoon of natural yoghurt on top every other day more for a treat then it's nutrional value with both boys hovering around the 10 kg mark and by the pic yours should just 9 - 10 mark. :)

Even though I dont have children they are great when out and about with the kids running up to get a pat, I always put them into a sit and they children really get in and snuggle right up to them and never had a problem with babies and prams whilst we have been chatting to the mum. :) Shiba's are clowns by nature and learn pretty quickly that children are there to give them some pat loving fun. :laugh: Spud has his trick of rolling on his back and wiggly about when we walk past a group of mums and young children as he knows then next step is lots and lots of pats and kisses. :) I should really not allow it but it is honestly a case of too damn cute that I just cant reprimand him for it. :o

You will also get a look when you are trying to do something that he doesnt approve of - hehe dont worry about it tell him to get over it and follow through on whatever you want him to do, shiba's are also grumblers dont misinterpret that as aggressiveness it is merely them complaining about whatever you are asking not disputing or challenging. :)

I am lucky both Spud and Toby dont grumble but mum's Astro does and I met a female today who is of them same breeder as Toby who was a grumbler also. :mad

Beautiful dogs.

I'd suggest a KONG chew toy stuffed with a bit of peanut butter (or other foods) for him to chew. Brisket bones are good as they can eat the whole lot.

The only real solution to the washing problem is to separate dog from washing. It's too rewarding for him to play with it. Some have rigged water bomb booby traps, but I'd just get a dog run or one of those large indoor clotheslines for sheets etc.

He sounds like a normal puppy, but it's never to early to train.

Your local obedience club will need to see his vaccination certificates, so it would be great if you can get as much info. as possible from previous owners.

Even if they've done zero vaccs, at least you'll know.