Banning Clients

dogcop

I will be barring clients that are breeding crosses for the $$$$$'s. As this is happening all to often I will be barring them. One person only gets the dog clipped and groomed to look good for when puppies ready for sale. The first time I did this dog its coat came off in one piece like shearing a sheep. What's your opinion i'd rather not make the buck in protest what about you ??

Chris

They'll only go elsewhere.... or !! they'll put the dog outback when people come as they wont get it clipped at all. I know it's maddening, but charge 'em extra and feel good that you're taking some scums money ;)

I tend to agree with Dru. I understand your feelings and wanting to protest, but it will have little effect on their uncaring owners and the poor dogs must be desperate for a clip. It's not the dogs' fault after all. Charge them more for your trouble.

You've got to feel sorry for the dogs/ pups ;) .

If it upsets you to see them in such poor condition etc., then ban them.

Quite right that they'll go elsewhere, though, and it's probably better that the poor dog gets a clip.

I would certainly charge more for a matted/ filthy dog as it's a lot more work for you.

If you feel bad, donate profit to a good rescue organisation.

I do what my standard of ethics tells me is right, so I wouldn't be grooming these dogs either.

Yes, they may well go elsewhere, but if no one ever stands up to be counted, people who do things which disagree with your own moral code never know.

Lots of people never realise this is wrong, because no one ever tells them. And if their friends are doing it, they are in a whole cult thing, where it is ok.

So, my advice is stand up for what you believe in, I would!! Sometimes it doesn't earn you any friends, but you sleep well at night, and who wants friends like that anyhow?? :rolleyes:

And for anyone reading who says "well, that's ok, it's not Jed losing money" - I get lots of enquiries for my stud boy from unregistered/puppy farmers/byb. He never sells his body to anyone, registered or unregistered, whose ethics I do not agree with. And he says he would rather eat bread and water than do the wild thing for the wrong reasons so he can eat bbq chicken!! (like hell!!)

Edited by Jed

Put a big sign up saying that breeders registered with the VCA get a discount on production of their VCA card - then charge the bybs like wounded bulls. Donate the extra to your local rescue group to help the dumped DDs.

Put a big sign up saying that breeders registered with the VCA get a discount on production of their VCA card - then charge the bybs like wounded bulls. Donate the extra to your local rescue group to help the dumped DDs.

Morgan: And the owners of pure bred dogs purchased from registered breeders who have dogs on the limited register and didn't change the ownership reg, where would that leave them? The owners of cross bred dogs? Where does it leave them?

Dogcop: good for you :thumbsup:

Many dog businesses give discounts to dog controlling body members, obedience and agility club members, even my local produce store gives a 10% discount for DogsNSW members on all dog food - don't see anyone complaining there.

Usually dog owning members of the public recognise that registered breeders usually have a lot more dogs to look after and do get the occasional discount.

Wouldn't matter anyway, because most registered breeders groom their own dogs :rofl:

As has been said.... If you ban them they will go elsewhere. I personally would take their money (and I would charge extra and donate the money). I am in the process of starting my own grooming business and although I have no intentions on giving registered breeders or ANKC members a discount i do intend on giving clients a discount on a case by case basis. For example if i was to charge $30 to groom a dog i may only $20 per dog if i had a client that wanted 3 dogs done.

All that being said, i admire what you are trying to do but I think it is more benefical for you to groom them and donate the money than to have these people go to another groomer who may not donate the money.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Ishka

It's not about charging more for matted dogs its about making money them not me out of breeding cross breeds. Its the dog that gets neglected inbetween litters. Then only gets the care it is long overdue for when money appears on the horizon (puppies). I also suppose I'm fortunate in the fact that there only two other places to go in town. The vets and the finished product that comes from there is a insult. the other is a boarding kennel just out of town that people bring their dogs to me for a bath etc before they take them home. So if they want to go to them no skin off my nose.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I think you should charge them "bas**rd tax" (a little bit or a lot on top) I call it. What you do with the extra is up to you. The pups need a bath and clip and you might as well be one shining light in their early existence. You never know the new owners might be lovely people who will bring the pup back and continue the good work for thier new furkid. Once the pups are born it is too late and we should all try and make their lives as happy as possible, as it is them who suffer not the byb.

If you really want to make a difference donate to foundations who actively campaign to rid us all of byb's, or better still you are in a perfect position to try and educate as many people as possible that this practice is unacceptable and encourage them to purchase their new family member from a registered breeder.

Anyway that's my two cents worth!