Kong Masters?

Rainey

Scud is worryingly calculated with his Kong, I thought dogs were supposed to roll around, chew and flick them every which way in order to get the goodies? Scud simply picks it up from the big hole and gives it a gentle knock on the floor, takes the contents and he's done! It's very amusing to watch. Does anyone elses puppy do this?

:rofl:

:):cheer::cheer: Benson picks his up and drops it several times until the stuff starts falling out - mind you I have gotten a little more crafty and use a combo of devon, cheese and his kibble and really squish it in now and freeze mince or natural yoghurt in another. He has 4 kongs now :rofl: as sometimes he hides one or two of them on me *grrr*! :D :eek:

I'd hate to be a Kong!! :):cheer: :cheer:

Pepper licks hers to death. :eek: She has a long tongue and although it doesn't reach to the bottom of the Kong, it hasn't stopped her trying!! If she can't get it out by licking then she'll bounce it around a bit. She goes through them pretty quickly too, but if I pack it in too well, she gives up! :rofl: My girl has no patience!! :D

Maybe pack the food in a little tighter with a bit more glue (lol) - yoghurt and rice mixed with other contents or freeze it. I know Kongs are great value and are meant to be indestructable. But our boy chewed his way through two of them so we switched tactics.

Try this - if you are handy or OH is get a length of PVC pipe and a cap (which you glue on) from the local hardware or plumbing supplies place, then get a screw on cap for the other end. Once you've done that you can bore a couple of holes in the length of the pipe - about the same size as a normal dog biscuit - regrdles off whether you use Supercoat or something else they are normally around the same diameter.

Half fill the pipe with biscuits, screw on the cap and roll it once or twice down the path etc and watch how quickly the dogs learn - roll the pipe, I get a biscuit. They love it and it keep sthem occupied.

Do they chew on the pipe, mercedes?

Kyzer never really liked his kongs, he was like Pepper, wingus, when I made them a challenge he would just get bored and go find something more interesting to do LOL

:rofl: maybe I'm a good Kong packer..it takes them ages!

smear the inside with peanut butter ior cream cheese/

wedge in a chicken wing.

fill spaces with cheese, soaked bikkies.whatever is moist.

plug large end with piece of meat or large hard bisciut.

freeze.

bet it takes longer than 15 minutes :rofl:

( I use the BIG black kongs )

Molly wont pay any attention to it now. I put the kibble in the other day with the smallest amount of peanut butter to seal it, and lo and behold - the dog does NOT like peanut butter. haha. I had to remove the peanut butter before she would even have a go at it. Prior to that, she was just spinning it on the floor, the kibble falls out pretty easily, no real effort required. Certainly not sitting there chewing it or trying to get out the contents.

I have the tiny midget Kong LOL there is no way I'd get a chicken wing in there :D

Persephone it seems like you have the Kong packing down to a fine art :D

My puppy only has small Kongs too! Perhaps I need to buy the next size up too.. Little bugger's gone and buried one of them and I haven't seen it in days!

Amypie - no they don't chew the pipe and they love it but if you have labs or big dogs they sometimes get excited and throw the pipe around a bit to get the dog nuts out. Then they only last about 2 years - well thats how long ours lasted.

Persephone We also use the big black Kongs but thats what our oldest boy chewed up - we were guaranteed he wouldnt damage it after he had already chewed up the next size down. I gave him his Kong and went to work, came home from school and here is the Kong laying on the back step - missing its bottom two rows.

Amazing really because he's not a destructive dog and its the only thing he's ever chewed up.

Love Persephone's recipe - must try it.

Yeah, I only have a midget kong too. Definitely wouldn't fit Persephone's recipe in there! One diced up chicken wing TIP, plugged with a little cream cheese or peanut butter is about all I can manage. :rofl:

Amypie, must be the terrier in Kyzer and Pepper, everything has to happen NOW, not ten minutes later!! :)

The pipe idea is a good one, but wouldn't work here..everything is red sand..and it would not roll much and/or fill up with sand!! :rofl:

I make ice-blocks for the youngsters..

use empty butter/marge conatiners as moulds.Spray inside them with oil

into each, drop a chicken wing, about a dozen bits of kibble, a couple slices of apple, a few bits of liver treats and some cut-up bacon rind.

make up some low-salt stock... preferably from home-boiled chicken.

pour into moulds til just over 3/4 full.

put lids on and freeze

When serving..run the moulds under a hot tap for a few seconds to loosen the iceblock .

place on grass or concrete..or in a large bowl.

Takes the dogs ages to lick it all up, and they get surprises along the way, as some things are on the bottom, some on the top...

:)

Edited by persephone

What a great combination persephone, we have tried frozen blocks and usually freeze bits of meat in a soup mix.

Will certainly try your recipe. Although for our bigger dogs we have used ice cream containers but for the Pharaoh hound the margarine containers would be great. :thumbsup:

My poor dog must get so bored. I don't even know what a kong looks like, plus I would not have thought of making ice blocks. I am so glad that I discovered dogz on line but I am sure my dog would be even more grateful. I am going to pet shop when next in town. I have large breed of dog, 5 month puppy what size kong should I get?