Royal Canin & Advance

AussieDog

Not sure if it's well known out there, but today i found out that Royal Canin and Advance are owned by the same company.

I was picking up my bag of Royal Canin Maxi when an Advance Lady came over and asked if she could help. After a lenghty discussion about all the other brands of foods i used and why i was buying RC she said - you do know that RC and Advance are owned by the same company? Only difference she said was Advance is made in Australia and RC in France. She then went on to say there are no chemicals etc in Advance and it's the same nutritional value as RC - except in this case the Advance came in a special 20kg bonus bag.

So i brought Advance and my dogs LOVE it!!

Did anyone else know this? Or am i slow?

Very interesting Jensta, am currently giving GSD 6month old Eukanuba but am getting too many/soft poos, heard it may have a heap of preservatives so Im switching to Advance as its Australian.... So far so good... Good to know its from the same manufacturer as RC as I was looking at that brand also....

Has anyone else heard of Eukanuba having lots of preservatives?

Edited by charli73

Not sure what it is in the eukanuba charli but I switched from eukanuba to RC on Thursday last week and over the space of 3 days my pup has gone from 4-6 soft poos a day to 1-3 nice firm ones that are even less smelly! I hope it works for you too if thats what you decide! Oh, and my pup also woofs down the RC on its own, I always used to have to disguise the eukanuba with mince etc. Nothing but positive changes!

Very interesting Jensta, am currently giving GSD 6month old Eukanuba but am getting too many/soft poos, heard it may have a heap of preservatives so Im switching to Advance as its Australian.... So far so good... Good to know its from the same manufacturer as RC as I was looking at that brand also....

Has anyone else heard of Eukanuba having lots of preservatives?

Have a look at this website and compare the ingredients from the label:

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

I think you will be surprised at how much stuff there is in the above brands that you do not want your dog eating. Compare all the labels from Eukanuba, Advance, Royal Canin and any other you like....

Then compare them to the ingredients of a super-premium food such as Eagle Pack, Nutro or Natural Balance....

My local Pet Store owner told me today that the company that owns RC and Advance also owns Pedigree Pal, Optimum and Whiskers to name a few. She said that the RC is made in France from higher quality ingredients than Advance which is made in Australia. My guys have just changed over to RC after trying several others including the ones mentioned above (except the Whiskers.. :confused:) and they love the RC. I am happy to feed the higher quality imported kibble and pay a bit extra...... anything for my babies :thumbsup:

My local Pet Store owner told me today that the company that owns RC and Advance also owns Pedigree Pal, Optimum and Whiskers to name a few. She said that the RC is made in France from higher quality ingredients than Advance which is made in Australia.

Good point, it is all well and good to say they are owned by the same company, but they are made with different ingrediants :thumbsup:

If you do a search of your kitchen cupboard, you will find that most grocery items are owned by Nestle`, but not all of the products are the same, it just means that one company is getting bigger and buying up all the other companies.

Good point, it is all well and good to say they are owned by the same company, but they are made with different ingrediants :o

If you do a search of your kitchen cupboard, you will find that most grocery items are owned by Nestle`, but not all of the products are the same, it just means that one company is getting bigger and buying up all the other companies.

And what isn't Nestle in the supermarket is Masterfoods (a subsidiary of Mars Inc), who bought out Royal Canin in 2002.

In terms of parent companies, does having a 'food' parent company like Nestle or Mars seem better than 'non-food' companies like Colgate-Palmolive (Hill's Science Diet) or Proctor & Gamble (Iams)? If you saw some packets of human biscuits on the supermarket shelf and one was from Nestle and the other from Colgate-Palmolive, which would you prefer to eat yourself?

Which company would be more into researching artificial chemicals and additives rather than researching natural ingredients, a chemical company like Proctor&Gamble who makes detergents or a food company like Nestle? Being big multinationals they're probably identical, but psychologically the food company gets the benefit of the doubt. Here's a picture of some of P&G's products - in amongst all the toothpaste, batteries, pain relievers and washing liquids you can see two food products - a packet of Pringles chips and a packet of IAMs dog food:

brand_crop.jpg

So food is not their major focus, they are very diversified. But then again, does it really make a difference if the company making your dog's food also makes drain cleaner? I'd be interested to hear peoples' opinions.

PS. Who owns Arnotts now? Did the takeover actually make any difference to the biscuits to how they were before? Personally, I just don't think they taste as good. Or maybe I'm just getting old and my own taste is changing and the biscuits are still exactly the same. Or maybe it's just psychological...

Not sure what it is in the eukanuba charli but I switched from eukanuba to RC on Thursday last week and over the space of 3 days my pup has gone from 4-6 soft poos a day to 1-3 nice firm ones that are even less smelly!

I'm curious to know if you did the switch straight away or found some Eukanuba to do a gradual change?

Interesting post anthony mazzeri - I had never thought of the bigger picture and who the head company was...... I'd personally choose the food company over the chemical.

As for Arnotts - didn't even know they were brought out. Unfortunately Tim Tams still taste as good as ever.

Isn't Royal Canin made in France & China? One goes to the USA & one comes to us. I remember earlier this year USA was having probs with RC but we weren't because we had different countries of origin. Anyone?

Isn't Royal Canin made in France & China? One goes to the USA & one comes to us. I remember earlier this year USA was having probs with RC but we weren't because we had different countries of origin. Anyone?

Yes i rang them when this was going all on and they told me the RC that is sold here is from France and there is nothing wrong with it.. Its only in the USA cos it was coming from china.. if i recall that right

:thumbsup: but......

As for Arnotts - didn't even know they were brought out. Unfortunately Tim Tams still taste as good as ever.

Maybe you aren't old enough to know the difference :( it was bought out by the Cambell's Soup Co. 10 years ago and the bickies have definately changed :o much smaller and they don't taste near as nice, Iced Vo-Vo's are no where near what they used to be :rolleyes: they went on to buy out a heap of other brands too Weston's for one, Wagon Wheels taste yuk now :laugh:

Not sure what it is in the eukanuba charli but I switched from eukanuba to RC on Thursday last week and over the space of 3 days my pup has gone from 4-6 soft poos a day to 1-3 nice firm ones that are even less smelly!

I'm curious to know if you did the switch straight away or found some Eukanuba to do a gradual change?

I did the gradual change...but just not as gradual as I should have. I did 2 servings with a 1/4 cup of each. That ended with one day of soft poops and from then on firmer poops than he's ever had! My Pup has a VERY sensitive stomach so I was quite nervous, as it so happens he has taken very well to RC. Anytime he tries something new, even the teeniest thing e.g. a new treat the size of my pinky nail, it upsets his stomach. The more he has the more upset it gets, so I have to take things quite slowly. The great thing with changing him to RC is he quite happily eats it on its own...the euk needed a small mince accompaniement to get him interested.

Maybe you aren't old enough to know the difference :( it was bought out by the Cambell's Soup Co. 10 years ago and the bickies have definately changed :rofl: much smaller and they don't taste near as nice, Iced Vo-Vo's are no where near what they used to be :rofl: they went on to buy out a heap of other brands too Weston's for one, Wagon Wheels taste yuk now :rofl:

:thumbsup: I had a wagon wheel the other day after not having had one for yeaaaars and was quite disappointed! I thought it was because they just weren't as exciting as they were when I was younger, but perhaps it's because they're not really as nice anymore. Seem to be alot smaller too, but again that could be perception...

I did the gradual change...but just not as gradual as I should have. I did 2 servings with a 1/4 cup of each. That ended with one day of soft poops and from then on firmer poops than he's ever had! My Pup has a VERY sensitive stomach so I was quite nervous, as it so happens he has taken very well to RC. Anytime he tries something new, even the teeniest thing e.g. a new treat the size of my pinky nail, it upsets his stomach. The more he has the more upset it gets, so I have to take things quite slowly. The great thing with changing him to RC is he quite happily eats it on its own...the euk needed a small mince accompaniement to get him interested.

That's good to hear. That's quicker than recommended and confirms what I've found myself that switching up to or between premium foods quickly does not actually cause the runs.

I'm firmly (excuse the pun) coming to the belief that if a dog is on a lower quality food, there is absolutely no reason to mix the poorer food with the premium food over seven days when changing over.