Analgesic/pain Relief

Katdogs

Stevie & Jodie both started limping after being at the park the other day. Big zoomies and a couple of crash-tackles happened, we were there for a lot longer than usual talking to people. Hopefully it's just muscle strain. Jodie seemed to be ok next morning, Stevie's still a bit hoppity on her front legs - we can't quite work out the site of the problem, seems to be high in her shoulders. I've started Joint Guard last night (should have started a year ago probably), and while I was at the shop I was looking for some sort of pain relief. If it was me I'd want paracetemol or voltaren, is there a dog equivalent readily available?

There was a type of gel to rub into the muscles but Stevie's got such loose skin and thick coat, it would be hard to get it to rub into the joints themselves. Also, even though it's a mixture of camphor and menthol, she'd lick it off for sure.

Any ideas on a bit of pain relief? If it doesn't settle down in a couple of days we'll take her to the vet for a check-up.

Mobic is a human drug that dogs can take (Metacam - Meloxicam).

I don't know if paracetamol or voltaren is suitable for dogs. They metabolise things completely differently.

At this stage just allow the pain of the injuries to slow them down. That's what nature intends! Sometimes giving them pain relief allows them to do more than they should be doing.

That was going to be my next question - how do I keep her busy without being too active? Lots of training I guess - heel, stay.

I think we'll have to go back to the park tonight for Jodie to play ball, we can't have a bored kelpie, but I'll keep Stevie on lead. I might let her travel in the front of the car rather than jumping up into the wagon, and definitely drive rather than walk the 20min to get there.

We've increased exercise in the last couple of weeks in order to get some weight off Stevie for the good of her joints (and it's working, she's down a couple of kilos), but maybe it's been too much. It's such a fine line between exercise and over-exercise for this girl. We've cut back her food too, she's only been eating as much as the kelpie for a few weeks but the weight was coming off so slowly, exercise seemed the best way.

Your vet should give you some advice. All the anti inflammatory drugs e.g. Voltaren can have serious side effects (e.g. bleeding stomach ulcers) so need to be given with food and given in the right doggy dosage. I'm not sure if paracetmol is OK for dogs. My vet's good and will suggest cheaper human meds, but only if suitable and safe.

If a dog needs drugs, they need rest.

Slower, controlled, short, on-lead walking might be OK- but watch your dog for pain- they can have a lot of pain without showing it much.

Chew toys, raw meaty bones (deduct off food rations) etc. and human company for entertainment.

Don't worry I wasn't going to give human type drugs (at least not without vet advice), just wondered if there was something doggy that I could give in the meantime. We're trying to rest her a bit, but she's 2 years old and has a kelpie and a kitten for company, so even if she's in pain it's hard to convince her not to be an idiot and jump around. I don't even know if she's in much pain, it's just she's walking a bit wonky on her front legs and taking a bit longer to drop or sit up, so maybe it will clear up in another day or so. If she's not perfect by Saturday morning, we'll go to the vet.

I'd really love to be able to get in touch with Stevie's 'breeder' to check on health/history of the parents - I know her name and address from a piece of paper that came with Stevie, but don't know if it was a one-off oops litter, or a serious BYB, or what, and she's not in the phone book.