Severely Swollen Ear

Ive rang the 2 vets, and a after hours emergency vet place in Hallam, 2 of 3 assured me it wasnt classed as a emergency so wait until tomorrow .... (1 local vet and the hallam after hours vet)

Tommorrow morning hes going in, (cant even book him in yet as they are closed) but they know hes coming.

I am totally stressed, Ive never seen anything like it in my life.... I feel like the worst pet owner right now

knowing he has to wait until tomorrow to get it fixed. Im just trying to keep him still as I can and to not shake

his head although he barely can anyhow, its just so swollen. They said because its just happened the blood will still be free flowing and draining it today will likely make it keep bleeding or something.

I was going to take him up there for his anual vacc's and a weigh in this week, that will have to wait now I think.

Dont think they can give the boosters when they are allreasy sick, and his eyes are weeping like mild conjunctavitis (sp?)

Perhaps it is all linked!

Sorry Im so stressed, putting him under scares me to death, hes my big baby. I feel sick to my stomach.

Hes got the most beautiful ears normally, I hope they dont damage them fixing it also.

At a guess, I'd say something has irritated his ear overnight and hes shook his head so hard hes broke blood capillaries.

Wont know for 100% till tomorrow,

I was going to take a picture but I want him to rest, the ear itself is so heavy hes head is tilted so while he lays sleeping I think I dont want to disturb him.

It is warm and clammy, the swelling is right into the corner of where the lobe skin meets his neck so may be a infection or something. Im not exadurating when I say it is sooooo swollen and full of blood, I can feel it all squishy when I touch it but still very firm.

I wont give him any breakfast in the morning, they can do whatever they need to get it sorted.

Personality wise he seems fine, dosent react when I touch it so may not be as sore as I think but these big dogs will put up with alot before they complain so I dont really know.

Sorry for rambelling

I will try to take a pic soon

My Min Pin girl Pebbles had the same thing, her ear blew up to a huge size and had to be opened to remove the dried blood clot. She ended up with an ear that drops at the tip but seeing her show days were finished my Vet didn't do any propping up. Her ear is a bit thicker through now but doesn't worry her. She was fine one day then the next this just gradually got bigger, she didn't have any knocks, etc. that I know of just a burst blood vessel.

We have had quite a few over the years(haematomas (SP).Its no big deal & it isnt harmful just annoys the dog.If left it will heal but leave the ear deformed so surgery is best & some are very low set in the ear canal.

They simply slice the ear & then sew either x ray film/mesh to the ear so it drains.What a few weeks remove the stuff & easy peasy.

If it isnt could be a grass seed,infection etc etc