Groomer And/or Bc People

Muttly

Every dog I clipped that wasn't meant to be clipped did grow back a really weird coat. Sort of fluffy and woolly, that was GSD, Goldies, BC, Chow.

I have a coat king. It mainly seems to strip the under coat out and dead hair.

If you trim up her belly hair, hair around the bum, feet, bottom bit of legs and do a bit of coat kinging I reckon you will be right.

We clip Bcs - usually on a #5 or #7 depending on the dogs coat but we also do a "speedy shed" which is a complete misnomer as it can take forever.

We blow out the coat using a pressure dryer and then bath and blow dry. We then brush/dematt. Next we use varying size mars coat kings to remove old shedding coat and thin out the undercoat. The difference is amazing. You get to keep the lovely coat but remove loads of hair and the dog looks better. We usually #10 the tummy and then neaten up the hocks etc with scissors. I reckon it is a great option if you don`t want to remove the coat.

Thank you so much everyone:) I did a couple of hours just with large slicker today (not all at once!), and did the most DAGGY clip around her feet to pasterns/hocks (?) rear legs. She has a light sprain from ball chasing on one of her front legs so left them alone. Wow, I should of photographed what came off. Still heaps to go. I brush her regularly but need to almost part her fur rythmically whilst brushing in its direction to get the undercoat if that makes sense. Her coat looks a bit shorter. Definitely going to buy a coat king thing this week, and hope that the shop will give me some pointers in not making all her legs look quite as silly :rofl:

Edited by Muttly

A normal old rake works pretty well too.

For the back legs sort of pull the longer hair out up to the hocks and scissor that off. The front legs trim the back of the leg up to about the dew claw area. For the feet poke between her toes and get all that long hair standing up and snip is off, trim around the bottom of the foot, turn the foot over and trim the hair the sticks up from the pads.

If you want to trim the feathers higher up then special thinning scissors work the best. If using normal scissors sort of hold the scissor vertical facing the back of the leg and snip that way. Rather than holding the scissors straight up and cutting the edge of the feathers too straight. Same with other feathering, cut with the scissors straight up rather than across the hair.

Hope that makes sense! Is hard to explain! Think about how the hair dresser does your fringe, they don't cut straight across but have the scissors pointing in the air and cut up into the hair. Gives a softer edge.

You also need to realise a Border Collie has a double coat for a reason it insulates the dog against the cold as well as the heat. I have found dogs with no undercoat are more effected by the heat then a dog with a correct double coat.

I have clipped one of my older dogs 12 years old because she doesn't like to be brush but the coat grew back a yucky brown colour and was curly and its stayed curly. Never again

I would never ever clip a border collie again, just get a stripping knife and strip most of the bulk out of the coat if you want a clipped dog go get yourself a short coated dog.

Tracey

You also need to realise a Border Collie has a double coat for a reason it insulates the dog against the cold as well as the heat. I have found dogs with no undercoat are more effected by the heat then a dog with a correct double coat.

I have clipped one of my older dogs 12 years old because she doesn't like to be brush but the coat grew back a yucky brown colour and was curly and its stayed curly. Never again

I would never ever clip a border collie again, just get a stripping knife and strip most of the bulk out of the coat if you want a clipped dog go get yourself a short coated dog.

Tracey

Couldn't of worded it better myself!!!!! :thanks:

Sue

And it isn't about wanting a short coated dog (I do also have one of them), it is about her being comfortable, she is predominantly black, it is very hot here, and she does not have a show coat, she is a big bear!

• 1 month later...

Well here she is, no clipping, just lots and lots of grooming and swimming in dam water :rolleyes: I think I just need to be more methodical about her grooming and get her into water more, as this is the shortest coat she has had this time of year. There is still a lot of her around hind legs and tail, but at least the coat on her body is shorter.

post-4653-1199496357_thumb.jpg

Edited by Muttly

Tracey

Couldn't of worded it better myself!!!!! :rolleyes:

Sue

And I couldn't agree more....

They have their design, don't try and fix what ain't broken, don't clip a BC!!!

Good job Muttly!

BTW I did just clip my old border collie! Her coat has gone really strange. The undercoat was just not coming out and she really suffered during the 40+ days we had. Even clipped to a couple of inches the dead coat isn't coming out with a rake, coat king or slicker brush! I have to pull it out with my fingers.

She looks bloody terrible! But no puffing and panting so I guess it did the trick.

If you are talking to me - because the coat wasn't coming out with the coat king. Or anything else for that matter. I have heard a few other people mention BC coats going weird when they get older. It had totally changed in texture and had gone very woolly and fluffy.