Is There An Aus Company That Makes Bite Developers, Sleeves, And Scent

ducky

ducky education is expensive.

and if you are serious about proper training of your dog you will need to part with lots of money.

A set of good DVD will cost you over $500, and that is after all just a film.

If you had a different breed Id tell youto go to the dogsport clubs, but you wont be eligible with your breed and no club that does the sport will take you.

And thats for the sport not real personal protection.

But hey - good luck.

Thanks Myszka, what dvds did you find informative?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In no particular order

Ivan Balabanov

Godfrey Dildey (sp)

some tracking dvd from the 70's - dont know by whom

choosing a puppy for bite work

Leerburg - raising a working puppy

some private stuff filmed with Jens Kollenberg (sp)

check leerburg site endless options there

Lablover - although she is into retrieving is the educational material queen :thumbsup:

BUT at the end of the day they are "movies"

Nothing beats a hands on training session, where a trainer shows you that your shoulders are not doing what they supposed to be doing.

that you hold the toy to high or to low, that your collar is too loose, that your voice is crap, that you present the sleeve innorectly to the dog and you are injuring the dogs neck potentially

Edited by myszka

1. Fair enough

2. These "Criminological Theories" wouldn't have come from books would they?? Written by the ones in the know?? unless all the lectuorers don't read???

3. As say a Protection Dog Trainer????

10 books with useful information is pretty good, reading 40 books with only 30% of useful information is still good too, guess you won't narrow down my library and tell me what books you found informative?

2. It consists of both Theory and Practical work...and I dont remember having "lectuorers" but anyway.

3. It would depend on how much the protection dog trainer was charging and how many clients they had :thumbsup: ...

you guessed right.

Oh I should clarify - I dont train my dogs in bite work, if that matters to you ducky.

But I like to watch others do it.

And will add that Id like to own everything on the Leerburg site, plus more.

Edited by myszka

Oh I should clarify - I dont train my dogs in bite work, if that matters to you ducky.

Everything she said :thumbsup:

Adding Building Drive Focus and Grip DVD :cool:

Protections not clean cut. I have 2 dogs doing it and it takes a lot of skill and knowing how to prevent problems down the track. Its all fine until you have 1 session that goes pear shaped or the dog finally *snaps* onto an idea and you have a big problem. a 6 month old dog and 2 year old entire male are 2 VERY different things (and can be scary)

go join a schutzhund club while your pup is younger. You cant compete but you will get the experience of trainers and other competitors

BTW OI JEFF ... know anyone that wants a 12 month old female working Malinois?

Edited by Nekhbet

I have made this analogy before so Ill make it again.

My husband is a great fan of Moto GP and Superbike racing. I must have watched hundereds of races with him on TV. and I love Valentino Rossi.

The number of bike books in my house exceedes the number of dog books. I have looked through all of them as well.

But not untill I actually got a motor bike and DONE A COURSE held by professionals I was not able to ride a bike. and I will never be a female version of Valentino Rossi, no matter how many more races Ill see on TV.

In no particular order

Ivan Balabanov

Godfrey Dildey (sp)

some tracking dvd from the 70's - dont know by whom

choosing a puppy for bite work

Leerburg - raising a working puppy

some private stuff filmed with Jens Kollenberg (sp)

check leerburg site endless options there

Lablover - although she is into retrieving is the educational material queen :rolleyes:

BUT at the end of the day they are "movies"

Nothing beats a hands on training session, where a trainer shows you that your shoulders are not doing what they supposed to be doing.

that you hold the toy to high or to low, that your collar is too loose, that your voice is crap, that you present the sleeve innorectly to the dog and you are injuring the dogs neck potentially

Thanks Myszka good points made in your last para.

Everything she said :laugh:

Adding Building Drive Focus and Grip DVD :o

Thanks Kavik

Protections not clean cut. I have 2 dogs doing it and it takes a lot of skill and knowing how to prevent problems down the track. Its all fine until you have 1 session that goes pear shaped or the dog finally *snaps* onto an idea and you have a big problem. a 6 month old dog and 2 year old entire male are 2 VERY different things (and can be scary)

go join a schutzhund club while your pup is younger. You cant compete but you will get the experience of trainers and other competitors

BTW OI JEFF ... know anyone that wants a 12 month old female working Malinois?

More good points Nekhbet

Jeff if you have nothing of benefit to add jump on the bandwagon on another thread and harass someone who likes there 'cavoodle'

Edited by ducky

[

call me a sceptic/moron if you will but I plan to be driving the Mercedes not seeing the guy who tells my dog to sit driving one with the number plate 'SUCKER'.

I can tell you that i feel like a "sucker" thinking about the $$$ i've handed over to "expert" dog trainers without success , though my dogs needs/training is totally different to yours...... ......... ( still waiting on my promised written full report from "The Pawman" from a month or so ago :shakehead: )

[

call me a sceptic/moron if you will but I plan to be driving the Mercedes not seeing the guy who tells my dog to sit driving one with the number plate 'SUCKER'.

I can tell you that i feel like a "sucker" thinking about the $$$ i've handed over to "expert" dog trainers without success , though my dogs needs/training is totally different to yours...... ......... ( still waiting on my promised written full report from "The Pawman" from a month or so ago :shakehead: )

If you want me to put a list of books on here that I thought provided some good instruction let me know, you learn for next time to get as much info and do as much by yourself until you can't figure out a specific point then get some pro help for only what you need.

As someone said to me earlier that most of these Gurus in dog training are self taught guess they didn't need to find a Guru to find their own way.

As someone said to me earlier that most of these Gurus in dog training are self taught guess they didn't need to find a Guru to find their own way.

:rolleyes: Wow! That's a huge blanket statement and generalisation! Got evidence to back that one up?

If it wasn't for the fact that the dogs are often the ones who pay the greater price for the mistakes, I'm quite happy for people to read books and "try it out" on their dogs. More work for the "gurus".

Edited by Erny

Jeff - :rolleyes:

Ducky - we're all here really very concerned at the reality that the mistakes you are going to make during the course of your dog's training in this chosen area is going to land some terrible problems. Which is the reason we are presently persisting with our posts.

Is it likely that you might change your mind and go the track of professional tuition, or will you be insisting on reading books and then just having a go?

Edited by Erny

I have seen the results of the training from a certain well known establishment who widely advertise their training of protection dogs - and the result is not pretty for the dogs :rolleyes:

I'm with Erny - PLLEASE get professional guidance if you decide to do any sort of bitework with your dog.

I can verify that a visit to K9 Force is well worth it, and also that the schutzhund people are very nice and approachable.

ducky - what breed have you got again? what level of obedience does your dog have? how did you achieve this level?

What does the breeder of your dog say about your chosen path of ""training"?

Gosh - I show my dog, I can tell you that I was standing outside the ring when the breeder of my older dog was showing him FOR 4.5 YEARS.

I was the master outside the ring handler. I knew absolutly everything about showing, ring craft, stacking the dogs etc.

Oh you should have seen me in the ring first 20 times with my puppy - I cant recall one thing that I have done right.

Imagine if this was training for personal protection!!!!!!!!!And I had the theoretical training for 4.5 years!!!

ducky - dog traning is like dentistry, would you be putting a crown on your own tooth? After you have read in the book how to do it? Oh and Im guessing you would have seen couple of videos on the subject ....

Ducky - we're all here really very concerned at the reality that the mistakes you are going to make during the course of your dog's training in this chosen area is going to land some terrible problems. Which is the reason we are presently persisting with our posts.

Exactly!!!

Edited by myszka

what's the use of coming to a forum on training and the advice is pay someone, why doesn't this training forum just have adverts with if you do it yourself your a moron.

Not learning anything here just getting baited.

There is a lot of advice given on the training forum for free, including oin this thread.

However, helping someone who is having difficulty getting their dog to drop is a little different to bitework . . . even with obedience problems, having someone actually observe the dog is invaluable.

I don't understand why some people are against professional advice? It is not a weakness to ask for help or seek advice. I have been to K9 Force with my dogs. If you have little understanding of an aspect of training, especially one that is potentially dangerous, it is foolish to do it with no help.

My opinion is that really the only part you can do without help is to start building drive. You really need a helper for the rest and professional evaluation of your dog's temperament,understanding of temperrament and drives, and know whether you have the right temperament for the training.