How To Get Puppy To Sleep In!

woof02

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas how to get an 11wo pup to sleep past 5.10am. We keep her up until 12.00 at night, not letting her nap through the evening, put her in the laundry with our older dog (who would sleep all day/night if possible) and every morning rain, hail or shine, just after 5am the barking to get out starts. We let her out and 5 minutes later she is barking at the back door and at that time of the morning you can't ignore her - the neighbours will go nuts!

We have blacked out the curtains, tried everything, stern no's, taken her out and then returned her to the laundry and the barking starts again. :(

Any more suggestions....

sorry but no 11 week old pup can hang on for 5 hrs +

'Dont give a late meal, remove water in the evening (not on warm/hot days) and get into the habit of going toilet before bed as well.

A pups bladder will wake it no matter how much exercise it gets the night before

Her dinner is at 6.30pm, she goes out for toileting every 1/2 hour from there on in, she has no water from 10pm onwards (unless its hot). Bed time is 12 after her last pee. If she would settle back into bed after getting up at 5 all would be well but she barks and barks and barks. It went on for 1/2 hour this morning before one of my boys got up and let her out, not happy as they had to put her out. Then the barking at the back door began again......

grab a large container, stick some cat litter (paper based) in it and one of her poos from the garden. This way she will get up, go toilet in there and let you sleep. Keep it far from her food/water and put a toy out for her to play with until you get up

Thank you very much Nekhbet, will give that a try with my beautiful girl!

I hate to say this but she knows now you will go to her!!! I know it is hard @ 5am with niebours but unless like me you want to continue getting up to her demands @ 5am ;dont do as i do do as i advise you nip it in the bud b4 the body clock is setcocker lover

So ..... if I understand you correctly, she wakes and you take her out to the toilet. Then you put her back, but then she won't settle - instead, she barks. Is that what you are saying? And because she's barking, you get up and put her out. But then she barks because she wants back in. Am I still on the right track?

Provided you are certain that her vocalisation is NOT because she needs to go out to the toilet, then ignore the barking. When she has an empty bladder, I'm assuming she's barking because she wants attention - YOURS. And she gets it. And so the behaviour (which is working just fine for her) is reinforced and therefore strengthened. So, take her out at 5am - let her toilet. Put her back to bed and be prepared to ignore the barking that ensues. Ear plugs are handy :(. Gradually work forwards in (say) half hour increments over time, until she's able to make it through to a more reasonable hour before she needs to go to the toilet.

She's only a baby so don't rush toilet training too much. There's only so much bladder control they are capable of, but it does increase as she develops. In the scheme of things, this doesn't take long, although it can feel like a life-time when you're the one with the broken sleep.

But I guess that's what Mums feel like too, when they have a new baby. :)

Edited by Erny

Every puppy I have ever had wakes up at 5am for a toilet break and a cuddle.

She will settle as she gets older.

Althought I must admit - my boy that I have now (6 years) has always been an earlier riser..........5.30am every morning! Except on cold winter mornings then he isn't moving for anything.

But he settles back down and goes back to bed - too bad I am wide awake by then!!!

I think the only recipe is patience. When I have Zoya at 8 1/2 weeks old, for almost 2 months i sleep and awake like a zombie. she slept in her crate at the beginning cause i am worried that she would chew the cables. she was restless and awake all the time. but she is 5 months old now and she sleeps very well. I feed her about 5.30 - 6.00 pm. Soon i turn the light off, she start snoozing next to my bed. I don't need to keep her in crate anymore unless when i am leaving to work.

good luck with your new baby... and remember to have fun and don't get too stress

:( everyone.

So ..... if I understand you correctly, she wakes and you take her out to the toilet. Then you put her back, but then she won't settle - instead, she barks. Is that what you are saying? And because she's barking, you get up and put her out. But then she barks because she wants back in. Am I still on the right track?

Erny - The above is exactly right, she does go to the toilet as soon as I let her out, that is the great part. Rather than wee in the laundry, she is letting me know she wants to go out. It is the settling back in that we are struggling with. What a dope - earplugs are exactly what we need - especially the son who sleeps in the room next to the laundry.

And I agree, I feel like I have turned my clock back 15 years and I am getting up to a baby again, however this time I have to get up 1.5hrs later and go to work & I can't have a nap when the puppy does!

Sounds like earplugs are the go and that it is something he will grow out of - fingers crossed. :)

A little pup i had a few years ago would wake then to go out side for a wee , i would leave the back door open and i would go back to bed and leave a couple of treaties for for to chew on and a couple of different toys and she would keep her self amused till it was time for me to actually drag myself up to start to the day. She was given access to the kitchen and laundry and out side. I think she may have given out a couple of whimpers the first couple of days then accepted the situation and just amused herself quietly .

:thumbsup:

How long have you had your puppy for?

My pup did the 5am wake ups for around the first two weeks we had him, after that two weeks he started getting up when we did.

Now at 8 months he doesn't even bat an eyelid or get up to go to the toilet at 7am when i'm up and getting ready for work! Hes super lazy.

Guest mckinlee
take her back to bed with you!

woohoo :thumbsup:

I was just going to say the same thing put her in bed with you.

Amerykus

love your signature

Been there done that Chloebear, try twins....one goes and then the other! Now 15 years later it's the puppy....

take her back to bed with you!

woohoo

:D A 10 kilo pup jumping around a bed at 5.00am in the morning - not likely! She likes to chew hair, dig and lick, as much as I like her kisses, this is not an option that lets me get that last hour of sleep I am so craving.

I am stocking up on a bone supply for her. This is what I will give her when she goes out in the morning - it might give me at least 3/4 hour more. Nice big bones, so she doesn't choke! :laugh:

Oh......to have the luxury of actually considering sleeping in past 5am! I have to get up at 5 every day to take the rat bags out for their walk/run/training before work. On the weekends I can usually leave them until about 6:30 before she gets a bit restless. then I take them out for toilet and let them back in to our room to lie on the floor. It has taken until about 16 months to get to this stage though.

I agree with a couple of the others - quite difficult to let a pup bark at 5am no matter what the reason or desired result and not be run out of town!

My pup was like that in the beginning. But I would just put him back in his crate, make sure the room was dark and ignore his cries. Now that he can hold on longer, he wants to sleep in, and its me struggling to get him to wake up and get out of bed to come to work!! :rolleyes:

He's only 15wks now too, only took him 2 weeks from when I bought him home before he didn't wake up in the night needing to go.

they do move round the clock just like our human babies

and its the pits waiting for them to do so

i used to get up all through the winter to toilet my pups ...at any hour they stirred

and its paying off

they wake much later ...provided i have toileted them round midnight they can hold on til 7 on the weekends

then i let them out

one goes back in the laundry for futher sleep if i need it on a sunday ..another comes back upstairs with us ...another stays outside

every dog is different...i have different breeds and some are more people oriented and are miserable without the pack leader thats why they cry...others are the independent kind and are fine to be left alone for a bit

u cant win ..theyre all lovely in their own way and they all drive us nuts in their own lovely way lol

dont give up!

Well this morning I can report was a little different. Puppy woke at 5.00am and I had a great bone, one for each of the dogs. This kept the pup happy until 6.15am when the older dog buried his, stole the pups and barking began. So I bought them both inside, put the older one on my sons bed and the pup came into my room and after 15mins of exploring and snuffing and rolling fell asleep until 7.30am. I can live with this! Won't be a bone every morning but maybe the wee and then back to seperate rooms of the house - it may be the go. Have taken the bones away now and will re-use again tomorrow. I think Saturday and Sunday will be "Bone Days". Bone breath stinks too I must add!!