Why Is It So?

openarms

I just got my boy back from the grooming salon. I had him clipped right back for the summer and because he was getting a bit beyond shaggy. He looks lovely if not a little girly with his blue bows lol. Anyway, why is it that every time i have him groomed he comes home and drags his bum along the ground? He has been wormed and his anal glands have been emptied (or whatever the proper term is). Does anyone know why this happens?

post-8038-1195883605_thumb.jpg

I just got my boy back from the grooming salon. I had him clipped right back for the summer and because he was getting a bit beyond shaggy. He looks lovely if not a little girly with his blue bows lol. Anyway, why is it that every time i have him groomed he comes home and drags his bum along the ground? He has been wormed and his anal glands have been emptied (or whatever the proper term is). Does anyone know why this happens?

My guess would be a clipper rash. It is a combination of hot blades, irritation from clipping and sensitive skin. It seem that white or lighter colour dogs are more prone to it.

Cheers

Guest Amy Rose

Next time he gets done, ask the groomer not to shave his anus and see if that makes any difference. Some of the dogs we get in get severe clipper rash. Make sure the groomer is regularly checking the blades don't get too hot. Make sure he's not licking his groin too much as well, that's another place where the rash can flare up quite badly.

One of my friends took his cocker spaniel to the vet to get clipped off. She came back red all over. Not only had the vet used a #15 blade on her (why?), but she was burned! So straight back to a different vet to see if anything could be done about it. She now gets clipped by me. Never had an issue with her. :rofl:

They aren't necessarily rashed - sometimes its just prickly - put a little powder on and see if this helps. If you can see that the dog has clipper burn why not mention it to the groomer next time so that they can use a longer blade or shave with the hair rather than against.

I dont think it is clipper rash. Nearly all of the dogs I groom, run their bum on the ground after I have clipped them and prior to their bath. After their bath and dry they're fine, but some will still do it a little bit even when completely finished.

It feels different, and a little weird. They have gone from a hairy bum, to a shaved bum, and it could be a little prickly :coffee:

Just think of having a brazillian wax, same thing :happydance:

You will definately see clipper burn/rash, and the bum will be very red and irritated and there will be obvious discomfort from your dog for days.

I agree with BC. I stopped clipping bums a fair while ago and scissor them now, as clients didnt like the whole 'anus in your face' look. Scissored looks way better IMO but even then you have to be careful that where you've cut the hairs they dont prickle in to their anus.

I wouldnt change groomers based on that. It's very common. :coffee:

I actually wasn't expecting him to be clipped so short! It looks realy strange lol his tail is still full and he has this little puff ball on top of his head and a very, very short coat everywhere else. His coat looks and like a cornish rex cat's lol.