Dog Agression

KatLek

My two girls had a nasty fight on the eve of my birthday. That resulted in stitched and a few large open wounds and two dogs that are afraid to be in close proximity with each other.

the first thing i did after rushing them to the vets is to contact an animal behaviourist who is coming out to see them tomorrow morning.

It is going to be a long story to describe what happened. and I guess i am just too emotionally tired to go into that.

i couldn't sleep well these few nights. i cried and blamed myself that has happened. it felt like such a heavy load in my heart. i rescued them in hope to give them a better home, not to leave them with such physical and emotional scars.

if you have experienced that before, how did you cope with it?

Fights dont really bother me at all, however, if I catch them fighting they know they are in big big trouble and I will run out and stop them asap. Mine have had a couple of big fights resulting in vet visits and drainage tubes etc.

This is poor Vinnie who came off second best from both fights :laugh:

post-16211-1196403332_thumb.jpg

post-16211-1196403361_thumb.jpg

I just had to work out what the problem was, and now that it is sorted out, they are best of mates again and haven't had a fight since.

Scraps dont bother me. Not all people get along all the time, and I think of it like children fighting over something etc. They are always going to have little disagreements every now and then.

I just check for any wounds, if small clean them up myself and give antibiotics for a few days, but if bad I obviously go to the vets.

When they had a fight I would seperate for a couple of days to let them both settle.

Wait to see your behaviouralist as you need to find out what the problem is before you can solve anything, good luck :D

Edited by BC

I guess I am lucky. Zoe is dog aggressive towards strange dogs and a right b*tch, but I have never had a serious fight with injuries among my lot. Zoe tends to just use intimidation tactics, works on Diesel though he is twice her size! Interestingly, she doesn't try to intimidate Kaos. She is toy and food possessive with dogs (not people) so I feed them separately and keep an eye on them when playing fetch in the yard. Was throwing a toy for them yesterday, she will intimidate Diesel off going for it, so I have to hold her if I want Diesel to get it. Luckily she doesn't do it when I distribute treats.

if you have experienced that before, how did you cope with it?

I just accept it as a normal part of my dogs' behaviour.

I try to ensure only complimentary dogs run together, and am constantly montioring how they all are getting along.

Occassionally I get too relaxed in the status quo and 'forget a fundamental'

and make a stupid mistake causing problems between the dogs. (Like two days ago I can't believe I did something soooo dumb. But ironicially the more peacefully your dogs co-exist, the more comfortable you become and 'tis easy to forget... :laugh: )

But for the most part, I know which of my dogs can go where and with whom and can generally tell what they are about to do. One good thing to come from having contended with a few domestics and ongoing grieviances over the years, is that I am generally very good at pre-empting and preventing them and have no time for nonsense behaviour.

Really, once you get over your intial guilt, shock and scare, your new routine and perspective just becomes normal.

ETA:

My friends with their 'fur kid' lap dogs think I am too strict with my dogs, and don't undertsand because they have never had to deal with a serious dog fight and its aftermath.

(I won't let visitors eat in front of (or feed) one dog when their are dogs running together; a dog is only allowed inside if every other dog is out, no patting a dog unless there is no other dog around etc)

Better visitors go home with the idea that I'm crazy, than to leave traumatised :D

Edited by lilli

Wow Lilli- is that just because of your breed or do you think every multiple dog household should be like that? It sounds like it makes sense- just hard to enforce with some visitors (to our house I mean)

My friends with their 'fur kid' lap dogs think I am too strict with my dogs, and don't undertsand because they have never had to deal with a serious dog fight and its aftermath.

I totally agree lilli. I have rules and everyone who comes here must abide by them. Dog fights are not fun, and it takes measures by everyone in the household to prevent them.

Some certain people think I am cruel by crating my dogs when they're over, but hey, if it prevents fights I couldn't give 2 hoots what they think. Until they have been in that position themselves, they will not understand that what you are doing is best for your dogs.

Wow Lilli- is that just because of your breed or do you think every multiple dog household should be like that? It sounds like it makes sense- just hard to enforce with some visitors (to our house I mean)

Probably a bit of both.

I have three entire males and two females atm - being large terrotrial and pack orientated dogs - a potential slip-up by a visitor - such as letting two dogs into the house or feeding one while in front of the other - will result in a tense scenario and likely serious dog fight.

Most multiple dog households either buy two same sex pups (often females) or similar aged dogs together

or have one dog and then add the opposite sex later.

My two youngest males are close in age (and no surprise are worst enemies) but the biggest rift btween my dogs is between a 3yo bitch and a 10yo dog.

The same 10yo male runs with a 6 month old male - but the same 6 month old male cannot run with the 10month old male. Nor would I trust the 10month old male to run with the 4yo female.

A common misconception is that female dogs are less inclined to fight and that males and females are the best combination to have in a multi dog household, but I don't agree.

I think the only consideration should be temperament (dominant/rank driven) and personality of each dog (and then age), not their sex.

Also most people (visitors) think that if two dogs get along, then they will never fight. The dogs will never fight while everything is in order - but upset that balance (through distribution of food or perceived privilidges) - and order will be restored through some form of altercation.

I don't think every mutliple dog household needs to be as segregated as mine (breed(s) and number of dogs coming into play here), but I do think they need to understand why their dogs get along for 'now' and what can cause this to change.

:rofl:

Edited by lilli

but I do think they need to understand why their dogs get along for 'now' and what can cause this to change.

i agree with that.

Many people, including ourselves, cannot understand how dogs can get along for a long time and yet fight.

It is just a change in the pack order or a slack on our part being disciplined in enforcing our leadership.

we are currently working towards regaining our leadership in this "pack".

It just makes sense what you say Lilli. It just seems so hard to enforce with visitors especially older family members - aarggh! You tell and tell them- turn your back and bam- they just fed the dog from the table. So, now dog goes outside when eating. Great thoughts to ponder Lilli. Always like reading your posts.

Love your posts Lilli!

Wow. Im glad we only have two dogs. I dont think i could deal with group dynamics atm. I really agree with you about the sex of a dog being way down the list of importance of what can spark a fight. It really is all about temperament and rank.

Our two girl have the odd mexican standoff, and I try to difuse them, but its not always successful. It seems the kelpie is top dog most of the time, but she has this "thing" where I think she feels threatened if cornered, and starts to growl at the ridgie. That arcs the ridgie up, who is a total sh*tstirrer! If the ridgie is not distracted or removed from the situation then a spat is on the cards.

Funnily enough, since the ridgie has been on heat the kelpie is alot more tolerant, and freindly! Hormones perhaps? :thumbsup:

They certainly keep me on my toes, as they both like teasing and testing each other. But I dont have any problems when they are yarded together (touch wood!).

We had a bit of a dog fight at obedience training the other night, nothing hugely serious, but it sure put the wind up me! I thought I was gonna be sick! And my dog wasnt even involved!

RG

ETA shouldve mentioned too, our dogs have rules in the house too, not super strict but enough to keep them from thinking they run the joint. My visitors are usually pretty good with our rules, although kids are a bit hard to get through to!

Edited by RidgyGirl