Sore Paws

Guest Tiggy

Banjo's been chewing at his feet for the last week and their both very red and sticky in between the pads. The Vet said it looks like a contact allergy and gave him a cream to use for five days called ILIUM NEOCORT which is a antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, anaesthetic skin emollient cream. The Vet said it's usually seasonal. He's only seven months old so this is his first summer so I'm thinking there's a summer grass/weed he's reacting to. I know Staffords are prone to skin conditions. Well anyway my question was any recommendations for a natural product I could start using after the five days on the cream the Vet gave him.

I believe you can use the Neo Cort for 14 days, just check the label as it says it there.

Being a contact allergy you can't do alot if you can't remove the item that is causing the allergy. Checked your garden for wandering Dew and stinging nettles?

You could try booties or kids socks on the dog: http://www.topdogs.com.au/products/animals/boots/dogs.php

boosting the immune system with Zinc & Vit. C.

You could try a natural product such as: http://www.holisticanimalmedicines.com/gra...ld-allergy.html

I have only just read about this stuff - so not personally tried it - but I understand that people that have tried the shampoo and spray really recommend it! So maybe worth a go after the oitment that the vet gave you! Eqyss is the product name - not stocked by many places.

http://www.petsonthepark.com.au/category123_1.htm

I have only just read about this stuff - so not personally tried it - but I understand that people that have tried the shampoo and spray really recommend it! So maybe worth a go after the oitment that the vet gave you! Eqyss is the product name - not stocked by many places.

http://www.petsonthepark.com.au/category123_1.htm

I have been using the shampoo and I think it's pretty good. I have used the spray on sore paws too and I think it helped. Tiggy asked for a natural product though - I don't think Eqyss microtek fits that description. The label does however say that it neutralises contact allergies :rofl:

Banjo's been chewing at his feet for the last week and their both very red and sticky in between the pads. The Vet said it looks like a contact allergy and gave him a cream to use for five days called ILIUM NEOCORT which is a antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, anaesthetic skin emollient cream. The Vet said it's usually seasonal. He's only seven months old so this is his first summer so I'm thinking there's a summer grass/weed he's reacting to. I know Staffords are prone to skin conditions. Well anyway my question was any recommendations for a natural product I could start using after the five days on the cream the Vet gave him.

There are two herbal creams that come to mind. Calendula for the inflammation and Urtica Urens (nettle) to ease the itchiness.

Both are made by Martin & Pleasance and can be bought at any good health food shop.

Any allergenic plants around the garden? I'd do some investigating there, first.

You could experiment with confining him to a deck area etc. if you're out during the day? (provided there's enough shade?).

Fish oil tablets might be of use.

You could also experiment with his diet- add more raw foods, for example?

Riley gets this too. He's feet got bad about a week ok.

I've got some cream that I use, it starts with P. The vet gave it to me but I can't think of the name. I'll have a look when I get home. I find it works really well on Riley's paws.

Ollie gets the same thing when we walk at the park after they have weeded and fertilised.. We have always had great success with dipping his paws in a solution of 1/30 Malaseb and water - I believe the breakdown is now 1/50...

As soon as we notice it, we bath his paws and he is fine.

Jodie

As Godzilla has this problem all year round I contacted dogs in motion in Sydney and got him a pair of boots for his front paws and this works very well. If the back ones become itchy before I walk him in the morning I rubb the Malaseb into his paws and walk him when we come back I was it off.

We have a problem as we always seem to have dew on the grass and it is wet grass that causes the problem.