Allergic Reaction

mysticpaw

This has made for very interesting reading, my Shepherd Elka was due for her Vacc in October and I haven't had it done yet, she was 3 years old in September and had all her puppy vaccs and her booster at 2 years of age, so does that mean I should get her booster done in another 2 years time then?

My vet wanted to give my Tibbie pup his C5 vacc, Proheart vacc and microchip all in the one day, I decided to not get the Proheart done as I couldn't afford it at the time so the vet gave me some monthly heartworm to tide him over until he was 6 months old and said get the Proheart done then, I am glad now that I didn't get it done, he is 7 months now and I have bought him the monthly chewables and will stick with those. Also with his C5 vacc, the breeder said to give him the C3 and not to use a certain brand of Vacc, my vet only stocked this brand and rang the company who said it had only had a reaction with Pugs and she assured me that it was safe to use and she said she would keep Tashi in for the day after giving him the Vacc and gave him a Antihistamine first as a precaution, Tashi was fine and had no reaction. My vet does the C3 by it self and the "intranasal" Kennel cough, is this safer than the all in one Vacc? Or maybe is it better to just do the C3 and only have the Intranasal if they have to go into a kennels? Another interesting thing is that a Corgi breeder that I know was saying that there was a lot of Kennel Cough around just recently and that her vet (different one to who I use) was seeing a hell of a lot of cases, I asked my vet if she had seen any (she is in the same town as the other vet) and she hadn't seen any, she said she believes the "intranasal" works better than the all in once C5.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are Pro Heart montly tablets ok to give? This thread mentions the Pro Heart injection alot, so just wanted to check that the tablets are ok. I give this brand as they are about the only ones that make tablets these days, and my dog wont eat the chews!

I would not be using Proheart in any shape or form.Too many fatalities.go to www.dogsadversereactions.com and it is scary reading.

Both our Vet Clinics here have adopted the 3 yearly protocol for c3( not bad for rural Vets) and both also offer the newer, safer version of the intra-nasal kennel cough vaccine called"NovaShield".( they only have to put in one nostril, not both like the Bronchoshield)

I am pleased with that as I do not won't to over-vaccinate but still want my dogs covered.

I do C3 plus the NovaShield and for heartworm prevention and worm prevention I use Sentinel Spectrum but stretch it out to about 5 weeks between doses( have checked this and s fine to fo).