Allergic Reaction

mysticpaw

Hi

My girl Tikaani had an allergic reaction from either the C5 or the Pro heart injection this morning.

She went quite crazy and the vet described it as having tingling sensations.

Her breathing was really eratic.

She has had another shot and is home,but her breathing isn't back to normal yet.

Was wondering if anyone else has had a similar thing happen.

She is nearly four and has never had a problem before.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about your dog mysticpaw. I don't do C5's or heartworm injections and even if I did I certainly wouldn't give both at the same time, C3 as puppies and another at 16 months and that's it for my dogs. I give monthly heartworm preventatives.

Edited by Miranda

Hey MP I did a seach and found some of the old threads I was talking about. Have posted the links in the Sibe thread

Thanks PP I have been busily reading and printing yours and Wylie's links.

The vet I prefer wasn't there today I will make an appointment after reading all the info to discuss it with him.

I wasn't really concentrating at the time, but the guy this morning said next time she has it (the injection) we will give her the antidote as well. :laugh:

Will go back and read some more re the Moxidectin. Is that ingredient in the tablet form?

After reading other posts I am worried there may be a problem down the track.

Her breathing has returned to normal and she is asleep in air conditioned comfort.

Please ensure this adverse reaction is reported, as they never are, and so people happily continue jabbing their pets not knowing the dangers...... :o

Proheart is not supposed to be given routinely to dogs , and it is not meant to be given at the same time as other shots. Vets continually ignore warnings, and then ignore the adverse reactions too! They cant have it both ways IMO.......

The Australian Proheart shot is THREE times the dosage of the 6 monthly Proheart that was being used overseas. This product was removed from use due to too many adverse reactions,seizures, deaths etc, yet we give THREE times the dose to our Australian animals :laugh:

You can read about Vaccinations & Heartworm shots on a page on my website if you like, there is a letter from the manufacturer of Proheart 12 on there "Wyeth", and it clearly states the product is not to be used routinely only when no other form of heartworm can be administered, as I said Vets here ignore it.........

Visit My Website

i have just seen a lovely border collie that has the most amazing hair loss and weeping sore that appeared after she was given the annual heart wormer.

Her owner and the vets have no clue and she has been given lots of steroids and other potions in the hope of managing it.

She had no idea that it may have been from the shot and will now put her onto a monthly heartwormer once the 12 months is over.

Many pet people do not have the resources of those on DOL and would have no clue as vets are on the whole clueless about adverse reactions as well.

Please ensure this adverse reaction is reported, as they never are, and so people happily continue jabbing their pets not knowing the dangers...... :o

Proheart is not supposed to be given routinely to dogs , and it is not meant to be given at the same time as other shots. Vets continually ignore warnings, and then ignore the adverse reactions too! They cant have it both ways IMO.......

The Australian Proheart shot is THREE times the dosage of the 6 monthly Proheart that was being used overseas. This product was removed from use due to too many adverse reactions,seizures, deaths etc, yet we give THREE times the dose to our Australian animals :laugh:

You can read about Vaccinations & Heartworm shots on a page on my website if you like, there is a letter from the manufacturer of Proheart 12 on there "Wyeth", and it clearly states the product is not to be used routinely only when no other form of heartworm can be administered, as I said Vets here ignore it.........

Visit My Website

Thanks Cavandra I will take it furthur.

I have lost a lot of respect for my vet today who I really trusted.

I was told that it was better to do both shots together that way you wouldn't forget, as a reminder is sent out each year.

I have printed off the Wyeth letter and will check your site.

Thankyou. I feel I have really let my little girl down.

Wolf Eyes that is so tragic :laugh:

What compensation did the Vet offer you for this blunder ?

I know of a pup that was given the heartworm, and OVER vaccinated also, she started having seizures.....They are not to give it to dogs under 12 months of age , the Vet ignored it then wouldnt take responsibilty for this perfectly normal dog that suddenly became sick..........Anyway, she was detoxed through a Homeopathic Vet & she is seizure free now, but she is lucky, as so many Australian dogs are called epileptic, when in reality it is a drug reaction causing inflamation of the brain (encephalitis), the dog keeps getting pumped with vaccine each year without the owner having a clue it is what is causing the problem !!!!!

I was reading on an American Vet forum how they recommened people take legal action against their Vet rather than the drug companies , as most cases are being won in court this way. The Vets over there apparantly should be warning their clients of the dangers of ALL vaccines before adminstering them, and a consent form signed, which most do not do .......They most certainly dont do that here!

We dont recommend to our pup owners the heartworm jab & most certainly shouldnt be given on the same day.

The problem is too many pet owners dont ask questions.Ask your vet why,reactions,benefits etc etc.

Its like the vets that give C7 why when most dogs arent in areas that makes them high risk.

Most certainly ensure the vet has reported it but we are also finding far to many vets are handing out print out vacc sheets only & even with the cards arent placing the sticker of the brand/batch number .The sticker is supllied with the vacc & is the record for any problems or future reference so if your vet isnt placing the sticker also insist on that ,The manufactures supply them .

I used the pro heart injection with my previous dog, found it wasn't great.

In what way chloebear, what sort of reaction did your dog have?

Before getting the proheart needle, we never had a problem taking her to the vet and getting needles, when she was given the proheart needle she became very worked up and aggressive, breathing rapid and frothing at the mouth. Every trip to the vet after that she had to be muzzled, was listed as a danagerous dog and took a couple of staff to hold her down to give her the needles. I even got OH to try taking her and same problem. He couldn't beleive the change in our dog.

My vets don't like the annual heartworm needle and I don't need any more evidence than that. I would never use it.

I am surprised that your vet would give both a vaccination and a heartworm injection all at once. Seems like such a lot for your dog to process all at once.

My puppy buyers are under strict instructions NEVER to have a heart worm imjection and that they are NEVER to go above a c3 vaccination, unless they have to kennel their dogs at some stage and a c5 is required.

I look back now and think what I have done to my puppies and adults in the past is horendous and I'm ashamed of it to be honest, but at the time I didn;t know any better and of course followed the vets advice.