Allergic Reaction

mysticpaw

Same thing happened to a client of mine at the salon. He's been ahving the c5 and prohart and never had a problem but his eyes swelled up and his breathing went erratic! Wonder ifit was the bad batch. The vet tried to tell my client that it was an allergic reation to c5 but hes always had it. Just never had it at the same time as the prohart. usually a few weeks apart.

Hrmmm??? :thumbsup:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My previous shepherd girl died from internal bleeding 6 years ago. It wasnt until reading this forum a while back that I realised it was only a few days after receiving her heartworm needle. I had never put the two together before that.

I will never give my dogs that again.

My previous shepherd girl died from internal bleeding 6 years ago. It wasnt until reading this forum a while back that I realised it was only a few days after receiving her heartworm needle. I had never put the two together before that.

I will never give my dogs that again.

Most Australian Vets arent associating reactions like this to the injection either! They start treating dogs for epilepsy when in fact the seizures are from the vaccine..........

I have a client a little Maltese who every year gets a cocktail of rubbish (never been to a boarding kennel or obedience or anywhere else that requires it), and every year she has an adverse reaction......Huge very painful cyst at the site of injection, extremely sick & generally "flat",& then panting like a crazy thing..........every year this happens & every year the same Vet injects her, and then puts her on a drip the next day........

This Vet says to the owner that it is all worth this hassle & bad reaction each year as they wouldnt want her to get Distemper! These sorts of ridiculous statements have the pet owner convinced they are doing the right thing..........I would like to know when this Vet has ever seen a case of Distemper actually :thumbsup: This dog will die soon, how much can her tiny system take of this trauma, Distemper vaccine lasts 8 years (min) in a dogs system, so why is she going to get Distemper & where will she get it from anyway LOL Stoooopid remarks.......

My sister Wei reacted badly to a vaccination, he developed numerous complications. I personally would have put him to sleep at the age of two or so but she persisted on as she loved him, he had skin conditions, joint problems, growth plate issues and he ended up being deformed. You could write a novel with his vet notes and she spents tens of thousands on him during his lifetime.

Ive been reading this with dread... for the past 6- 7 years ive been giving my girls both the heartworm needle and c5 at the SAME time YEARLY and the last few years the vet uped it to c7 -:rofl: none of my girls have ever had any kind of reaction, they are both due NOW to be re-done but after reading this im so scared and confused?? DO I or DONT I ?

Do I re - VACC ? If YES what should i ask my vet to give ? c3 , c5 , c7, ?

and whats best for heartworm? Tablets daily just wont work for ME ?

DAM DOL ! :rofl::offtopic:

I'm about to get my new puppy - and planned on never going above a C3 - is that fine?

I intend to give the daily heartworm tabs, at what age should they start that?

Ive been reading this with dread... for the past 6- 7 years ive been giving my girls both the heartworm needle and c5 at the SAME time YEARLY and the last few years the vet uped it to c7 -:rofl: none of my girls have ever had any kind of reaction, they are both due NOW to be re-done but after reading this im so scared and confused?? DO I or DONT I ?

Do I re - VACC ? If YES what should i ask my vet to give ? c3 , c5 , c7, ?

and whats best for heartworm? Tablets daily just wont work for ME ?

DAM DOL ! :rofl::offtopic:

It looks like you do Agility (from pics) ??? If so wont you need "proof" of vacc for your Club? If they do require it I would recommend you get a Titer Test done & ask for the results in print so you can use that as proof your dogs have immunity. Titer Tests (blood test) means more than any Vaccs certificate, as it prooves your dogs are immune, whereas many dogs that get annual jabs are not immune at all, as they are not able to ever become immune, so the owner for all the years of the dogs life has been wasting $$$ injecting the dog as they can never become immune (some breeds like Weimeraners fall in this category) there is no point giving them vaccs at all.

Your dogs had lifetime immunity after the age of 12 months, occassionally they may need another booster when they are old, but a Titer Test is a good way of proving to yourself your dog is immune rather than taking my word for it, or any Vets word stating the opposite to what I am saying if you get my drift.......

As far as heartworm goes, I give my dogs a monthly one, I say monthly, but they are good for 6 weeks, so if you are late giving it it doesnt matter much. I only give them medication through mosquito season. I also buy large dog ones & do 4 dogs per tablet, much cheaper that way.

I give my 2 c5 and heartworm vac but at diferent times not at the same and they are fine. Id say that Amerykus if they have had it before and been ok I wouldnt worry to much. maybe just space the vaccs a couple of weeks apart?

The problem is that your dog can have no reaction for years then suddenly have one, and many dogs have no reaction at the time but build up in their system over years to react later in life in the form of arthritis, cancer etc........If we humans had a Hepatitis injection every year I think it would make us very sick eventually, and that is what we are doing to our pets ;) "killing them with kindness"

I see you are in SA, you are lucky indeed as Dr Jean Dodds is the guest speaker at the Golden Retriever National in May, to get a good knowledge of what Vaccines do to our dogs this is a seminar not to be missed :thumbsup:

One of my dogs reacted badly to her C5 vaccination, she seemed fine at first if a little quiet, but by the time I got home she could not move at all. I put her down and she would just collapse on the floor, her gums were white so I rushed her back to the vets. Within a few hours she could move normally and within a few days she was back to herself but I no longer vaccinate her.

Apparantly it's the kennel cough component of the C5 injection which can cause adverse reactions.

Here is a very inetresting article about heartworm. The more I read about all the chemicals we pump into our dogs bodies the more I look at alternatives.

So far, all my dogs are 100% raw fed (for a number of years now). For the past 2 years I have had my dogs titre tested instead of vaccinated. Considering that I have had many pound dogs come thru my home in the past 2-3 years and my dogs haven't even caught kennel cough from them suggests that I am doing the right thing for my dogs in terms of strengthening their immune systems by lessening the amount of chemicals which are pumped into their bodies. I am currently overdue with their heartworm preventatives and am considering doing twice yearly heartworm tests instead.

I think it's really time we started questioning our vets about all the crap we inject into our dogs bodies. Are our vets here in Australia up to date with all the current research etc being done on annual vaccinations & the impact they have on immune systems / adverse reactions of heartworm injections etc??? In my opinion it's the pharmaceutical companies which are taking pet owners for a ride. Annual vaccs, heartworm prevenatives etc are the bread & butter business of a vet practice - and where do vets buy these from - pharmaceutical companies ..... and who set the protocols - pharmaceutical companies ...... do we see a pattern here???

Sorry - but this topic really gets me hot under the collar ..... the more research I do the more it comes down to money and not the welfare of our pets.

I give my 2 c5 and heartworm vac but at diferent times not at the same and they are fine. Id say that Amerykus if they have had it before and been ok I wouldnt worry to much. maybe just space the vaccs a couple of weeks apart?

The problem is that your dog can have no reaction for years then suddenly have one, and many dogs have no reaction at the time but build up in their system over years to react later in life in the form of arthritis, cancer etc........If we humans had a Hepatitis injection every year I think it would make us very sick eventually, and that is what we are doing to our pets :) "killing them with kindness"

I see you are in SA, you are lucky indeed as Dr Jean Dodds is the guest speaker at the Golden Retriever National in May, to get a good knowledge of what Vaccines do to our dogs this is a seminar not to be missed :laugh:

I can understand finding what is causing the reactionc but the suggestion here to me is not to vaccinate? Is that correct?

I find the idea of not vaccinating terrorfying. I would chance a reaction rather than chance parvo or anyother illness like that.

For me the remote possibility of an allergic reaction rather then the near certainty or illness if i dont is a small worry for 24hrs compared to a lifetime of worry or are they gonna cath something. Only one out of I dont know how many hundreds of clients I have, have had bad reactions. Thats the same as this cancer vaccine for younger women. Some reacted babdly but most were fine. Small price to be vaccinated against cancer I say. But thats my way of looking at things.

GoldiesRgreat, this is exactly the problem, your dogs were vaccinated when they had a shot after 12 months of age (adult immune system). You need to understand what Vaccinations are & how they work.........The dog got T cells at his first adult vaccination.....he cant get any more T cells than he got at 12 months, so you could inject him every day & he wont get any more (it is impossible), he either has them or he doesnt.........All you do when you inject annually is make them sick eventually, or nothing if you are lucky.....

Your concern about your dog getting a dreaded disease is how Vets sell the product,that is the spiel they give... they are brainwashed by the manufacturers themselves, there is MORE risk your dog will contract the very diseases you are injecting it for due to ruining the immune system with annual vaccines.....That is why so many vaccinated dogs get Kennel Cough.

Vaccines last up to 10 years in the dogs system, can you tell me why people keep giving them more & more each year :dropjaw: It is a rip off- a con job, making billions for the drug companies.

I have heaps of links on Vaccine damage on my site Website As I said before you need to go to the seminar at the GR National, Dr Jean Dodds is a world expert in the field, you will walk away very knowledgeable & hopefully educate your Vet & your clients, better still would be get your Vets to attend also!

Dr Dodds will tell you NOT ever to use the heartworm shot ever.......and recommend Titer tests or a 3 yearly protocol (the compromise) ....Titer tests are better, as you can see if levels drop, Distemper should last 10 years in most dogs, whereas Parvo probably wont, so you can see when the Parvo drops & vaccinate just for Parvo & not give a full cocktail of stuff your dog does not need..........This is just an example.........A vaccination card means nothing, as your dog may not be able to become immune, so no amount of injecting will do anything, a Titer test will show if your dogs can use the vaccine or not. This is another reason so many annually vaccinated dogs get Parvo as the vaccinations do not work on these particular dogs (like Weimeraners), without a Titer test none of us know if our dogs are immunised or not basically!

The problem is that your dog can have no reaction for years then suddenly have one, and many dogs have no reaction at the time but build up in their system over years to react later in life in the form of arthritis, cancer etc........If we humans had a Hepatitis injection every year I think it would make us very sick eventually, and that is what we are doing to our pets :swear: "killing them with kindness"

I see you are in SA, you are lucky indeed as Dr Jean Dodds is the guest speaker at the Golden Retriever National in May, to get a good knowledge of what Vaccines do to our dogs this is a seminar not to be missed :dropjaw:

I can understand finding what is causing the reactionc but the suggestion here to me is not to vaccinate? Is that correct?

I find the idea of not vaccinating terrorfying. I would chance a reaction rather than chance parvo or anyother illness like that.

For me the remote possibility of an allergic reaction rather then the near certainty or illness if i dont is a small worry for 24hrs compared to a lifetime of worry or are they gonna cath something. Only one out of I dont know how many hundreds of clients I have, have had bad reactions. Thats the same as this cancer vaccine for younger women. Some reacted babdly but most were fine. Small price to be vaccinated against cancer I say. But thats my way of looking at things.

I don't think there is a case for not vaccinating at all but Dr Jean Dodds is saying that after the puppy vaccs plus a booster one year later - your dog is pretty much covered for life. We are over vaccinating our animals these days - there is absolutely no need to vaccinate every year. In fact, by vaccinating every year, we are making our animals sick. Auto immune disorders & skin problems are just some of the problems which come about from over vaccinating our pets. There is absolutely no scientific justification for annual vaccination. According to Dr Ronald D Schultz, head of pathobiology at Wisconsin University, and the world’s most eminent expert on canine and feline immunology, “once immunity to a virus exists, it persists for years or for the life of an animal”.

Vets, however well-meaning, are educated in colleges that rely upon vaccine and pharmaceutical companies for funding in the form of sponsorship, research grants, scholarships etc . Colleges reliant upon big business for funding, and few people are willing to bite the hand that feeds them. Vets’ education with regard to vaccines tends to stop beyond “do it”.

Our knowledge about immunity has improved greatly over the past five years. Some of the information coming to light about vaccines will present an ethical and economic challenge to veterinarians. But your pet deserves to come first, over and above any such challenges.

If your vet says annual vaccination is necessary, ask him if he has heard of the research coming out of America, and the advice that annual vaccination is unnecessary. If he has heard of this research, he cannot dismiss your questions. If he has not heard of it, then he lacks the knowledge to advise.

I asked my vet about annual vaccinations and he agreed that we over vaccinate - but he also said that he is not really willing to voluntarily advise his clients about this until the pharmaceutical companies change the vaccination protocols. If a client asks about annual vaccinations he is more than willing to discuss it, but from a legal stand point he's not willing to confirm reducing the frequency until the the pharmaceutical companies confirm to do so - he is worried about possible litigation. He supports my choices - he knows I have pound dogs coming thru my home and he still supports my decisions. We conduct annual titre tests to check 'immunity'. As long as there is an immune response to the titre test - it means there is no need to vaccinate at that time.

All vaccination packaging carry warnings that they should be injected only in HEALTHY animals. A dog or cat should never be vaccinated when they show any signs of illness. If your pet is already ill, his immune system may not be able to produce antibodies the vaccination is supposed to stimulate; and your pet stands a chance of being overwhelmed by the small amount of virus in the vaccine, and succumbing to the illness he's being vaccinated against.

These days I think it's important to take the time to do some research and question your vet, then make educated choices regarding the welfare of your pet.

My vet was a bit reluctant to discuss vaccination protocol at first, other than what the pharmaceutical companies issue as their standard speil. They too may not speak so frankly to other clients but they have certainly taken my concerns on board and I have discussed my research with them and what protocol I will now be following.

Forgot to mention above that an 'allergic reaction' may include hives, facial swelling or even nausea - but the worst allergic reaction can be anaphylaxis ie. shock or sudden death.

For the sake of your beloved pets - do some research and question your vet - ultimately by over vaccinating our pets - we are slowly killing them. :dropjaw:

Edited by westielover

My vet was a bit reluctant to discuss vaccination protocol at first, other than what the pharmaceutical companies issue as their standard speil. They too may not speak so frankly to other clients but they have certainly taken my concerns on board and I have discussed my research with them and what protocol I will now be following.

:dropjaw: Good on you Warley - your animals will only benefit from your research and decisions.

:dropjaw: Good on you Warley - your animals will only benefit from your research and decisions.

My current litter is the start of happier healthier dogs. It's not an easy decision and I felt for a long time that it was a leap into the unknown, but the more you read and the better understanding you have , blind freddy can see that it's better for your dogs.

This also means keeping puppies until they are 10 weeks old but another couple of weeks here is nothing really and the owners of the current pups are excited but the wait has been explained to them, as has what they need to do with regards to vaccinations in the future.

Something that I would suggest to breeders is that they discusss early on with the puppy buyers what they will be doing with regards to vaccs and a basic rundown of why. They should also get their puppy buyers to see their vet ( when their puppy is confirmed ) and make sure they have C3 in stock or they can get a vile prior to the next vacc date. I had one of the buyers do that last week, so they knew the vile was at the vets and waiting, they were questioned by the vets why they were not using a hiher vacc than C3.

Not last year but the year before, I had my dog trailer full of dogs going for a booster, I had asked the vet prior to the day that c3 be onhand for X amount of dogs, only to get there and find they only had C4. It's fine for adults who can wait another couple fo weeks while they ordered it in but not if you have a baby that needs to be done for the first or second time.

I'm hoping that as we educate our puppy buyers, they can educate the vets :swear: