Misdiagnosed Abuse

Interesting thread, however I must admit to not having read all of the posts - lack of time....sorry!

Cosmolo, totally agree with you. Many years ago I was having some email contact with the well known behaviourist Bill Campbell from the US (I don't normally name drop but with someone of Bill's calibre....well :) ). He is a lovely man who is extremely knowledgeable and wise. He stated in one of his emails to me that when working with rescue dogs....(not verbatim)... it is a total waste of time trying to figure out what caused the dog to act the way it does, best to spend your energies on working with and rectifying the problem.

Tonymc, whilst some have 'attacked' you for your post, I too have come across, in my line of business, those who have rescued dogs and almost always seem to emanate some sort of personal gratification in saying that they rescued a dog that was abused. It seems to be the natural human instinct to mother and protect one that is less fortunate than us.

Two of my dogs are rescues and whilst I could make excuses for their behaviour when they initially came to me, so many years down the track....there are no excuses to be made anymore. Any part of their bad behaviour is now my fault entirely!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a story that illustrates your point Tony.

When I was working in rescue, a young girl came in to surrender her dog. The dog was well cared for and obviously adored its owner. The young girls story was that her mother had kicked out of home because her mothers new 'boyfriend' didn't like having her around. The young girl had found youth accomodation but wasn't allowed to have her dog there and she didn't trust leaving the dog at her mothers place because she didn't believe it would get looked after.

The dogs confidence and temperament seemed fine until its young owner left sobbing in tears. It was almost like flicking a switch....all of a sudden, the dog started stress panting and shying away from things that just 5 minutes before it was fine about.

I rehomed this dog to a lady that was to become a friend of mine and she was fully advised of the history of the dog as we knew it. Soon after we were at a doggy event and my friend had her adopted dog there. I over heard her tell a few people that the dog had been abused.....that was obvious because of the way the dog was stressing and shying away. I pulled her aside and re-iterated the dogs history and told her that it hadn't been abused, and that it was totally calm, confident and happy until its young owner left. My friend kind of vaguely looked through me, walked away and started telling someone else how she had adopted this dog because it had been abused.........

In my opinion, the dog just had not reached a level of confidence about its new life yet.

Some folk will try to turn posts into a cheap shot psychoanalysis of people they have never met and know nothing at all about.

Tony, I usually find common sense in your posts but it's damned arrogant to accuse people who dare to disagree with you as having undealt with baggage. That's taking a personal shot at people who perhaps think you might have a load of undealt with baggage yourself which may explain why you seem to feel the need to do this at times.

:bottom: Great post cavNrott, totally agree.

The way this thread has gone unfortunately tells a story about where some people are coming from.

Notice to the People regularily posting in here how we all get along,have healthy discussion and can openly debate matters all putting our own views across while respecting other people.Sadly it seems not everybody shares our way of healthy discussion.

I am sick of this "It has to be about me " mentality whenever anything is posted!!!To those who see everything as being about them, go away and grow up!!!!!

I ask to those who immaturely took it as about them,did I specifically name you?No of course not, so again grow up

Why do People take things as it has to be about them?

People do so in some cases because,they know they are carrying out practises a post may describe.This of course touches upon the Truth and to some the truth is to be avoided at all times.

Another reason of course is some use a post for attention seeking.Some will of course insist the post is about them as in their mind, that gives them license to throw mud,cause trouble and bring attention to themselves.Some poor characters need attention and do not care how they get it!!!!!

Lastly immature emotional development within People causes the belief within that everything has to be about them!!!Its an extension of a Child before he or she forms their own Identity and they are still at the stage where they see the World and themselves as one.Hence the belief that everything is about them.

Now all those who immaturely took this as being about them this is what you do.Go back to the very start of the thread and read very slowly and carefully and note that nobody was named at all!!!!!!And lastly wake up!!!!!! Tony

See Tony, you are doing it again. Flaming and doing a two bit psychoanalysis of people. Why do you feel the need to do this so frequently?

You made this thread about people, not about dogs. If you are going to label people then you would surely know you will offend. Most people strongly object to being called do gooders or any other derogatory names by someone who hasn't a clue who they are or what they stand for.

I agree that some people post attention seeking posts and to be quite truthful I think that's exactly what you have done in this thread. You surely must have had some insight that people would object because you've made some very offensive comments about people here. Perhaps you might put a little thought into what you post before you hit reply.

YOU have made this thread about YOU. What do we make of that? Maybe some introspection is required.

As for rescue dogs being abused. Some are, some are not. With my rescue girl whatever happened to her before she came to me has never been a subject for discussion. It simply IS. What IS now is what I concern myself with. She is not referred to as an abused dog because I don't know her history.

People are people and will do "people" things, like stretch the truth so that they can satisfy some inner need to be seen as doing the 'right' thing.

I wish I had a dime for every person I met with a rescue dog who tells either myself or my trainers that their dog was the victim of abuse or neglect. I'd be a very rich person. I often wonder why this occurs! Is it that the dog has truly been abused or is it just a notion that comes with a dog from a pound or rescue organisation. Perhaps the word "rescue" is what triggers these thoughts in some people?? If the dog comes from a "rescue" organisation, then it must have been 'rescued' from something nasty. Others may simply like to be seen as "doing good". I am trying not to generalise here, since not everyone is the same and those dogs who have been truly abused do not lie.

I don't think Tonymc meant to 'attack' people, but rather point out what he sees as a predictable pattern behaviour within society.

Thank you again Kelpie-I for some rationality and truth!!!!Very refreshing at the moment!!!

CavnRott, you are continually misreading the contexts of People"s thread and where the person is coming from.

I do not have the time or inclination to keep rehashing old ground.My Horses and dogs pick up on things much quicker than some on here.

CavnRott, your twisting things to suit yourself and trying to score points or whatever has got very old very quick!!!!

Please beaware I am not interested in any Childish games.Please add to the Threads with information of value but leave the Games in the School yard.

Other People use this section and they wish to continue to be able to discuss things freely, so have some consideration for them.

That is my final word on the matter as I have bigger fish to fry. Tony

='Tonymc' date='19th Dec 2007 - 11:17 PM' post='2266631']

CavnRott, you are continually misreading the contexts of People"s thread and where the person is coming from.

Thank you for your assessment of me Tony. Goes to prove that nothing changes when we don't change. I commented only on your posts, no one elses. Who are these "People"s" you speak of?

I do not have the time or inclination to keep rehashing old ground.My Horses and dogs pick up on things much quicker than some on here.

I agree with that comment. Some people don't seem able to cover any ground but the familiar.

CavnRott, your twisting things to suit yourself and trying to score points or whatever has got very old very quick!!!!

Nope, I didn't twist anything, simply commented on your posts. Perhaps you can direct me to where I twisted anything. I don't need to score points. I don't have the need to impress people.

Please beaware I am not interested in any Childish games.Please add to the Threads with information of value but leave the Games in the School yard.

If you don't want games then don't play them with silly psychobabble.

Other People use this section and they wish to continue to be able to discuss things freely, so have some consideration for them.

Other people use all sections for free discussion. You may like to cease trying to undermine people and transparently attempt to assume some kind of superior authority out of consideration for your fellow forum members.

That is my final word on the matter as I have bigger fish to fry. Tony

Good idea, better to fry fish than to flame people.